1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

News: COTM102 Maya - Pre-game discussion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by mad-bax, Dec 26, 2013.

1. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

COTM102 Maya - Pre-game discussion

Civilization: Maya
    Difficulty: Monarch
    Map size: 80(X) X 80(Y) - small
    Map topology: Cylindrical Archipelago (x-wrap on)
    Rivals: 8 pre-selected aggressive opponents
    Barbarians: Raging
    Victory conditions: All enabled
    Submissions due by: 8th February 2014

Hello everyone and welcome to COTM102. This month you play as Smoke-Jaguar of the Mayan civilisation. Your tribe is endowed with industrious and agricultural traits and has gained the knowledge of masonry and pottery.

The Mayan unique unit is the Javelin Thrower, which replaces the Archer. The Javelin Thrower is more powerful in defence than the Archer, and costs more to build. Additionally, the Javelin Thrower has a one in three chance of capturing and enslaving a conquered enemy unit. That enslaved unit becomes a Mayan Worker.

This game continues to employ the “almost” out-of-the box Conquests scenario, though there are one or two minor tweaks for simple game play balance purposes.

This game has been modified from the standard COTM scenario in order to provide the chance of popping workers from huts in lieu of settlers. Note that it is still possible to pop cities from huts. Any technical or game play issues associated with this change should be reported to the GOTM staff immediately.

You can find the start save here.

Finally, here is your start position.

Attached Files:

2. greatbeyond

greatbeyond King

I am thinking the Maya will either win a culture victory or go to space.

The start area appears to lack resources. Do we wander to find a new home?
    Initially I considered 1NE but I think the water visible is coast and not fresh water.
    The worker will climb the sacred mountain to look for resources. If none are found then SIP will be the choice. Even though we can build a granary right from the start, with no resources it may not be worth it.

With raging barbs we don't dare take too long to decide. However, raging barbs may provide a worker farm courtesy of the jav thrower. A 50% premium to build him is kind of steep. I don't think they'll be the first unit built.

Does the javelin thrower only become available with Archery?

As this is Conquests, should we consider the Philo slingshot? I am inclined to think that choosing to go for it will be risky depending if any other civs start with Alpha. It will also slow down getting Archery and build jav throwers.

3. denyd

denyd Emperor

After a couple months off for the holidays, I'm back...very sorry I missed the last couple games as the Monarch/Emperor are my favorite games.

I'm thinking either (Plan A) worker SE to road / mine and settle in place or (Plan B) worker NE to taste the water then move the Settler if it's fresh or settle. Since Plan B's usually end up sucking, I'll probably go with Plan A...research to the slingshot and then Archery (if not traded for) for JT to collect slaves. Long term plan is probably my usual, expand to the limit, then milk to 2050 AD.

4. Racinante

Racinante Dragon

Why would you want to expand and milk? For scores and ranking purposes, you would be better off expanding and completing your VC as quickly as possible, since milking will rarely, if ever, give you the score and ranking that a fast finish will. Thanks for reminding me about the worker hunting aspect of the Mayans.

5. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Especially with no resources, it is well worth it! It is even essential...

6. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

i am playing, but it already becomes obvious that another week until the deadline may be not enough to get the game finished. anyone else who feels another 1-2 weeks for this one could help their submittal probabilities?
    t_x

7. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

I have asked Alanh to extend the deadline by 10 days. No promises, but should be OK.
    I have also posted a spoiler. This completely fell off the radar for me.
    Why didn't anyone remind me? :sad:

8. templar_x

sounds great, thanks!
    t_x

9. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

Game deadline is now 18th February. Will try to make formal announcement soon.

10. templar_x

great! i am positive i will be able to make it within that extended timeframe... :)
    t_x

11. templar_x

i believe this correctly should read "That enslaved unit becomes a slave worker from that nation." Right?
    t_x

12. Everkane

Everkane Valar Morghulis

Exactly.

It should be awesome if they could become mayans workers with the industrial trait, but they don't.

13. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

Still, Slaves are a good complement to Industrious Workers both in PTW and C3C.

PTW: Odd number of Worker Turns can only be achieved with a Slave, so used this way a Slave is as powerful as a native Worker. I use couples like these to road in two turns per tile.

C3C: Some even number of Worker Turns, notably 4, can only be achieved exactly in combination with a Slave, which at least makes a Slave more useful than it is nominally