News: GOTM107 Pre-Game Discussion; Saves Available!

But the desert is not on my way to anywhere (yet). I have to cross and road a hill to get to the GL & forests anyway, so adding a mine only adds 3 extra turns. Moving to the desert tile for the sole purpose of a pickup tile would be 6 turns. My head hurts.

Your first worker should go to the floodplains, not to the grasslands & forests, so the desert would not be too far off. (An early second worker can go north later.)

However, I think for the 5-turner you don't even need to waste worker turns for a "pickup tile": if I didn't miscalculate again, it already works with just one BG.

The ingredients are: 3 irrigated floodplain (iFP), 1 mined BG (mBG), 2 mined grassland (mG), 1 forest (F).

On the first turn we move our settler 1NE in order to get that extra grassland. We chop one of the two forests, the other one is left intact. Hopefully one of the 3 grasslands will turn out to be a BG. The cycle then starts at size 5 and runs as follows:

1. 3 iFP, 1 mBG, 1 mG --> 5f, 4s
2. 3 iFP, 1 mBG, 1 mG --> 5f, 4s + 2s by picking up the F on growth
3. 2 iFP, 1 mBG, 2 mG, 1 F --> 3f, 7s
4. 2 iFP, 1 mBG, 2 mG, 1 F --> 3f, 7s
5. 3 iFP, 1 mBG, 1 mG, 1 F --> 4f, 6s + 1s by picking up a hill on growth

Total: 20f, 31s !! :D

However, I still believe that due to the barb situation a 6-turn warrior/settler combo might be better?!

Or even better yet: one of the two forests reveals a deer on a BG... ;) Then all our calculations here will have been in vain and we'll just run a normal 4-turner...

BTW: I'm pretty sure that templar_x and Megalou are right, and my suggested 4-turner with one turn at size 7 is nonsense... :crazyeye:

The ingredients are: 3 irrigated floodplain (iFP), 1 mined BG (mBG), 2 mined grassland (mG), 1 forest (F).

On the first turn we move our settler 1NE in order to get that extra grassland. We chop one of the two forests, the other one is left intact. Hopefully one of the 3 grasslands will turn out to be a BG. The cycle then starts at size 5 and runs as follows:

1. 3 iFP, 1 mBG, 1 mG --> 5f, 4s
2. 3 iFP, 1 mBG, 1 mG --> 5f, 4s + 2s by picking up the F on growth
3. 2 iFP, 1 mBG, 2 mG, 1 F --> 3f, 7s
4. 2 iFP, 1 mBG, 2 mG, 1 F --> 3f, 7s
5. 3 iFP, 1 mBG, 1 mG, 1 F --> 4f, 6s + 1s by picking up a hill on growth

Total: 20f, 31s !! :D

This is the finesse I need to learn. I didn't even see this combination. I could have pulled off much the same thing with far less resources/worker turns than I was calculating. Your start anticipates moving 1 turn, but I would need to mine and road 3 hills and cut an additional forest. I think you are looking at 24 worker turns (w/early worker) vs. my very stupid 40 turns (w/early worker). Actually you would probably have been done with one worker before I was with two! Even factor in your early move and you are way ahead of me! I will have to rethink this. Moving on Deity makes me nervous, though. Thanks for the critique and . . . well . . . leading by the nose?

Or even better yet: one of the two forests reveals a deer on a BG... Then all our calculations here will have been in vain and we'll just run a normal 4-turner...

One missing BG and it is also all for naught!

templar_x said:
i do not think so. if you change back from the "large bin" to the "small bin", it will be always empty. that is, if i remember correctly.
I can corroborate that.

I think not, actually. If you drop back from the big bin to the small bin, your stored food is capped at 10, even if you had more than 10 food before. So you would start at 5.15, build your settler at 7.15, get cut back to 5.10, and not be where you started at. Not a sustainable factory, very annoying.

PB, you are right, of course. i remembered now that i once tested this. at first, i found the results very strange, but then the small bin/large bin suddenly made sense. i never found a sustainable factory situation above the point where a town grows to a city myself.

regarding my special match with Megalou, he pointed out to me in a PM that i could have held the thrill into it better if i had, umm, actually submitted one of the current games, GOTM105 or COTM75. :rolleyes: stupid me. however, this is only a symptom of the fact that i simply lack the time for the monthly competition. and i had completely lost track of which ones of the current games counted to the same month... :crazyeye:

i will try to submit the current Deity game, in order to withdraw in honour from my special competition with Megalou. (in fact, the funny dialogues with him and others, like Lanzelot et al., were the reason why i have taken the time even when it was hard to find. thanks for all the fun, guys.)

see you guys

templar_x

Top Bottom