News: BOTM 96 --Starts Nov 15--

kcd_swede

Jag är Viking!½
GOTM Staff

BOTM 96: Willem van Oranje

You play as Willem van Oranje at Prince level, on a small map size (Medium & Small). Against 4 AI, which should make this a pretty fast game to play (Normal speed).

Good luck, and have fun!

Game settings:
Playing as: Willem van Oranje
Rivals: 4 AIs
Difficulty: Prince

Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No goody huts, no random events
Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Medium and Small
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Temperate
Sea level: Medium

Willem is FIN and CRE, and you start with Fishing and agriculture.

The traits give the usual,
Financial +1 commerce on plots with at least 2 commerce.
Creative +2 culture per city. Double production speed of Library, Theater, and Colosseum.

Unique unit: East Indiaman (replaces Galleon)
6 strenght/4 move, cargo 4 units; can enter borders without declaring war

Unique Building: Dike(replaces Levee)
Can build in cities adjacent to rivers OR coast, water tiles +1 hammer

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

No Adventurer Class

No Challenger Class

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 15 Nov 2015, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 15 Dec 2015.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.[/QUOTE]

I won't complain about a lack of food this time, holy moly! :lol:

NW looks attractive for 3 food, 2 shinies and a PH, while leaving barely 4 more food tiles for city #2.

PH is nice, but I'm more tempted to settle NE on the corn. Could be more green land vs coast tiles.

Settling in place, while it would net a River, would be a trap, since then it could become a lot harder to settle a City for the Gems Resource (as you'd have to settle on one of the other sides of the water to get the Gems Resource, due to the "can't settle within 2 squares of another City" rule) and because the Dutch Levee-equivalent doesn't require us to settle on a River if we've settled on the Coast.

In addition to the options suggested, there's also the option of settling on the G Corn NE + N of the Settler (1S of the Gold). If one does so, one can first move NE twice and then move onto that G Corn on the second turn, while still having a movement point remaining to settle on that second turn.

I won't complain about a lack of food this time, holy moly! [emoji38]

NW looks attractive for 3 food, 2 shinies and a PH, while leaving barely 4 more food tiles for city #2.
Yes give me the double corn, double commerce resource on a plains hill start! And a fish as a bonus!

I think I'd be more inclined to settle somewhere to the NE, rather than on the plains hills.
Signs of fresh water would be great.
Improving the gems seems hard if settling 1N1W (i.e. wastes a lot of worker moves).

Is this an Astronomy game ? My guess is yes.

I have a feeling there will be no fresh water for me on this map since I will settle on the PH on T1. This should be a decent Moai Statue city. Might go for a Space Game. May be go for the gold. May be go for both.

I will skip worker and build a WB first and head towards BW. Second city to act as a GS factory to east.

Top Bottom