News from Sid himself?

skyclad

Prince
I remember when 5 was released and announced and that Sid himself gave some interviews and seemed to have had some inpact in the game design. Anyone heard from him this time around? :)

I think he's too embarrassed and wants to associate as little as possible with what this franchise is becoming.

Not as much, no. I did see one article that mentioned he designs prototype games on a one-of-a-kind engine of his own design. I'm not sure what it has to do with Civ VI. Ed Beach and Dennis Shirk are definitely leading the charge this time, possibly because they are quite popular with fans.

I think he's too embarrassed and wants to associate as little as possible with what this franchise is becoming.

Spreading such nonsense is embarrasing.

Sid has for a long time now, moved away from designing civ games. He prefers to design his own prototypes. But he has mentioned that he will play the games and give his feedback from time to time. But, I get the sense that Sid is perfectly comfortable with trusting Ed and Dennis with the development of the game. They have certainly proven themselves that they don't need anyone telling them what to do.

Thanks for the answers!
I remember one thing he talked about around the launch of 5 which was that he wanted the AI to roleplay, and that the modifiers for AI attitude should be hidden from the player for immersion... Now this turned out to be one of the biggest complaints from players and was changed in the expansion.
Still a shame to hear he is not involved at all! I would expect him to be, after all he started all this mess :king: ;)

Thanks for the answers!
I remember one thing he talked about around the launch of 5 which was that he wanted the AI to roleplay, and that the modifiers for AI attitude should be hidden from the player for immersion... Now this turned out to be one of the biggest complaints from players and was changed in the expansion.
Still a shame to hear he is not involved at all! I would expect him to be, after all he started all this mess :king: ;)

I'm sure he's involved. Just not in an official capacity. Think about it, if you were the lead designer and you had Sid down the hall from you, would you not spend plenty of time there getting his thoughts on things you are doing/contemplating?

Spreading such nonsense is embarrasing.

Yes, that's the real embarrassment here.

I think all involved in the making would be thrilled if it sees the same success as 5.
Moderator Action: Please report posts you think are troll posts. Do not take matters into your own hands as that is considered trolling as well. Please cease the personal stuff and let's get back on topic.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Sid is a Creative Director. He has not developed a civ game since civ II, soo....

For the 25th anniversary of Civ, he went on a trip down memory lane with some of the game's great designers during D.I.C.E. Summit 2016, maybe three months ago.

You can watch him here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h65FXaJHbhE

Would be sad if that were the case, since Civ has developed into a series that is more successful than ever (leaving Beyond Earth out of the Equation :D). But thankfully that doesn't at all sound like the Sid we know. If he really dislikes the way the game has developed, then he's probably still proud about the success of the series that he has started.

With that said though (@topic), it seems that he has taken a backseat when it comes to public appearances in general. He's more the "Behind the Scenes"-guy. And the mascot, if that doesn't sound too condescending. :mischief:

Sid is a Creative Director. He has not developed a civ game since civ II, soo....
He has: Civ Revolution and Civ World (or whatever they ended up calling it). Neither was very good, in my opinion.

I believe he also designed Starships, which I also think wasn't very good.

Did anyone play here play Ace Patrol? Was it any good?

To be fair, those were never triple A games but rather simple mobile games. I thought they were good as mobile games go.

seemed to have had some inpact in the game design.

He still has impact on Civ 6 but only as a Creative Director. That's it.

"The Creative Director is the key person during the game development process, overseeing any high-level decisions that affect how the game plays, looks or sounds."

He has: Civ Revolution and Civ World (or whatever they ended up calling it). Neither was very good, in my opinion.

Did Civ World ever come out? I remember reading about it before release, then never saw anything else about its release. It must have been discontinued pretty early on.

I enjoyed Starships as a mobile game as well as Ace Patrol.

I know Jake Solomon indicated he bounced many things off Sid during the XCom design.

They should call the new civ Sid Meier's Ed Beach's Civilization 6.

In early 2000s some games had the designer's name on the title, American McGee's Alice and John Romero's Daikatana come to mind.

Top Bottom