[C3C] News: COTM127 Dalecarlia Sid - Pre-Game Discussion

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
COTM127 Gustav Eriksson (Vasa) of Dalecarlia

In the Sid game of the year, you will rule as king Gustav Eriksson (Vasa)
of Dalecarlia. In Sweden, Dalecarlia is known as the
quintessetially patriotic and archetypical Swedish historical
province. From here, peasant armies have been collected to make and
break the rule over all of Sweden. The copper mine in Falun, for a
time the main source of this metal in the world, financed Sweden's
great-power ambitions of the 17th century, and as side effects
originated the Falu sausage, a typical Swedish sausage in oxen
casings, and Falu red paint, visible on so many Swedish cottages. The
company created for running the mine is known as one of the oldest
public-equity corporations in the world.

COTM127ILLU.jpg

Dalecarlians are so patriotic, it is said, that once one of them went
into a store to buy a globe of the earth with only Dalecarlia on it --
which brings us directly to the game design. Although in the real
world this province is landlocked, the starting location in this game
is the lonely and beautiful island of Dalecarlia.

COTM127START.jpg

As you can see, I have made a few changes in order to make this game
playable by not just the most hardened and masochist Civ Fanatics. If
you look closely, you will discover Bonus Grassland under both the
Wines and the Cattle. You have also gotten a bonus Worker and a
Spearman. Workers move two tiles per turn. While Dalecarlia is based
on Scandinavia and has the Berserk as Unique Unit -- at a discount
price of 50 shields and added Zone of Control -- it has the Commercial
trait in addition to being Militaristic and Seafaring. You thus start
the game with the knowledge of Masonry, Alphabet, Pottery and Warrior
Code. The favourite government of Dalecarlia is Republic. You should
take good care of these gifts, because they are coming to get
you!

First of all, the Barbarians. The setting is actually No Barbarians.
But even so, they are there. Zombie Barbarians, most likely. In
masses. The only way to turn Barbarians off at Sid level is to set the
basic and advanced Barbarian unit both to "none". I opted not to do
so. There are, however, no Goody Huts at all.

Then there is the competition. I'm afraid the Dalecarlian in the shop
didn't quite get the world he wished for. There are six select AI
tribes out there. They are less aggressive, which will probably
suffice. Each has its own island on this archepelago map.

The normal changes to the Conquests rules apply to this game: Iron
locations are fixed, and Workers insted of Settlers can be popped from
Goody Huts. In addition to this, the following changes have been made
to terrain causing Disease in order to limit the impact of chance on
the competition:

• Flood Plains do not cause Disease
  • Jungles and Wetland have their Disease level lowered from 50% to 25%
  • Knowledge of Sanitation cancels Disease in Jungles and Wetlands

Scope of the Game

Civilization: Dalecarlia (Scandinavia)
Difficulty: Sid
Map size: Standard
Map topology: Archipelago
Rivals: Six pre-selected
Barbarians: Plenty
Required victory condition: None

Submissions are due by 4 January, 2017.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

After the game is released on November 23, the start file will
be available here.

Move NE for an early curragh? The Republic slingshot seems impossible. I will get an island to fully improved ASAP then begin to kill AIs with Berserks.

Well, I may be persuaded to try this given that description. With an Archipelago and the advantages, there's hope yet of at least survival. And I did once win on Sid in one of the Conquests scenarios, so it's not a 100% chance of defeat.

I'm thinking move NW to be able to harbor up later on and perhaps benefit from some coastal bonus resources. Looks like a friendly starting area regardless.

Let's see. If we have the island to ourselves, I would prefer not to move. Second city can be on a coast. Already have two workers, so they would recce and work. With the barbarian setting and being Sid, spearman is staying put. First build would be archer, research towards invention.

Target to get berserkers on galley and attack coastal cities, hopefully at least one civilization, without stepping from the boat. Once I am straddling 2 continents before any other civilization, Aim for a one city 20k or diplo victory.

It's necessary to add .SAV for saving. But the hole description (as Savename) ist too long, so delete something out of...

It's necessary to add .SAV for saving. But the hole description (as Savename) ist too long, so delete something out of...

I'm not quite sure what you problem is. Is the name of the leader of the Dalecarlians too long, such that you have problems when saving the game? What operating system are you using? Did anyone else have similar problems?

Is the name of the leader of the Dalecarlians too long, such that you have problems when saving the game?
Yes. Maybe just a problem with the German "Staatsoberhaupt...". But I'd played, saved and don't mind that. So I wonder where the save is and had to open it from the last turn. But if I would have played other 2 or more games autosave won#t work this way anymore I fear.

wow, hadn't seen this before. I am so giving this a try this weekend. Looks too tempting

Can we possibly get a few extra days for this Sid game? ;)

All the best for the few last hours of the old year and the many new hours of the new year to everyone!

t_x

I would second that request. After a busy Christmas with the family I haven't had chance to start this game, but would like to give it a go.

So a few days extra would be appreciated.

Scratcher

Sorry, I don't monitor these threads, so I missed the request until t_x emailed me just now. Emails or PMs work best if you need me to notice you.

When I get home I'll add a week, making the deadline January 11.

Happy New Year

I'm not quite sure what you problem is. Is the name of the leader of the Dalecarlians too long, such that you have problems when saving the game? What operating system are you using? Did anyone else have similar problems?
I played a few sessions on my German C3C installation as well and had similar problems. The problem seems to be that C3C truncates the filename at a certain length, so that the .sav at the end is missing. The file gets saved ok, but when you go into the Load Game dialogue of C3C, it is not displayed (as the game does not recognize it as a .sav file). However, if you open the directory in Windows Explorer and rename the file to something shorter and add ".sav" at the end, the game can then be loaded and continued.

But I ran into a different problem, which also seems to be related to the long auto-generated file name: I have the habit of saving all my GOTM files under a special name using the following procedure:
  • Ctrl-S to open the Save Game dialogue
  • Hold the Shift Key and then press the "Left Arrow" key to move the cursor to the beginning of the date section of the file name (this keeps the date and the .sav at the end)
  • Overwrite the rest of the auto-generated name with my desired name. This results in e.g. "cotm127_800 BC.sav"
When I do this with the current COTM127, Civ3Conquests.exe sometimes "freezes" during the second step, i.e. while trying to move the cursor in the file name field. And there is no way out except for killing the process via TaskManager. This happened already 2-3 times during this game, and I had to continue the next session from the last Autosave. Now I have reverted to just accepting the default save file name and then renaming it from Windows Explorer in order to avoid this problem. :(

I'm very sorry for you guys with a German installation. I will never again use parentheses in the name of the leader. Stupid convention anyway.

Top Bottom