GOTM 108: Cyrus of Persia. Its time to start the cycle again in the low difficulties, all the way back to Warlords level. Cyrus the great shouldn't face too many difficulties, its all a matter of speed. Are there horses? Will the AI even have archers so you can get the benefit of Immortals? One thing that might complicate things is the option 'No City Razing' Game settings: Playing as: Cyrus of Persia Rivals: 6 AIs Difficulty: Warlord Starting Era: Ancient Speed: Normal Options: No city razing Victory Conditions: All enabled Map settings: Map: Fractal (modified) World Wrap: Cylindrical Mapsize: Standard Climate: Temperate Sea level: Medium Cyrus is Expansive and Creative, and you start with The Wheel, Agriculture and Hunting. The Expansive trait gives +3 health/city and double production speed of Granary and Harbor The Creative trait gives +2 culture/city each turn and double production speed of Colosseum and Theatre Unique unit: Immortal (replaces Chariot) The Immortal benefits from: gets defensive bonuses, can withdraw from combat (30% chance), and 50% combat bonus against archer units. This compares with the Chariot which has: does not get defensive bonuses, and can withdraw from combat (20% chance). Starting screenshot This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image): Adventurer Class bonuses: Adventurer players get a Gems on the hill SE of the settler, high commerce starts are always nice! Challenger Class Equalizers: You lose the scout, which should affect settling your 2nd and maybe 3rd cities. To Enter the Competition: This competition will open at 00:01 am on 1 Nov 2014, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<. Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 1 Dec 2014. Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS. Software Versions Windows: This game MUST be played in Civ4 Vanilla (NOT Beyond the Sword or Warlords), patched to version 1.74, and with the HOF mod version 1.74.004 installed. You can download the HOF mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here. If you have not installed BtS, you will need to update the relevant DLL files in order to match the Locked Assets checks. These are available here.** Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Civ4 Vanilla (NOT Beyond the Sword or Warlords), patched to version 1.74, and with the Mac HOF mod version 1.74.002 installed. You can download the Mac HOF mod here. While playing... Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying. We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.