News: COTM 57 Results and Congratulations

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by AlanH, Mar 3, 2009.

1. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Here are the results for this Monarch level game as the Iroquois.

There were some fast Conquest victories, but Yilar's 10 BC Domination was the fastest victory, and took the Gold Medal !

Summary of Medal Winners:

Yilar: 10 BC Domination Victory, 12,176 points.

Neo666: 150 AD Conquest Victory, 11,754 points.

Kuningas: 320 AD Conquest Victory, 11,525 points.

Fastest Finish Award Winners:

Andronicus: 1120 AD Cultural 100k Victory, 11,017 points.

Garvarg: 1565 AD Spaceship Victory, 7,283 points.

Sima Qian: 1705 AD Diplomatic Victory, 4,144 points.

TheOverseer714: 1876 AD Cultural 20k Victory, 3,647 points.

Other Award Winners:

krakedhalo: 800 AD Conquest Victory, 10,474 points.

UB40: 1846 AD Cultural 100k Victory, 5,217 points.

brokentitle: 1994 AD Domination Victory, 2,634 points.

stvnjsph: 2039 AD Spaceship Victory, 2,155 points.

>> See the full results here.
    >> See the QSC results here.
    >> See the updated global rankings here.
    >> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
    >> Award symbols are listed here.

2. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

I think I feel most impressed by the 100k victory. No SGLs and no cheap buildings here. How did you do it Andronicus?

3. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

And congrats to Yilar for taking the overall top spot! :goodjob:

(Looks like we finally have a tough competition again, like in the good old days, when SirPleb, Moonsinger and others were fighting it out...)

By the way, where do you play MP? I'd like to try that myself sometime, but I have the impression, whenever I log on to GameSpy, there are only boneheads insulting everyone, and not the courteous chevaliers found here on the GOTM site...

Cheers, Lanzelot

4. Yilar

Yilar Prince

http://civ3.civplayers.com/ is the ladder site where I play :)

Civ3 isnt what it has been, so getting into games is not as easy as it use to be.
    Currently there are usually only played 3 different kinds of games;
    "Cton" (named after the inventor): Basically every man for himself, no talking strategy, no trading and war with everyone at all times. Note: It is 1 city elimination, meaning if you lose just 1 city you die.
    "MPT": Tiny map usually 4v4, you don't get to build very much and the war starts very early, this is also 1 city elimination here.
    "Future": You get all techs, and you start with a king, usually played 4v4 and you have kill the other team before they kill you (only conquest win), no elimination here. The future scenario has been slighty tweaked compared to the original civ to balance things out.

Of course we do also play regular teamers on a regular map from time to time, but it's rather rare these days. Common for all games is the fact that they do not last more than 90 turns, as most people cannot commit more than 3 hours per game.

Every 6-7 weeks there's an annual clan championship where there is usually is an "epic" meaning no elimination or turn limit and players can sub out with others from their clan, so they do not have to play for a very long time in one sitting.

Can't denire that there are boneheads outthere, can't really do anything else beside ignore them. Your best bet to try multiplayer is to download gamespy client, sit in lobby for a while and look for the so called "cton" game (note: most of the times you need the gamespy client to send private messages to get the password). Going into team games and showing that you have no clue will only make people angry at you. Most games are usually played between 6pm CET and 6am CET.

One important rule you have to understand when playing multiplayer is the fact that you cannot quit. If you do so, you will get throwned off the ladder. Nobody likes quitters! So make sure you have at least 2-3 hours before starting a game.

5. Andronicus

Andronicus Emperor

srry for late answer

Actually, for an impressive 100k game you cant go past kuningas in COTM15. Jason of 13130 points for gold as well as 850AD finish :king:.

Although there were no cheap buildings with Iroquois, the agri trait was a help with faster growth and pop rushing.

Well the usual way ... take starting continent ASAP, ensuring pyramids and ToA were built here (gifted poly early and allied those I thought had a good shot to get aid of GA).
    Romans and Aztecs duly complied, Rome was captured a little while after completing pyramids and Aztec capital capture was delayed until the turn after ToA completed.
    I then crammed as many towns onto the continent as I could.
    I overdid my MW force building over a hundred when most never saw battle. I would have been better served building more settlers earlier. Took some of the more fertile areas in the northern half of the other continent, but without pyramids I had to rush granary first, then the usual culture builds.

Dont recall when I revolted but got 7 turn anarchy, then culture took off. Whipped libs, cathedrals and colosseums on home continent, using cavs to complete builds in over rushed towns (too much whip unhappiness to grow) or slow growing coastal tundra towns. Most towns were doing 5fpt for whip every 2 turns, some were 10fpt in the flood plains region.
    Spent over an hour per turn for the remaining 50 or so turns - ended with over 2000cpt. On finishing I decided whatever my result this would be my last 100k!

6. Megalou

Megalou Thez worlds are not enuf

Yeah? Perhaps I'll just switch from GOTM to COTM, then. The gold appears heavier here, even for those of us who only get to smell it.

7. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Well, what I meant to say is: for the last couple of years klarius has clearly dominated the scene. Like Kasparov in his best days. But now there are a couple of players (Neo666, Yilar, tao, forgive me, if I forgot one), who are taking turns at taking the top spot. Virtually every month the top spot may change from one to the other. That keeps it exiting.

Lanzelot

8. daheat43

daheat43 Chieftain

How do you guys with under 10 or even 20 hours of play time manage to wrap it up so fast? I'd love to be able to get through some of the older COTM/GOTMs for practice, and it would be way easier if I could go faster. Is it just that you've gotten speedy through familiarity with the game, or do you use governors more, let some details go, or what? 5 hours blows me away.

9. civ_steve

civ_steve Deity Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

Check out this thread for a much earlier discussion on how to speed up game play. By the way, the GOTM Reference Thread has links to the referenced thread and several others that are of varying use for GOTM players. :)

10. Sima Qian

Sima Qian 太史令

Just speaking for myself here, and I'm pretty sure that my techniques for playing games quickly make me a rather lousy player. I'm an incredibly lazy person and always seeking to do less. I dislike micromanaging large empires, so I don't build them. I tend to avoid wars and go for peaceful victory options.

Needless to say, these usually don't result in high-scoring games, and I have a much harder time winning at Deity or Sid.

11. daheat43

daheat43 Chieftain

CivSteve, thanks for that thread. There were a lot of really good ideas in there that I can use. If anyone else is reading that thread now for pointers, I'll add one: BamSpeedy says in his Beyond Sid story that you can hold down B while clicking the target to speed up multiple bombards.

Sima Qian, thanks for your Zen link. I might try that. It would especially good to try that on some of the GOTM games that I don't like as much as COTM but want to play anyway.