1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[PTW] News: GOTM 175 Germany, Emperor - Pregame discussion

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by AlanH, Jul 5, 2019.

1. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

In game number 175 of the classic game of the month series, you will rule as Bismark over the Germans, who are Scientific and Militaristic and start the game with the knowledge of Bronze Working and Warrior Code.

This is an Emperor level game, brought to you by Più Freddo. The German unique unit is the Panzer Tank, a faster Tank.

Your scout has already wandered off to expand your knowledge of the starting location.

Click the start image for a larger version.

Scope of the Game

Map size: standard
    Map topology: Continents
    Rivals: 7 pre-selected
    Barbarians: unknown
    Required victory condition: none

The game is released on July 5, 2019.
    Submissions are due by September 30, 2019.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

Game release page

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  2. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

a very interesting 4-turner is possible, but it requires loads of worker turns.
    t_x

Più Freddo likes this.
  3. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

This time I added an initial Scout to reveal the starting position environs for the discussion. You may speculate how this does not give you much lasting advantage.

4. templar_x

small own continent, or chokepoint with AI capital on it in the vicinity, no huts... ;) and if there are huts, even though we are given a scout, Germany is not EXP and thus he will face barbs soon...
    t_x

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  5. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Wow, that's where I live...! :goodjob:
    I have been to that castle (it's more of a palace, though. No idea, why all the foreigners and even the English Wikipedia call it "Heidelberg Castle"...), walked over that bridge and even have taken a boat trip up the Neckar on that boat that can be seen in the picture. (Looks like it's the one that is powered by solar.)
    Also seen in the picture is the beginning of the cable car originally opened in 1890. Some of the cars in use today are still the ones from 1907. You can see it in the forest to the left of the church tower, and it goes all the way up the mountain to where the two red-white radio poles can be seen.

In order to dedicate this GOTM to that beautiful city, may I ask everyone to found his/her in-game Heidelberg with its correct name instead of the faulty Firaxis version "Heidelburg"...? (And extra points for anyone who manages to also correct such mistakes as "Konigsberg", "Munich" or "Nuremberg"...)

6. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Only desert next to a river is floodplain, not the ones next to a lake, right? So are these two or three floodplains?

7. templar_x

Piu hacked Lanze´s photo server. ;)
    only riverside desert tiles. thus, only 2.
    t_x

8. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Chieftain Supporter

I am thinking of moving my settler due north to found Heidelberg on the desert next to the fish and near the game and floodplains. In that way I can make a fertile city quickly and produce settlers.
    Perhaps my second city will be two tiles to the SE of the starting location. I would typically prefer a coastal location or a riverside location, but I will probably try for a 20k victory so that would position me near the hills.
    Does this seem reasonable?

9. templar_x

i fail to see any game...
    t_x

10. AlanH

Do you mean "game" as a bonus resource? Or are you having trouble finding the start file for the game?

11. templar_x

i meant the ressource. ;) it was meant as a reply to Captain Jack´s "on the desert next to the fish and near the game and floodplains".
    t_x

12. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Chieftain Supporter

Yes, I mistook fur for game. I need better glasses.

13. Più Freddo

Actually, Alan H added the photo, I think from a previous upload by Mr. Lanze himself. I had this in mind:
    gotm175_illu.jpg

templar_x likes this.
  14. AlanH

I needed an image, and I typically duplicate a previous one for the same civ if there isn't one provided. But I can change it!

15. Più Freddo

No, no. It's fine!