1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

News: BOTM 58 - Starts 16 September

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by DynamicSpirit, Sep 11, 2012.

1. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

BOTM 58: Huayna Capac battles Deity

Game Details:

It's time for a deity game. Now, the problem is, deity is clearly far too easy for all you clever GOTM players, so I need some way to make it harder. After much agonizing I decided on a cunning plan. You would play on an islands map. Nothing mysterious, each Civ has its own island, and there's tons of tiny islands across the world too. Now for the dastardly bit. To make your choice of where to settle massively harder, You start with full knowledge of your starting island. How's that! Upon seeing much choice your advisors will spend the next 5000 years arguing about the decision, by which time some mystery AI (no, I'm not telling you which one - I'm not that mean - will have colonized your land with riflemen before you even have your first city founded and it'll be game over. HA!

Game settings:
    Civilization: Huayna Capac of the Incans
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Deity
    Map: Islands.
    World Wrap: Cylindrical.
    Mapsize: Standard
    Starting Era: Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No goody huts, no random events.
    Victory Conditions: All enabled

Huayna Capac of the Incans:
    You are Industrious and Financial, and start with Mysticism and Agriculture.

The Industrious trait +50% wonder production and double production speed of forges.
    The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that has 2 or more commerce.

Unique unit: Quechua (replaces Warrior)
    The quechua units have double strength against archery units and also start with combat 1. They share with warriors +25% city defence. On deity, with your own big island, methinks they'll need all that...

Unique building: Terrace (replaces Granary)
    The terrace gives +2 culture/turn in addition to the usual granary benefits of requiring only half as much accumulated excess food to grow a population point, and +1 health for rice, corn and wheat.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

In case it's not clear: Your starting settler is the unit on the plains, the quechua is two tiles to the west on the forest. The labels for copper, iron and horses are visible in this screenshot but don't appear in the actual game. There's one sea tile west of the silver that is workable from the starting island but not visible at the start - that tile has no resources on it.

Adventurer Class bonuses:
    You play the game on immortal level (but the AI still has the same starting units as on contender).

Challenger Class Equalizers:
    Your starting quechua has just thrown himself into the see in terror after seeing the map of the starting island. Bye bye quechua!

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 16 September 2012, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 16 October 2012.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Warlords or Civ4 vanilla), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Warlords or Civ4 vanilla), patched to version 3.19, and with the MacBUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the MacBUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

2. Mylene

Mylene Deity

This will be easy ;)
    Was hoping for sumthing like Charly or Toku..!

3. georgjorge

georgjorge Deity Wannabe

Yay for a new BOTM!

Though I hate hour-long SIP decisions...

4. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

I like how you have even put up signs to tell us where the strat resources are. Not sure where to settle, but it will probably have to be on the marble.

We start with agriculture, so we can farm the single dry rice. Fishing would have been nice :)

5. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Prince

Oh, how evil thou art! :lol:We can discuss not only where to settle our capital but also where to settle every other city on the island. This will cause the civfanatics server to crash when everyone posts detailed plans of their empire-to-be. And then nobody can download the starting save. Now that's :evil:
    The problem for me is that while deity is too easy for the clever players, I on the other hand am not all that clever.:rolleyes:

:hmm: are these strategic resources the only ones on the visible island? If we have the "full knowledge of your starting island" then we would know if there's oil, coal or uranium out there? Please clarify either we have only those 3 strategic resources or there may well be other advanced resources that are not labeled?

I'm going to guess there's some other stuff available but you did not mark every aluminum or coal resource because we won't be seeing or using them for the next few milennias to come.

I'll either settle on the marble or hike across the island and settle on the stone. Right?

6. DynamicSpirit

I look forward to seeing the screenshots of everyone's detailed plans (obviously, made before anyone opens the game :mischief:

Good point, and you are correct, I marked all the iron, copper and horses but didn't bother marking any of the later resources (if any are present). Didn't really expect anyone will survive long enough to have any use for them :lol:

7. DynamicSpirit

By the way, for anyone thinking of wandering, bear in mind that in my test games, I was seeing animals by turn 6 (starting turn is 0) and barbarian warriors by turn 17. I don't know if those are the earliest possible dates or whether it's possible for them to appear a turn or so earlier but they just happened not to in my games.

8. Mylene

Mylene Deity

I think there's 1 interesting spot for wandering, pigs/cows.
    2 very nice tiles for 1 tech and overall quicker start than work boats, buuut..spending 3 turns for a low commerce Capi on Deity is not really recommended.
    Moving for stone is crazy beans :)
    Think settling on marble looks like our best option here, after all. We could build a Quechi before fishing, spawn bust early.

9. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Alright, My will try another BOTM, although I think she should play them every time regardless. ;)

Yep, SoM was immediately obvious to me. Seafood start sucks, but at least we'll get some FIN commerce and possible GLH here. OR you could go for Oracle>MC>Colossus, but that Copper is so far away.

10. Mylene

Mylene Deity

Pfff, i played Iceolation Lymo ~~

11. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

But no riflemen! :whew:
    That's a relief, wasn't quite sure how to interpret the introduction.

Haven't started the current BOTM - if I manage to win it by the deadline, then maybe I will try this one.

edit:
    Do we want to spawnbust the whole island asap, to avoid diety barbarians? I think we can do it with 5 quechas, except for Copper Isle.
    Sometimes it is nice to let babarians found a city for you. Is that a good or bad idea here?

12. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

IBT5-6 : hardcoded animal spawning.
    ~T11-12: Earliest human barbs per experience.

And by barbarian warriors, did you literally mean just warriors...?

Lymond wants you on noble too.

13. jesusin

jesusin Ant GOTM Staff

Great, I already know where my 3 Legendary will be! :)
    I don't know where/when/how to get religions, though.

I was thinking 2 Quechua would be more or less enough to fogbust the island. We are not scared of barb archers, are we? So we have some time before Barb Axes appear.

Any ideas on how to connect Stone, without deranging your settling pattern too much from the ideal locations?

Will anyone post a test game?

And finally one question for DynamicSpirit:
    In the past we have seen high level games where barbs were only Warriors for some time, maybe due to the starting save not incorporating the tech Archery for the Barbs, as it should. Is this the case too?
    a) yes, barbs don't know Archery
    b) no, barbs have all the techs they usually have at the start at this level
    c) don't be so curious! you will need to play the game to know!

14. sossos

sossos King

Islands make deity harder? I take it as a humor. AIs don't know how to play aquimap.

Isn't it a sushi map for score freaks?

15. Mylene

Mylene Deity

@Sossos this setup should make Deity easier than normal.
    Best leader, marble and stone, gold and silver (great with IND forges, we dun need Pyras so badly here).
    No danger of early DoW, Barbs usually no problemo with Quechis.

Biggest ? here should be wonder dates, on Deity you can beeline Oracle or GLH and still lose them sometimes, and our start is not the fastest with seafood and no fishing.

16. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

I wouldn't be surprised if many people made test maps.

What's the catch with this map? Except it has huge tediousness potential with galley/galleon wars and Sushi afterwards.

BTW, very imaginitive title DS.:lol:
    You are in a row.

17. Greeder

Greeder Warlord

I this correct info? : The quechua ... start with combat 1.
    Units guide claims no such thing.
    DS you're absolutely right with those 5000 years wondering about starting pos, buuuut, oh buuut, it will take place BEFORE game starts! Ha! Gotcha! Well, seriously, I've just spent half an hour in front on monitor during work hours... That was evil from you.
    And the more evil is that I have high hopes for actually finishing this game.. and it would probably be my usual disaster. :sad:

Do I understand barbs spawn rules correctly? I mean, scouting unit is supposing to prevent barbs from spawning 2 tiles from it, right? So quechua on hill 1SW from Gold will prevent barbs from spawning on the whole peninsula. And with second quechua on Iron they will stop barbs on whole West part of island (from Pigs and Silver westward). Is it true or I am wrong somehow?

18. Conquistador 63

Conquistador 63 Deity

No deity player here, but here goes an effort at dotmapping the 1st 6 cities on the initial area.
    After some thinking, it looks like city 6 should be settled before 4 and 5, but I was unable to edit the picture.
    Can you (all) criticize it?

I might as well try culture this game.

" align="" border="0" />

19. jesusin

jesusin Ant GOTM Staff

Well, many small differences with my initial ideas.
    Only one serious flaw: the West Crabs remain unused in your plan.

20. Conquistador 63

Conquistador 63 Deity

^Somehow I missed that. Need to add another city, SW of gold will do the trick.