1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

News: Current Game Schedule for GOTM and COTM

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by AlanH, Jun 30, 2013.

1. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Here is the current planned schedule of games. This thread will be updated if and when we change or extend the plan.

2. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Alan? Mad-bax? Holiday season or strikes the curse of GOTM again?

3. AlanH

COTM 98 and GOTM 126 are both live. You can reach them the usual way through http://gotm.civfanatics,net/, and click the game links on the left hand side.

Sorry about the missing the pre-game thread for COTM 98. I'm checking whether it was down to me or MB to put that up.

4. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

Alan is being very nice to me. I just forgot. :(

At work we would say it's "an area for development".

My sincere apologies to all.

5. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

GOTM 129 will now be Regent level and standard map-size.

6. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

May i suggest to turn GotM 128 and 131 into standard map size? The number of submissions is getting lower, and having to deal with large maps isn't likely to help reversing the trend.

OTOH, small maps could actually encourage some people to take on a challenge that would be less time-consuming.

7. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

128 is already done. But certainly I can change 131.

8. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

If you only don't forget that corrupt tenth shield...

9. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

COTM98 is Sumeria Monarch Small and COTM102 as well. I assume this is an error?

10. mad-bax

mad-bax Deity GOTM Staff

Yes it is an error. I will be making a couple of changes to the schedule anyway in response to customer feedback. I will publish a new 12 month schedule soon.

11. AlanH

I've uploaded a revised schedule in the first post.

COTM 100 will be Russia/Regent, instead of Maya/Deity
    GOTM 130 will be Carthage/Regent, instead of Carthage/Emperor
    COTM 102 will be Maya/Monarch instead of Sumeria/Monarch

[UPDATE] GOTM 131 map size has also changed from Large to Standard.

12. AlanH

I have uploaded Mad-Bax's extended game schedule in the first post, giving the game parameters and dates out to October 2014.

Note that GOTM 131 map size has gone back to Large.

13. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Shouldn't there be a pregame thread up by now?

14. AlanH

The first post is updated to show the Required VCs for scheduled PtW games.

15. AlanH

A new version of the schedule of the next 12 months is in the first post.

16. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Don't know where I should put it, but perhaps here.

While playing GOTM135, I noticed something, that looked strange to me, perhaps also bugs in the biq file:
    Building an airfield takes 144 worker turns. (After RepParts, obviously, so I guess that makes it 288 base turns?!) Shouldn't the airfield appear instantaneously, consuming the worker?
    Similar when building a Radar Tower, which took 24 turns, if I remember correctly.

(Ok, I started an ordinary PtW game, and the Civilopedia says for Outpost, Radar Tower and Airfield: "Base turns to complete: 1". If I load the GOTM135 save, the Civilopedia says 10, 48 and 288 base turns respectively. :confused:)

17. Lanzelot

In the light of mad-bax' current absence, we are trying to start the next games on a "volunteer basis", with members from the community creating a game for the others to play. What do we need for that?

• The volunteers creating the game need access to the GOTM bic and COTM biq files. (It's only a bic/biq file, right? Or are these complete mods?)
      (On that topic: while we are at it, perhaps we can fix the two bugs recently dicovered, i.e. the 100K limit for non-standard map size in COTM games and the incorrect worker turns for Outpost, Radar Tower and Airfield in GOTM games.)
    • Someone then needs to be able to create the usual download page for the final .sav file (or we can just attach it to the Pre-Game discussion thread?!)
    • Someone needs to be able to make the submission system accept submissions for that XOTM.
    • Someone needs to be able to access the submitted save files and evaluate them.
    • Someone needs to be able to enter the results into the database.

Can please someone from the staff check this list and give us their opinion as to whether these steps will be possible for a non-staff member? Or whether it would be possible that one or more persons from the staff help us with these steps?

And of course, we need volunteers... ;) I suggest that if possible only experienced GOTM veterans should contribute sav files in order to guarantee playable, well-balanced games.

Column 1 Column 2
    Game Map Creator
    GOTM 137 - Egypt Lanzelot (*)
    COTM 109 - America Piú Freddo
    GOTM 138 - Ottomans
    COTM 110 - Inca
    GOTM 139 - Persia
    COTM 111 - Korea
    GOTM 140 - Aztecs
    COTM 112 - India
    GOTM 141 - Celts
    COTM 113 - Greece
    GOTM 142 - Russia
    COTM 114 - Babylon

(*)I would volunteer for the first one. COTM108 will keep me busy for the next weeks, so I won't have time to compete in GOTM137 anyway. However, I won't be able to create a map before the weekend. If someone can do it faster, please step forward...:)

(BTW, Alan: there is a mistake in your table above: you counted GOTM 140 twice... ;))

18. AlanH

Hi

Thanks for this initiative. I had intended to start a discussion when M-B said he had a conflict with real life, but my own personal circumstances took a turn for the worse, as my wife died suddenly a week last Saturday. I have been in a whirlwind of emotions, communications with friends and family, and arrangements for her funeral since then.

Your suggestions look great, but I need to give them more thought than I can at the moment to do them justice. If you can bear with me until early next week, I'll try to join this discussion then and we can all help to work out a way forward.

19. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

my commiserations on your loss, Alan, that is so hard. :(
    t_x

20. Lanzelot

Let me offer my condolences, too. Words always fall short in a tragic event like this, but I'll keep you in my thoughts. :(