1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

News: COTM106 Mongols - Pre-game discussion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by mad-bax, Jun 12, 2014.

1. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

COTM106 Mongols - Pre-game discussion

Well, the Mongols are warlike after all - so all tribes will be quite prickly towards Ghengis in this game. My favourite story about the Mongols is to do with the Great Wall of China. China spent years and vast sums of money to construct this wonder through the deepest valleys and over the highest mountains. They sought to build an impregnable barrier against the marauding Mongols. However, when the Mongols came knocking, offering the Chinese guards a few coins and a skin full of alcohol, the guards flung the doors open and let them through. (It appears I can't spell "alcohol" in the official announcement page :blush: )

The Mongols are militaristic and expansionistic and therefore start the game with the knowledge of Warrior Code and Pottery - and a scout of course. The Mongols unique unit is the Keshik which replaces the knight, but costs a mere 60 shields to build instead of 70. However the Keshik is weaker in defence than the knight. Keshiks can also cross hills and mountains as if they were grassland, with no movement penalty, and only require connected horses to build - No iron is required.

This game continues to use a modified form of the standard Conquests scenario, and although no bugs have been reported in some time, it is possible that play testing has not been exhaustive. Any in-game event or behaviour that a player feels is unintended should be reported to the GOTM staff immediately.

Below is a picture of your start location and game parameters.

Scope of the Game:

Civilization: Mongols
    Difficulty: Regent
    Map size: 80(X) X 80(Y) - Small
    Map topology: Pangea
    Rivals: 7 pre-selected very aggressive opponents
    Barbarians: Raging
    Victory conditions: All enabled

Your save will be available from <here> from 14th June.

Enjoy!

2. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

Perhaps we should move to the south or south-west to get some shields in the capital. A small pangaea doesn't really invite to a long REX phase. Will we even need Keshiks?

3. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

small regent pangaea? definitely no keshiks needed. :)
    very unlikely i will find the time to play. but if one can find an ok founding spot for the capital, like maybe SW-S?, then this could result in an ultra-fast conquest or domination. conquest looks much more likely to me though.
    t_x

4. Kuningas

Kuningas Deity

I think there is no iron nearby.

5. templar_x

you do not need iron for horses anyway :)

6. Più Freddo

Iron is nice when defenses are 3. But we might as well assume that there are no Horses nearby.

7. templar_x

archer conquest??? :eek:

8. Più Freddo

Archer rush towards resource X?

9. bbrady413

bbrady413 Chieftain

Small pangea.....This looks like it could be a Game of the Week! :cool:

10. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Did you try "Ethanol" or "C2H5OH"? :D

People already commented that Keshiks will probably not be needed for the military victory conditions, but even if they were: "no iron" is more of a disadvantage than an advantage, because it throws a monkey wrench in the disconnect/connect stratagem... :gripe:

About the start position not much can be said. A decision can only be made after moving the scout and the worker. :dunno:

11. greatbeyond

greatbeyond King

It looks like incense, 2E1SE. It appears the AI have had their attitude rating adjusted, were it so easy in real life (sigh)
    Lots of food to start but no nearby luxes and probably no nearby horses.
    Similar aggressive AI games have had the AI being the aggressors and attacking early.

12. templar_x

i am back from my holidays and at least downloaded the game. not sure if i really will be able to finish it though. my start was quite poor in my eyes... so probably i should! given how i felt about COTM105, you guys do not have a chance any more! ;)
    t_x

13. templar_x

just asking... the first Spoiler is supposed to be open only for those who are already in the MA a n d know all civs. shouldn´t that be o r? i mean, on regent... some usually never reach the MA... :)
    t_x

14. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

@templar_x

I'm not changing it now though. I would need a moderator to change the thread title and it's too hard.

Hopefully, the geniuses amongst you who finish that early will keep their powder dry until the next spoiler, which I'll post tomorrow I think. :)

15. Più Freddo