News: GotM 08 Announcement

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Civilization VI - Game of the Month 6
Welcome to the 8th game in the 6OTM Series! These games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out the new features in Civ6 in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. We will be working to refine the 6otM concept as we move ahead with the series.
Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif, or Myself know (via Conversation (Private Message)) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed. Gifting of cities is an exploit in a religious VC the AI cant see that it will lose if it accepts the cities. .
Civ VI - 6otM 6 Details:
Player (You): Montezumu of the Aztec
Victory Condition: Domination but all other VCs are enabled.
Difficulty: Emperor
Civs/City-States (including player): 8/?
Map Type/Size: Island plates /Standard Size

This is where you will start .
gotm7.jpg

Aztec Unique Attributes:
Spoiler :
Montezuma's Specil Ability: Gifts for the Tlatoani Luxury resources in his territory provide an Amenity to 2 extra cities. Military units receive +1 Combat Strength for each different Luxury resource improved in Aztec lands. Unique Ability: Legend of the five suns: Spend Builder charges to complete 20% of the original district cost.
Unique Unit: Eagle Warrior : This powerful version of the basic Warrior Unit can turn defeated enemies into Builder units.
Unique Building: Tlachtli: A replacement of the Arena, This Unique Building in the Entertainment Complex gives Amenities, Faith, and Great General Points.

Information about threads associated with each individual 6otM -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.
Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Once you have opened the save, DO NOT POST in the Announcement thread, even non game-related information. Instead use the next thread.
Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.
After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date and final score (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.
Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
In development.

This game runs for a month and ends March 1, 2017.

The Eagle Warrior was moved to the hill this turn from the Tea tile. Sorry

Attachments

• MONTEZUMA 1 4000 BC GOTM7.1.Civ6Save
    360.9 KB · Views: 912
Last edited by a moderator:
Great! I haven't played as Aztec yet and it looks like some nice abilities and traits! Move the warrior NW, but doubt I see any reason no to SIP. Though, on island plates it might be tempting to settle coastal between cow&horse. Hmmm...

Does the fact that no info is given about sea level mean I can consider it a default value(medium?)

I see only part of the initial post. Something is wrong with the code.
If you click on the exposed sliver of map in the post, the whole box opens with the full info. Kinda glitchy, but nothing serious.

Hi,

I have just tried the last one, really struggled with my first and only go. Had china and Sumeria declare war on me early which set me way back.

I'll give this one a bash now

Venetian Arsenal, submarines and ironclads. Oh my.

Settle in place?

I'm gonna give game of the month a try, I think... Looks like a great starting position. Sucks though that there's a luxery resource on the perfect campus spot. But who knows, maybe there's a second one closeby.

I had a feeling it would be Aztecs. They seem really powerful so far, but I have been pretty terrible on Island maps so this should be interesting.

When will the Opening Actions thread be created?

I'm trying to get a feel for Civ6 and I may give this a try. Chop the tea for a campus (I don't plan on many large cities so the amenity shouldn't be that important: IZ surrounded with mines to the north + Harbor early for boats to support embarked units. Warrior explores north along river for second city (probably coastal for sailing eureka). I'll try to push the capital to 10pop for 4 districts (prolly need to remove cattle for 3 adjacent farms) and ICS trade routes. Theocracy rotated in with merchant republic for additional unit purchase if I can capture some holy sites early. Then send attack groups on a long push through the AI and try to buy reinforcements/upgrades in captured cities. Most cities off main island will focus on gold and faith.

Ironically, this place would be quite good for a Science Victory. Lots of mineable hills around and mountains for Campi. If only it wasn't Island Plates (meaning early little conquests on land).

I'd move the Settler to the woods before settling, though. It's a shame to lose a hill and not gain any additional yield to compensate for that. Also, the Ivory there gets in the second ring, meaning cultural borders might be enough to put that tile under my control without gold. The leftmost hills (just NW of the mountain range) also become available to settle.

EDIT: Also, a shame that you probably won't be able to use Eagle Warriors there. The ability to capture Builders is what makes them Tier A (pretty much like Sumeria)

I think I have a plan: settle in place; leave some corners of the island in the shade and hope for an encampment to spawn; let barbarians find my city and launch an attack wave; kill them all with eagle warriors and use the builders to rush a campus (bye bye tea) and a holy site; then clear the encampment and settle there to build boats and explore the seas.

Going to try to start 6OTM again. Thinking SIP since I can use gold to expand to the sea one square. Wondering if I should skip the scout and just explore with another EW due to the island plates and EW abilities. Maybe EW, builder, slinger x3 then see how big the island plate is (having not done this type of map spawned a few games to see what happens - in one test game I had a 20 square island without anything else on it but barbarians; in another had 2 other full civs with me). I see above discussion about campus on the tea, but think I'll keep the tea and put campus 2S - still get 3 instead of 4 science total (assuming worker on tea) and get the tea bonus. Ideally expand by capturing closest civ's - or just keep war/peace/war/peace for the free builders. Try to find other civs soon to capture with frigate and crossbow bombardments. Not sure if I want to go religion for the ability to buy forces with faith or skip it altogether.

I am going to run some test games how the Island paltes looks like. There might not be much land around, especially to the north.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom