1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

News: BOTM51 - Starts 20 February

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by neilmeister, Feb 17, 2012.

1. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

Yep, Forts do have some neat uses, Tachy. Honestly though, I don't why everyone has been bringing up the fort in regard to the gold. It's clear from the screenshot that the gold is on the same landmass and likely will be hooked up well before Maths is even teched, much less the worker turns building a fort.

Oh yeah, the port thing is cool. I've used it to get trade routes on non-coastal OCC games.

2. MaxWar

MaxWar Chieftain

[FIXED]
    Im running Win 7 64bit.
    I installed the buffyy Mod and Im having an issue when loading the mod.
    I have not downloaded the save yet.
    :
    Spoiler :
    " align="" border="0" />

I tried the permission procedure In the Vista/win7 issues link provided in the OP but i still get the popup error.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Ok nvm, looks like i got it fixed, I also had to do the procedure #2 for it to work.

3. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

Thanks for the link Tachy. I have played with Forts a plenty since I wanted to get ships across large landmasses through short Panama or Suez canals type or to host air units (pretty awsome [and bogus] use). What I did not know was that forts outside culture borders being able to connect resources within culture via roads.

4. SilentWatcher

SilentWatcher Chieftain

I'm getting my arse kicked on this one. So far behind in tech which is unusual for me. have learnt from the game though! I've read PieceOfMind's excellent article on forts which previously I had never seen the point of:goodjob: Once again massive thanks to neilmeister and KCD :worship: Youve given me more hours of fun than most of my girlfriends put together.. should probably shut up now...

5. MaxWar

MaxWar Chieftain

For my part im doing pretty well so far, but i picked the adventurer save.
    Im almost ready for the 1 AD spoiler.
    Im enjoying this game immensely, thanks to the BOTM crew! :goodjob:

6. WelshGandalf

WelshGandalf Chieftain

Spoiler thread please! I have written my post for it already! :)

7. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

Done. :salute:

8. Jastrow

Jastrow Chieftain

Barbs?

On these settings, does anyone know what date/turns barbs will first appear, and when they will first enter cultural borders? Or a link to where to find this information would be great...

9. pixiejmcc

pixiejmcc Chieftain

I take it we submit the save after the Cristo Redentor is finished? Or do we still have to achieve a victory condition? I beelined the CR. Winning is still very much on the cards but I can't be bothered in all honesty!

10. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

I assure beelining the said wonder won't assure the win position because you need to do everything to be the fastest on tech progress. And it sometimes needs some detours and getting AI friends to helps us for free beakers (tech trade).
    When the economy is settled (industrial age?), then you may beeline I guess.

I guess you need a win to be eligible.

11. pixiejmcc

pixiejmcc Chieftain

I didn't mean winning the GOTM is still on the cards. Just my game :) I'd taken it from the opening post that it was simply a competition to see who got the CR first lol.

12. Conquistador 63

Conquistador 63 Gypsy King

neilmeister, thanks for setting this game up!

Was it a coincidence that this game came right on time to celebrate our world-famous carnival party? :dance: [party] :banana:

I'm up for the sampo challenge - just wished that living less than a couple miles away from said wonder and seeing it every day from my window would give me an advantage...but unfortunately this isn't the case :lol: This being IMM, any win will suffice. :mischief:

Should be a fun game, I haven't even started it but noticed tons of posts already up in the spoiler threads. :)

13. neilmeister

You don't have to win the game to win the Sampo challenge. So, you can submit after you build it if you wish.

14. neilmeister

I saw a news item on it, just at the time I was setting the game up, so I thought it would make a good setup. The first picture I had was of the carnival, but then I thought up the Sampo challenge, and just had to go with Christo Redentor.

15. Folket

Folket Chieftain

I'm just wondering. I do not check the forum that often but I remember that there has been GOTM where the victory conditions are very special. Now all I see is victory conditions that are to win.

I remember for example a game where you were in permanent war with the Vikings and the victory condition was to have the Vikings win a space race as soon as possible. I thought this Cristo Redentor thing was similair but it does not seem to be the BOTM victory condition.

So do people just enjoy play for victory so much that different setups are not that interesting or what are the reason?

16. ZPV

ZPV Short for ZPVCSPLFUIFDPEF

That was a SGOTM - Succession Game of the Month.
    Regular GOTMs are usually "just win" where you can pick your victory condition, and the interest comes from the competition and the variation in settings, but occasionally a variant is enforced.