1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

News: GOTM 74 - Starts 1 January

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by neilmeister, Dec 25, 2011.

1. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

GOTM 74: Huayna Capac

It's Christmas, so what could be a better present than Inca's? OK, maybe Romans, but I gave you them last time, or Egyptians..... doesn't matter! You are playing Huayna Capac against 6 nasty Noble AI, on a Pangaea map. Good luck!

Game settings:

Civilization: Inca (Leader: Huayna Capac; Traits: Aggressive and Financial)
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Noble
    Map: Pangaea
    Mapsize: Standard
    Climate: Temperate
    Sea Level: Normal
    Starting Era: Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: Raging Barbarians. Most Goody Huts have been removed.
    Victory Conditions: all enabled

Huayna Capac:

Huayna Capac is Aggressive and Financial ; starting with Agriculture and Mysticism. As you are Aggressive you get Free Combat I promotion for melee and gunpowder units. Double production speed of Barracks and Drydock. Being Financial, you get +1 commerce on plots with at least 2 commerce.

Unique unit: Quechua(replaces Warrior)

Compared to the Warrior this unit has 100% against Archery units, in addition to 25% City Defence, and is generally awesome.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:
    1. Clan: You start the game with an additional Settler.

Challenger Class Equalisers:
    1. FIGJAM: You are so good, you don't need the Gold and the Rice.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open on 1 January 2012. From that date, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.
    Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 1 February 2012.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Civilization 4 (NOT Warlords or BTS), patched to version 1.74, and with the HOF mod version 1.74.004 installed. You can download the HOF mod here. Players using Windows Vista are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Civilization 4 (NOT Warlords), patched to version 1.74, and with the Mac HOF mod version 1.74.002 installed. You can download the HOF mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of the game outside those threads while it is in progress.

Please write here or send me a Private Message for any technical queries, eg. if you have trouble opening the game. Do NOT post in this thread once you have successfully opened the starting save.

2. cas

cas Chieftain

I'm going to build the GWall and try a espionage economy! Oh, wait. Vanilla flavor. :rolleyes:

Not thrilled with SIP. non-wet (edit) rice is blah. Plains hill S-SE of the settler is looking better. Quechua SW to see if there's more food if we SIP. If no additional food, settler S-SE. Then decide from there.

mining-wheel-pottery I think.

Might try a one city diplo for fun on nooble since the game obviously has warmonger AI.

cas

3. Xcalibrator

Xcalibrator Ultraviolet Catastrophe

Yeah, the rice is not that big an attraction, especially with extra food from all those floodplains. I'd be tempted to move the quechua NE to the hill--reveals 9 more tiles vs only 3 if he moves to the SW forest (though more if there are hills on the horizon). The plains hill S-SE of the settler does look inviting, but since it's only Noble we have time to wander a bit. I expect the professional rushers to pull off some amazing dates here--BCs? :eek: Would you bother with (1/2 price) barracks or just spam Qs from the start? Raging barbs will spice things up a little, but what makes the AI "nasty"? There's no mention of an Aggressive AI setting--maybe the leaders are handpicked to be pesky?

4. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

So we're competing with the barbs for AI workers, huh? Sounds like fun...

5. SamSniped

SamSniped C O M R A D E W A V E

I personally think the start isn't all that bad. Gold is OK in the BFC (Unfortunately on a plains hill but there's enough food coming from the floodplains to make up for it). The only problem with SIP is the health, which means I'm going for a worker while researching pottery. Then probably mining-->BW-->AH to find strategic resources, all the while looking for coastline to get an opening to the sea. This one is definitely worth running Representation on, along with building lots of cottages on those floodplains.
    I hate the fact that we get an early UU, though. I personally don't declare war before IW in most cases (unless you find that one undefended capital while exploring :mwaha: ).

Of course, my opinions might mean nothing because I still play warlord difficulty, but whatever :D

6. Ronnie1

Ronnie1 Chieftain

Been a long time since we played as Inca. IIRC, the last time we were miles from our nearest neighbor and rushing was nearly impossible.

Settling is definitely undecided. The rice is marginal for sure, the riverside PH to the south would be great if there is food down there. As already stated, the difficulty allows for a bit of wandering, but normal speed tempers that ability a bit. :hmm:

7. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

At this level inca UU is just another agressive warrior since they do not have archers.

But if you wait enough to let them get archery then it will become a quachua rush......assuming they do not have horses or copper.

I guess I am going to settle on the PH as long as quachua do not see anything worthy after climbing on the NE PH.

8. neilmeister

I was wondering if anyone was going to point this out.

9. Murky

Murky Chieftain

I might take a crack at this just for fun. So would it be a good idea to move the Quechua 1 NE?

Settler to PH unless something interesting is revealed.

10. SamSniped

SamSniped C O M R A D E W A V E

@murky- I would start withthe Quechua 1 NE, and on Adventurer class (like me) move one settler to the PH to reveal if it's worth SIPing

EDIT: Having a small bit of trouble with the GOTM 74 Adventurer Class for Mac(see attachment for my problem). Help please?

11. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Chieftain GOTM Staff

If you are planning a rush, the PH south looks to be your friend - extra hammer and trees for chopping. I do not plan torush, since this is noble level and its too easy to win militarily... many others players will beat me by several centuries. :cry:

I like the tile 1N of the gold for settling. Will I move quechua 1NE first to see what it looks like? Nah... I've already made up my mind that of what we see, that's where I want to settle. I'll move him 1SW and see if there is anything that would pull me in that direction instead. The settler moving to 1N of gold will reveal enough to either confirm or deny that I want to settle there on t1.

I'll probably try for Diplo or space race... get some use from the gold and FIN trait. Near neighbors will be assimilated with axe or mace or something. Its a ready-made start for Oracle-Civil Service sling.

BTW: Quechua means archery is pointless... you can defend against raging barb archers with just the Q's quite easily. Q's will be obsolete before anything tougher comes along, unless you're doing something really wrong.

12. neilmeister

In Windows, this would mean that your Assets folder is different from what it should be, but I don't now about Mac's. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling MacBUFFY?

I will go and ask the Mac Oracle......

13. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Supporter GOTM Staff

You appear to have loaded HOF-Mac-1.74.002, as it shows up in the top left corner of your screenshot, but your software doesn't match the checksums it requires. There are a couple of possibilities:

1. Are you sure you have installed it in the Mods folder that lives with the Civ4 vanilla application - not the one within your Documents folder?

2. Are you running the latest version of Civ4? Check the version number by right clicking the application file and selecting Get Info. It should say it's version 1.74 (52473). If not, then download and install the latest patch from the Aspyr web site.

If you still have problems, download the Mac Assets Checker attached to [post=8890217]this post[/post]. Unzip it and run it and post or PM me the results.

14. neilmeister

edit: huge x-post with Alan

15. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

Hi Murky! Long time, no see! Wazzup?

16. Murky

Murky Chieftain

Nothing much. You still playing the SGOTMs?

17. LowtherCastle

LowtherCastle Chieftain

More than the GOTMs, I guess. I can't take GOTMs seriously.

18. CladInShadows

CladInShadows Chieftain

Haven't tried one of these before so might give this a go. The Inca are always fun. I'm going to try Challenger Class, but we'll see how I go as I haven't played anything but FFH and RFC for about 2 years so it'll be interesting if I can still play Vanilla CIV.

I'm thinking that PH is definitely going to be the best place to start, but am curious as to what is above the gold.

19. High King J.J.

High King J.J. Chieftain

When are the spoiler threads going to appear?

It might be that I almost never post in those because by the time they are finally available I have already forgotten what took place back then. Or even moved on to another Gotm, either completed or abandoned the current one.
    (I'm talking about things in general, only connection with this Gotm is that the spoiler threads are, well, aren't.)

20. neilmeister

Spoilers are up. Please do take the time to post, I love reading the spoiler threads. :)