1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

News: BOTM 79 Results and Congratulations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Well, that was fun. Scolari fortunately didn't have to face the Germans and was able to handle Netherlands, compiling 36 victories with one loss (to Australia (Khmer)). The map was even easier than intended; I'm glad you all enjoyed it. The four that took the Challenger save (without the extra scouts) all took awards or medals. :trophy2: There were some very early victories (225AD Conquest & 500AD Religious), 2nd & 3rd place had the same date with different victory conditions.

Did anyone build 12 soccer stadiums to claim the World Cup Host prize? :popcorn: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13315355&postcount=14

Summary of Medal Winners:

Jovan Kukic: 880 AD Conquest Victory, 352,493 points.

hhhawk: 1550 AD Domination Victory, 335,334 points.

Solyaris: 1550 AD Spaceship Victory, 301,963 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

Falabello: 1480 AD Domination Victory, 191,210 points.

evil_spock: 225 AD Conquest Victory, 141,442 points.

WastinTime: 1250 AD Diplomatic Victory, 84,837 points.

Dhoomstriker: 500 AD Religious Victory, 81,491 points.

lymond: 1450 AD Cultural Victory, 53,920 points.

karlis: 1957 AD Domination Victory, 39,763 points.

Other Award Winners:

Ororo: 300 AD :eek: Conquest Victory, 90,202 points.

da_Vinci: 1862 AD Diplomatic Victory, 65,898 points.

zbgayumn: 1610 AD Religious Victory, 57,399 points.

terminator3k: 1908 AD Spaceship Victory, 46,941 points.

Orel: 1924 AD Cultural Victory, 15,463 points.

paulcardiff: 1942 AD Cultural Loss, 3,095 points.

Unsurprisingly, nobody settled in place. I gave you roads so all settling locations were equally close. Plus I hate that the AI doesn't road their oasis. I'm impressed that there was such diversity in settling. In hindsight, which is best?
    Here's where everyone settled.

The Small Print:
    The numbers by each player's name indicate the turn settled on (starting turn is 0). Players are colour coded by game class (challenger=red, adventurer=blue). Symbols indicate victory condition, if there's no symbol then the player either retired or was defeated. The yellow border indicates the land that was visible at the start of the game.

>> See the full results here.
    >> See the updated global rankings here.
    >> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
    >> Award symbols are listed here.

2. Falabello

Falabello Prince

Hi everybody! Olá a todos!
    In this game I'm indeed (also in RL) representing Brazil :salute:!
    (from what I've been seeing here in XOTMs it's just me and conquistador 63).

What can I say - our "One Player Team" would not go so far :nono:, even with him playing... So, congrats to Germans - it was well deserved :thumbsup:!

But here, in my humble campaign, I did my best and I think it was a good job. My real intention was score and I almost reach one of my targets: 200k :D! I know that this award is symbolic, because it doesn't represent the possible date to achieve Domination. At least, it's initiated the hard way to a legendary Eptathlon Award :lol:!

About the second representative, c63, there's not much to talk :worship:!

Congrats to medalists - surpass 300k was very impressive :hatsoff:!
    Congrats to awards winners - also some impressive dates!
    Congrats to all who took part - Civ 4 is still alive!

And thanks Deckhand for one more game - keep up the good work :goodjob:!

3. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Go Aussies!

Well done to the winners, some very impressive dates & scores!

4. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Oh I forgot that challenge. I'm pretty sure I must easily have done that, since I ended the game with - as I recall - around 30 cities, and most of them had them in - I regarded them as essential for happiness during wars in the mid game.

5. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

I settled for visiting art museums and taking in a few operas in my game, over this silly thing called football:D Soccer stadiums were very counter-intuitive to my goals

Congrats Falabello on an excellent Dom campaign. You get better with each game and will soon be rivaling the best of the bunch.

6. Falabello

Falabello Prince

Thanks, sometimes my games go well, but at other times are a disaster :lol:! And the higher leves are still a challenge :sad:.

Rival the best? You're being too generous :thumbsup:! Sometimes I try to read what happens in SGOTM. Surely, the information and knowledge are inside there :eek:. I never participated by two reasons: I have no time and the language would be a problem. So, I have to find out by myself the details that make the difference. I'll keep trying :crazyeye:!

By the way, your Eptathlons (in all three versions) are very close :worship:! Are you trying to achieve them?

Thanks again for the incentive :goodjob:!

7. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

yes indaddydoody! but don't tell anyone ;)

(I'd never notice that Portuguese is your first language. Another way to look at it is participating in SGOTMs just gives you that much more incentive to master your Inglês. Of course, I say that as an arrogant entitled 'Murican)

8. Jastrow

Jastrow Deity

Falabello, you are being much too hard on yourlself considering language. Yes, English is not your native language, but the same is true for a large fraction of us posting on these boards...

Of course, because of this, your posts contain some grammer imperfections. So do many of ours... Mine are certainly full of them. But the point of these posts are not to satisfy our highschool grammer teachers, but simply to communicate.

I have read many of your posts in the past year, and cannot remember a single case where I had any difficulty understand what you meant... You English would therefore definitly not be a problem for participating in sgotm.

As for the time commitement, well that is a seperate stoty, and obviouly one that I cannot comment on....

9. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

Interesting seeing the variety of different places that people settled in. I'm slightly surprised at how many chose not to take advantage of the possible 3-hammer capital you'd get by settling on the stone or marble. I thought getting that was almost a no-brainer.

Incidentally, when I played I settled on the marble, based largely on it being closer to flood plains and having one fewer unproductive desert tiles in its BFC than the stone did. Looking at the map again, I rather regret that - the stone was probably a far better choice. The 1-tile desert difference was really not significant. I'd guess now that the more significant is: The asymmetric arrangement of resources in the starting area - clearly visible at the start - meant settling on the stone would make it easier to put a 2nd city in the central area to pick up loads of resources. The stone would also have been good as both great wall and Stonehenge would have been more useful than normal on this map (although that would be hard to predict at the start).

I also notice quite a few of the medal/award winners settled on the stone.

And @Deckhand - very clever set-up. Especially using the road on the oasis tiles to make sure we could settle on either side of the central area just as easily. :goodjob:

10. Falabello

Falabello Prince

@lymond
    @Jastrow

The main factor that prevents me from participating in SGOTMs is the time (the lack of it). What I see in the posts is a total commitment of their participants, and it demands so much time. If I dared enter the competition, I would be an inexpressive and apathetic participant. When I mention the language, there’s a reason: I can read the posts with some ease (except expressions and other details), but to write is another question. I usually need to open the internet translator and other expressions’ websites to be able to do right (a single text takes a long time :whew:). This way, my time to participate triples… In other words: if English was my native language, it would already be a problem (because RL). Adding my difficult in writing, nowadays is impossible :sad:…

But there's no problem - I'll keep playing CIV here because the spirit of amity and fellowship :pat:! I’ll try to follow one of these games since its beginning to learn more and play better (indeed, my games are stagnant and with a sluggish progress :undecide:).

Another example: I’m uncertain about this phrase – I didn’t understand it right, or the idea. Did I do anything wrong? I don’t know if it’s the case here, but you surely can comment… (or even PM me)! Now I stayed curious :confused:, and scared :scared:...

11. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

:lol:
    @Falabello,

As another non-English as first language speaker, Jastrow's text had some typos. Not a problem, but translation software might not handle it.

it should be "As for the time commitment, well that is a separate story, and obviously one that I cannot comment on...."
    = a different topic and he can't speak for you

12. Jastrow

Jastrow Deity

LOL.... yes, my post had "some" typos, but me being a non-native speaker is not the excuse for that… Rather more to the point here is that I am a horrible typist. :)
    Reading back my post quickly now, I count 8 grotesque typos and one very basic grammar error. When no keyboard is involved, my English is considerably better than that…

And yes, Deckhand is right… I certainly was not saying you did anything wrong… I was just saying that your English is clearly not a problem, and that how much free time you have is not something I can know.

13. Ororo

Ororo King

Congrats to everybody, especially to evil_spock who managed to pull off a faster Conquest victory than myself.

Judging by the submissions, it took me the least amount of time to achieve some sort of a victory (just over two and a half hours). That is quite an achievement for me :)

14. Falabello

Falabello Prince

Ooooops, my fault! I understood everything wrong :rolleyes:! -

Oh my, and it was so obvious :blush: :blush: :blush:...

And the time awards goes to:
    - Ororo: 2:31:25
    - zamint3: 46:37:43

:D!!!

15. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

A look back at my end save shows 28 cities, 23 ball courts (those were the soccer stadiums, right?).

Of course, who knows when I got to 12 ... :dunno:

dV

16. zamint3

zamint3 Emperor

Always nice to win something! :trophy:

17. Falabello

Falabello Prince

I agree :beer:!

On my count, there are only four players with the Epthatlon in the three versions. And you are very, very close :whew:! Good lucky :clap:!