1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[Vanilla] News: GOTM 128, Emperor Julius Caesar, starts January 17

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

GOTM 128: Caesar of Rome.

Two EXes. Julius Caesar of Rome. This month you play as one of the more popular leaders. And once again, all the AI civs have something in common.

The Civ Map gods were discussing gotm128:
    "I know, let's use Maze, that hasn't been used for a while."
    "That's a stupid map, here's what I think of it" - and drew a big X (of desert tiles) thru the map.
    "You didn't do that right, this is better" - and drew another X thru the map, but with grass tiles.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Caesar of Rome
    Rivals: 5 AIs
    Difficulty: Emperor
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: No city razing, raging barbarians, no huts
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Modified Maze
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Worldsize_standard
    Climate: Climate_temperate
    Sea level: Sealevel_medium

Caesar is Expansive and Organized, and you start with Fishing and Mining.
    The Expansive trait gives +3 health/city and double production speed of Granary and Harbor

The Organized trait gives -50% civic upkeep and double production speed of Courthouse and Lighthouse

Unique unit: Praetorian (replaces Swordsman)
    The Praetorian benefits from: base strength = 8, 0% city attack bonus, and 45 hammers to build (on normal speed). This compares with the Swordsman which has: base strength = 6, 10% city attack bonus, and 40 hammers to build (on normal speed).

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 17 Jan 2017, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 19 Mar 2017.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Civ4 Vanilla (NOT Beyond the Sword or Warlords), patched to version 1.74, and with the HOF mod version 1.74.004 installed. You can download the HOF mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

If you have not installed BtS, you will need to update the relevant DLL files in order to match the Locked Assets checks. These are available here.**

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Civ4 Vanilla (NOT Beyond the Sword or Warlords), patched to version 1.74, and with the Mac HOF mod version 1.74.002 installed. You can download the Mac HOF mod here.
    While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

2. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

I'd guess this is another Gotm with all female opposition. Hatty is an obvious ex and surprisingly there are exactly 5 female leaders in Vanilla. Some might argue that with all the raging barbs the raging women are unnecessary but mapmakers are :evil: by default. Maybe the raging barbs actually slow the women down a bit?
    No razing means that every stupid barb city in the middle of a desert or ice is eternal? Mapmakers are :evil:.
    Unless the scouting warrior sees something worthwhile while gazing east on the pig hill, I'll probably SIP.
    Since mapmakers are :evil: we probably need to hunt for the iron or be destroyed by the raging barbs.

3. Deckhand

No. The EXes just refers to the Xs that were drawn on the map. Dos Equis.
    Spoiler :
    Although there are two women with him. The most interesting man in the world - keeps good relations with his exes.

My only map edits were the equis.
    I think there was iron near by. But I made the map over two weeks ago, don't recall, too lazy to look it up, and wouldn't tell you anyway. :evil:

4. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

I'm guessing you mis-clicked and turned it to coal.

But it might be worth a beeline to IW in any case. On second thought, check the surroundings first, it could be a long hike on what was a Maze map, so perhaps BW, sailing if justified, and then IW if early conquest is still attractive.

5. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

It's odd to see the Warrior on the same square as the Settler. While the starting location is acceptable, and Grassland Incense is nice, making it similar to Dyes, moving the Settler could be in order here, since Calendar for Incense is a while off.

That said, building The Great Lighthouse would be very feasible by settling in place--Organized for the cheaper Lighthouse, Fishing for the shorter research path to Sailing, and a map that sounds like it will have many Coastal settling locations.

Did the Desert get drawn over top of by the Grassland or are they both there, side-by-side?

I much prefer early Copper to Iron when playing as Rome, to give a reason to delay Iron Working until it can come in trade from an AI.

6. Deckhand

Agree, I thought it odd as well. "I didn't do it. Not my fault".

There is a desert X and a grassland X. Roughly, one in each hemisphere. Jules has the advantage of the grassland X. Thus the grassland incense. The tile W of settler was water.
    You could discover all this by exploring. But what's the fun in that? ;)(for me)