[PTW] News: GOTM 155 Russia Regent - Results and Congratulations

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Here are the results of the December PtW game as Russia.

As we would expect from our elite band of veteran players at Regent level, all ten submissions were successful victories, achieving the sponsored Conquest condition. Well done everyone. :thumbsup:

Summary of Medal Winners:

tR1cKy: 860 AD Conquest Victory, 10,154 points.

Lanzelot: 740 AD Conquest Victory, 9,986 points.

supersova_SU: 870 AD Conquest Victory, 9,581 points.

Other Award Winners:

denyd: 1545 AD Conquest Victory, 7,367 points.

greatbeyond: 1475 AD Conquest Victory, 7,293 points.

>> See the full results here.
>> See the QSC results here.
>> See the updated global rankings here.
>> See the latest Pantheon of Heroes here.
>> You can see and compare graphic replays of all the submissions here.
>> Award symbols are listed here.

I suspect you forgot to actually publish the results :p

TBH, after the French disaster, i didn't think i would pull a gold out of this.

Congratulations on your win tR1cKy, but I thought the winner of the conquest challange, like the HoF, would be the quickest finish date.

Scratcher

Medals are given on score. Fastest finish awards are given to best dates. It was always so.

AlanH, firstly I enjoy playing the GOTM, have done for years, and I hope it continues for many more years to come. But if a game is limited to a certain victory condition, then, in my opinion, the winner should be the player that performed that victory the best. If not the winning strategy for every game would be rapid expansion, milk until 2049 and then knock off the required victory. That really defeats the point of a selected victory condition. Just because something has always been that way, doesnt mean it is still the right way of doing things.

I'm not asking you change anything for this game, but maybe it is something for you to consider for future games with a selected victory condition.

Scratcher.

If not the winning strategy for every game would be rapid expansion, milk until 2049 and then knock off the required victory. That really defeats the point of a selected victory condition.

That would be right if the in-game score was used. But it's not the case. The Jason scoring system fix that issue. That means, unless you're exceptionally good at milking, this strategy not only wouldn't work, but it would actually be detrimental to your final score. If you're not convinced, try a pair of test games with past GotMs and compare the Jason results.

In order to maximize your Jason score, you need to strive for a fast finish and, at the same time, expand as fast as you can up to the domination limit and, at the same time, maximize the amount of happy population in your empire. It's not easy, but it isn't supposed to be. You need to devote a part of your resources into settlers, some cultural buildings, markets and other improvements. Plus, you need enough workers to properly improve your territory. Then, you need to allocate part of your budget to luxury spending. Your overall strategy is also affected, because you need to gain fast access to all the luxury bonuses.

All this requires planning. You need to find the optimal balance between reaching your goal and optimize your empire. That's what i always try to do, and this is the main reason why i got so many golds but so few awards. But i'm nothing special, everyone can do the same.

There are medals and fastest win awards. The fact that medals are listed first is historical. Many players feel that the speed awards are more significant, regardless of whether a VC is sponsored or not. I could list them first if all players want that, but there's only one fastest award for each VC.

We only offer sponsored VCs in this one competition, and then not for every game. This was decided by the players. I'm just the bookkeeper.

Top Bottom