1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[C3C] News: COTM136 Greece Sid - Pre-Game Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

COTM136 Alexander of the Greek

In the unique Sid game of the year, you will rule as Alexander over the Greek, who in Civilization III are a Scientific and Commercial people. You start the game with the knowledge of Alphabet and Bronze Working. Your unique unit is the Hoplite, a stronger replacement for the Spearman.

mjt.jpg

The game plays on a Continents map with a 15% land area. There are six randomly selected opponents and one chosen on purpose. This is your starting location:

gotm136_start.jpg

As always at Sid level, you'll find yourself in the position of Themistocles: pinned against quantatively superior opponents. Will you be able to outsmart them?

In order for you to survive at all, I've taken some precautions. First, I've made the Hoplite stronger. It now defends at 4 instead of 3. Second, I've provided you with six of them from the very beginning. The rest you will notice in due time. Don't despair!

The normal changes to the Conquests rules apply to this game: Iron locations are fixed, and Workers instead of Settlers can be popped from Goody Huts. In addition to this, the following changes have been made to terrain causing Disease in order to limit the impact of chance on the competition:

• Flood Plains do not cause Disease
    • Jungles and Wetland have their Disease level lowered from 50% to 25%
    • Knowledge of Sanitation cancels Disease in Jungles and Wetlands

Scope of the Game

Civilization: Greece
    Difficulty: Sid
    Map size: Normal
    Map topology: Continents
    Rivals: Seven
    Barbarians: "No Barbarians" -- meaning lots of them
    Required victory condition: None

Submissions are due by 17 January, 2018.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

On December 6, the start file will be available here.

The GOTM series of friendly competitions is a community effort.
    Please feel free to volunteer to design a game!
    Send a PM to Più Freddo.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  2. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

six hoplites from the start? :eek: i hope you also provided us with some extra funds, or else we will drown in unit support very soon. ;) they might transform into an early granary then... :shifty:
    thanks for setting this up and putting so much thought into it!
    t_x

3. Più Freddo

Funds? Are you planning to run research!?

Writing costs 480 beakers. That means that 9.6 bpt on average for the first 50 turns equals the lone researcher.

4. supersova_SU

supersova_SU Warlord

Well this is not serious.
    It's like giving Bentley and not giving money for gasoline.))) ...

5. templar_x

only if i can take an AI capital within the first 10 turns, otherwise rather not. i mean, only 15% land means there must be one really close by, right? ;)
    t_x

6. Più Freddo

I hear some T-34s without both fuel and wheels did some good service in Stalingrad...

This is Sid. You don't necessarily waste gold on research this early in the game. Unit upkeep is perhaps a better investment. If you think otherwise, then disband the troops for 30 shields.

I've played this game through and it worked out for me. It is serious.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  7. Più Freddo

Can one even survive with an AI capital close by at Sid? The six Hoplites would very soon be outnumbered. And you know what happens if they even attack you: Despotic One-City Golden Age.

8. Più Freddo

Did you notice the Furs on Plains under your feet? 2 spt in the capital.

9. templar_x

well, i did :)
    but i guess we will Need to see a bit more in order to learn what good that will do to us... and whether foundation on the spot will be desirable at all.
    t_x

10. templar_x

in my better days i even sought for starts like that... that was when i tried to beat one Ms Moonsinger for the fastest Sid Victories in certain HoF-tables. today, survival mode is more what I can accomplish on Sid. ;) i will dl the game and give it a try, but I am lacking both time and practice, I fear.
    t_x

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  11. CKS

CKS Deity

Unless we have our own continent, I predict a speedy end to the game for me. I've only won on Sid by letting them drown in unit support by trapping them on their own islands. These helpful hoplites may let me survive the first little while, but I'm afraid that I'm not as good at this game as others of us. That's okay, though, as I'll need lots of time to finish up the Celtic GOTM.

12. Più Freddo

I've tried very hard to make the game playable for most of us while not destroying the thrill of playing at Sid level. I've never finished a Sid game myself, so I might have gotten something wrong, but I did manage to play this game for a pretty long time and could see that the game should be winnable for the stubborn, not too talented player. Surviving the first little while is, I think, the key.

13. Più Freddo

Six indestructible units will let you do this.

14. templar_x

you made me excited about the dl of an XOTM game like i was not in a very long time. ;)
    t_x

15. templar_x

Piu, in the first post it says 15% land, in the game description on the XOTM page it says 20%.... which one is correct? ;)
    t_x

16. Più Freddo

I actually don't know. I created the map with 20% land, I guess. Alan told me it was 15% land.

17. greatbeyond

greatbeyond King

End of game spoiler?

18. templar_x

I am aware this is a strange question. but could we considerably extend the time frame... like an additional month? Sure, it is just me maybe, but I am away for business reasons until the end of the month. and Piu putting so much thought and time into this, I really would like to submit "his" Sid game. however, I fully understand if nobody else wants this game open for so long... so i am just asking.
    t_x

19. templar_x

Oops, I entered the spoiler thread when I believed there were new posts in this one... did not read anything though, as my wife called me that very moment.
    t_x

20. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Support this idea...