1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[PTW] News: GOTM 156 France, Emperor, 20K. Pre-game Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Lanzelot, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

In game number 156 of the classic game of the month series you will rule as Jean d'Arc over the French Empire, who are Commercial and Industrious and start the game with the knowledge of Masonry and Alphabet.

This is an Emperor-level game, and this month we sponsor the 20K victory condition. The French unique unit is the Musketeer, a high defense replacement for the Musketman.

Starting Location:

Game Details

Civilization: France
    Difficulty Level: Emperor
    Map Topology: Continents
    Map Size: Large
    Sponsored Victory Condition: 20K
    Game Submission Deadline: 8 March 2017

Start file to be published 25 January 2017.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. Scratcher

Scratcher Emperor

The 20k victory is not one of my strongest victory methods, and a victory method I have yet to excell at. So which is the better strategy? Use the capital for the 20k city? Or the first city pumped out?

The advantages to using the capital is the early start on culture (but no CB and early temple in this game),no shileld loss to corruption, the disadvantages are slow build of the core towns, can't build the forbidden palace, can't use the palace as a pre-build.

The start location is on a river so no need to build an aquaduct, and with the food bonus tiles the desert, hills and mountain could all be worked, for approx 20 shields per turn in Republic or Monarchy.

I'm still undecided how I will proceed on this one. I may need to quickly scout the immediate area before making a decision.

Scratcher

3. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

Interesting setup. We'll have to bleed out a Settler, then start The Pyramids and hope to switch it to The Colossus, which is Commercial. With its help, try to get to Republic before an Industrious Wonder triggers the Golden Age. Perhaps another Worker makes sense, as well? Will Disease strike us? How's the hinterland?

4. Lanzelot

I think it depends on whether a good productive site for the second town is available and can be brought up to size quickly. Also the higher the difficulty level, the more likely it may be that you actually depend on the Palace as pre-build. If you can keep research high enough, you'll always have something to build, so no need for a pre-build. So on Warlord I would definitely use my capital, on Sid I would use the second town. (Provided production capacity is about the same in both.) Emperor is already a difficulty level, where the decision is not a no-brainer...

Also, what I did sometimes in 20K games where I had chosen my capital as 20K city: try to get the Military Academy quickly. Then you can always use a 400s Army as pre-build for a few turns until the next wonder becomes available.

5. bbrady413

bbrady413 Chieftain

20K! I've never tried to go for this victory condition. I'm looking forward to the challenge!

6. Lanzelot

I don't have access to my mail for now. So I'm attaching the start save here for the moment.
    Note: I played a test game till 330 AD and didn't get any flood plain disease anymore, so I hope the setting with "Masonry cancels flood plain disease" works!

Good luck everyone!

Moderator Action: I've moved the start file over to the usual place on the GOTM server:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2017
  7. milr

milr Warlord

Got flood disease at population 6 and quit. Tried a couple times more with some changed settlement location. Got disease once, no disease once (over good period of play).
    I'll probably play a little further on the disease free start while awaiting a new COTM, but am out of the competition on this one. Not sure I would stand a chance to score a 20K Vic anyway at this play level and with some pretty stiff AI competition somewhere in the fog.

8. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

i just tried a few turns of this game, and there was flood plain disease happening in my game ;(
    t_x

9. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

Some time ago i read on the Apolython forums that a guy made some tests and found out that the disease mechanism is, indeed, broken. The "cancel disease" flag just doesn't work, but the disease from FPs just goes away by itself as soon as the player gets out of the Ancient Ages.

10. Scratcher

Scratcher Emperor

I played up to 2070bc and got flood plain disease twice, losing 4 pop. I stopped playing after thiis. I'll wait for the next game.

Scratcher

11. aobaki

aobaki Chieftain

It's the hardest GOTM I've ever played. I have achieved 20K at 1836AD.

12. aobaki

aobaki Chieftain

It's the hardest GOTM I've ever played. I have achieved 20K culture at 1836AD.

13. painterQ

painterQ Chieftain

Hi, I cant find the place you download this game(map download)? Been seaching and seaching for 30 minuts. Maybee IVe become old and ******** sins my last visit. ;p Ok, now I see a link by lanzelot in this post. Seems This is the .com site, and the game download is on .net place? eh...

14. painterQ

painterQ Chieftain

On my new computer, I only hve civ3 via steam. Is it possible to play these created maps/games via civ3 steam, and how? Or do I have to dust off my old computer. cheers.

15. Lanzelot

The Steam "Complete" edition is in fact incomplete... :( It is missing the PtW executable, so you can't play GOTMs (PtW), only COTMs (C3C). However, various people managed to get a no-disc PtW executable from somewhere, copied it to the correct location in their Steam installation and maneged to get PtW to run. Search the "Technical Support" forum for "Steam" and you should be able to find help there.

As this question pops up frequently, perhaps we should create another sticky thread here in the GOTM forum which describes a possible solution?! (I'll send tjs282 a PM, as I know that he managed to get his Steam version to run Vanilla/PtW in addition to C3C...)