1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[Vanilla] News: GOTM 129, Kublai Khan, starts March 31

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by Deckhand, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Deckhand

Deckhand Not so nice GOTM Staff

GOTM 129: Khan of Mongolia.

Kublai Khan ruled the largest empire in history. Surely you can do better. But beware, the other civs are wise to your war mongering and will never make peace with you.
    It's been eleven years since Kublai starred in a GOTM. And 8 years since we had a Great Plains for GOTM.

Game settings:
    Playing as: Khan of Mongolia
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Noble
    Starting Era:
    Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: Always war
    Victory Conditions:
    All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Great Plains
    World Wrap: None
    Mapsize: Worldsize_standard
    Climate: Climate_temperate
    Sea level: Sealevel_medium

Khan is Aggressive and Creative, and you start with The Wheel and Hunting.
    The Aggressive trait gives free Combat I promotion for melee and gunpowder units and double production speed of Barracks and Drydock

The Creative trait gives +2 culture/city each turn and double production speed of Colosseum and Theatre

Unique unit: Keshik (replaces Horse Archer)
    The Keshik benefits from: not immune to first strikes, 1 first strike, and ignores terrain movement cost. This compares with the Horse Archer which has: immune to first strikes, 0 first strikes, and does not ignore terrain movement cost.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 31 Mar 2017, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 2 Jun 2017.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Civ4 Vanilla (NOT Beyond the Sword or Warlords), patched to version 1.74, and with the HOF mod version 1.74.004 installed. You can download the HOF mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

If you have not installed BtS, you will need to update the relevant DLL files in order to match the Locked Assets checks. These are available here.**

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Civ4 Vanilla (NOT Beyond the Sword or Warlords), patched to version 1.74, and with the Mac HOF mod version 1.74.002 installed. You can download the Mac HOF mod here.
    While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

2. Cactus Pete

Cactus Pete Chieftain GOTM Staff

Appreciate the new game, Deckhand.

Are there limitations on what can be obtained from huts?

3. Deckhand

There is a thread somewhere that lists what you can get. Astronomy is the highest. Won't help here, but a strategy on Terra maps is to send scouts/explorers on caravels to new world to pop astronomy.

4. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

Always war. :evil: mapmakers.
    A question I can't remember the answer for (I'm :old:) : Is there any chance of the AI fighting each other? Obviously they will love each other because they hate us but this is a different option from the permanent war/peace so they can attack each other too, right?

I'd guess we're somewhere in the middle-east of the map with the gulf to the south and enemies to the west and north. Are those huts on forested tiles or not? (I guess forests everywhere.) Is there a reason for not showing tile production because that would enable us to determine forestation and that tells us if the scout uses 1 or 2 movement points going there?
    I won't decide where to settle before moving the scout somewhere.

Any huts will be quickly popped so any techs will be early ones. I'd expect a lot of worthless maps with maybe a warrior or a scout at best and maybe some techs if I were lucky, some gold since I'm not. Can you even get a worker from the huts at this difficulty? Hut-popped settlers were disabled and changed to workers but you only get those on the easier difficulties.

5. Deckhand

I've never made an always war game before. We evil map makers don't do that often. I was thinking you players are all so skilled it shouldn't be a problem. And that's how a lot of us play anyway (but the AIs don't know it). I hope it's winnable at noble. Since it is vanilla, I think you can still get Diplomation victory.
    Yes AIs can go to war with each other. As you say, more likely before they've all met you. :evil:

Sorry, forgot to turn on tile production. I usually make a point to do that. You noticed the huts in the fog. When you get the game open you can check for forests.
    Not sure, but I think workers are only at Warlords and Settler level. Don't recall about barbarians.

6. Cactus Pete

Are there any limitations on the resources available on a Plains map? (Search function seems to no longer link to or facilitate learning about CIV4 maps.)

7. Deckhand

Yes.
    There are some health and happiness resources that don't normally appear.
    I added some but not all of these to the map where you should be able to reach them before the other civs.

DynamicSpirit's incredibly awesome tool which helps us map makers in game preparation lists any resources not on the map (after game is built). You will need to [not] discover them for yourselves. Maybe I will list in final spoiler. Guess I should make the spoilers soon.

8. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

West side is more plains and desert. Horses usually only in West and maybe middle, but metals all over. Gold and Silver in the west. Gems possible in Middle hill areas. There is usually some jungle in the far SE. Body of water in the lower SE quandrant. Pigs/Fur/Deer usually prominent in the East/Middle. Corn in East and Far SW. Wheat pretty much all over. Cows usually very common in the Western plains area. Sheep in Far west and maybe some dyes. FPs in far SW.

This is vanilla, so things may be a little different. Vanilla resource distribution always seems bad compared to BTS. It appears that we are Eastern side of map toward the middle..no sign of map edge or sea, and there is usually a lot of pigs/deer/fur near the Eastern edge, but all we see here is one dry wheat...ugh

9. Cactus Pete

You added resources that would not be in the game at all, or you added normally extant but isolated resources "to the map where you should be able to reach them before the other civs"?

10. Deckhand

I added some of the health and happiness resources that don't normally appear.
    All of my map edits were closer to KK than to the other civs.

yup

First map I generated had you in west (which was my preference). I regenerated many times and every time player was in NE quarter. Keshiks should be useful in either east or west; ignoring terrain costs doesn't help much in the plains. At least in vanilla, there is no penalty to city attacks. You will probably be busy defending anyway. :mischief:

11. Cactus Pete

Can't conquer the world defending.