[C3C] News: COTM151 Korea Emperor - Pre-game Discussion

templar_x

usually walks his talks
In this game, you will rule over the Koreans, who are Commercial and Scientific and start the game with the knowledge of Alphabet and Bronze Working. This is an Emperor level game with no sponsored victory condition. The Korean unique unit is the hwacha, a cannon with stronger bombardment and with lethal bombardment, plus the ability to promote and even create MGLs*!

This is your starting position:

i added the logical worker move so to add to the pre-game discussion. this move is *not* made in the starting save of the actual game.

Scope of the Game

Map size: standard
Map topology: continents
Rivals: 7 pre-selected
Barbarians: raging
Required victory condition: None

Since we are living in times of a coronavirus hysteria, a fitting special feature of the game is activated!
*A tip, in case you want to use the hwacha like that: rename each unit to a different name - and add the elite info to the respective name when promoted! For this purpose it also makes sense to build hwachas from towns with barracks.

The game is released on April 1, 2020.
Submissions are due by June 30, 2020.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

Game release page The game will be released on April 1, 2020.

Attachments

• start korea.png
    start korea.png
    175 KB · Views: 962
Last edited:
We know only little of this world, but have plenty of time to discuss it...!

I see no reason to consider moving the Settler before founding Seoul. We will of course go for the The Republic slingshot. But the setup looks very attractive for a lumbering operation (after first irrigating the Wheat) in order to build a Granary and create more Grassland. So the question will be:

Shall we research Pottery before Writing?

I see no reason to consider moving the Settler before founding Seoul.

Move the worker first. If the settler moves onto the grassland, that can let another forest get used for chopping and also doesn't cramp coastal spots as much for land. The capital in place also would have the awkwardness of not being on a coast, but would have two sea squares within it's radius.

Last edited:
Move the worker first. If the settler moves onto the bonus grassland, that can let another forest get used for chopping and also doesn't cramp coastal spots as much for land. The capital in place also would have the awkwardness of not being on a coast, but would have two sea squares within it's radius.

Moving to the coast of course is essential if one wants to build The Colossus in a scientific or 20k game.

Last edited:
to add to the pre-game discussion, i exchanged the picture in the starting post!
t_x

Great! That makes it pretty obvious to found the Capital 1SE in order to take advantage of the Game tile and the coastal position.

Still no Bonus Grassland visible. We'll need at least one for a four-turn Settler Factory. Will come out from under the Forest, no doubt.

But then a cool alternative to a Settler Factory would be to bleed out a Settler and then grow the Capital to size 8, whereof 6 Forests, and build The Colossus in 16 turns. Will that make us reach Metallurgy faster or slower?

I was thinking along Spoonwood's lines to move more inland to get the option of a full ring around the capital.
However, I don't see a BG?! Isn't that plain grass?

Question: do H'Wachas built in barracks start as veteran?!

I was thinking along Spoonwood's lines to move more inland to get the option of a full ring around the capital.
However, I don't see a BG?! Isn't that plain grass?

Question: do H'Wachas built in barracks start as veteran?!

I meant grassland. I've edited it now.

For me an Emperor level game will be a challenge to win, but not so challenging that victory is unthinkable. What worries me is the inevitable slow start and those raging barbarians. For those reasons I will likely settle in place immediately. I want to get a headstart on defensive warriors and a settler. I will then build a second city downriver where I can establish a harbor and send out a curragh or galley.

Here's another thought. Many of us will be quarantined or under-employed while the Corona virus situation plays out. Could the game be released early to allow anyone twiddling his thumbs a chance to get going?

If you have nothing to do, you could play and post about an older COTM game or you could play a game for the HOF. (I still need to start GOTM177, myself.)

I suspect the 'fitting special feature' is the plague? If that is the case, and with raging barbs, I don't know if I'll go for a spaceship launch, maybe I'll try for conquest instead.

Top Bottom