1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

News: GOTM117 Pre-Game Discussion; Saves Available!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by civ_steve, Nov 6, 2011.

1. civ_steve

civ_steve Chieftain Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

GOTM 117 Pre-Game Discussion!

Please Note: This is the Civ3 PTW Game of the Month. It MUST be played using version 1.27f of Civ3 PTW, the last version. If you installed Civ3 Complete, the default game executable is Civ3 Conquests, but you do have access to the Civ3 PTW executable. You may have to navigate into the Civ3PTW directory to start it.

It was 10 years ago this month when the first Civ3 GOTM was held! :clap: I am working on GOTM120 to be the big extravaganze game to celebrate 10 years of GOTM, but we are looking back at that first game this month by playing that first Civ, Persia, at Regent level. The map is Standard, Continents and there are 7 AI scattered about to contend with. Good Luck!

The saves are available >>here<< right now, Nov. 6th. You will have one month to play.

Civilization: Persia
    Rivals: 7 preset
    Barbarians: Roaming
    Difficulty: Regent
    Land Form: Continents, 70% ocean, Standard map.
    Geology: 5 billion years old, Temperate, Normal

Conquest-Class Bonuses:
    1. Free Pottery
    2. Extra 100 Gold
    3. 2 Extra Spears

Open-Class Bonuses:
    1. None

Predator-Class Challenges:
    1. AI get Monarch Level Starting Bonuses
    2. No BW
    3. Immortals do not start your Golden Age

A reminder: do not post any game information to this thread after you have downloaded the save file. Absolutely no spoiler information for this or any GOTM is to be posted in this thread!

2. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

Interesting setup. The start location is a good settler pump, so i'm inclined to settle in place immediately and move the capital later. The predator penalty may be more a bless than a curse.

3. PaperBeetle

PaperBeetle Chieftain

Axe-settler combo factory is easy, but are we on a large enough island to merit it? There's some kind of shoreline visible to the east already.

4. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

I hope I can do better with these Persians than I did with the ones in that first GOTM. I still remember being stuck on that cold peninsula trying to fight the Aztecs with infantry and artillery. I didn't do very well in that game but it was my first Civ III game. Ten years later I still haven't mastered the game - but I have fun playing it!

5. CKS

CKS Chieftain

Is it a coast or desert? I can't imagine how one could tell, but fog gazing is not one of my strong points.

6. PaperBeetle

PaperBeetle Chieftain

Well there seems to be a patch of blue just above the southeast edge of the tile E,E,NE from the start.
    I can't see anything else out there, even with my strongest binoculars, so I don't think we can expect to find a 4-turner just around the corner somewhere.

7. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

what is your take on the game like after all, donsig? i realized in gotm100 that you have played every single game right from the start. but you usually do not participate much in the discussions, or write about your games. so i would be interested if you are playing by a special ruleset, for a specific goal, or whatever else.

templar_x

8. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

I just play for fun. My little brother introduced me to Civ I many years ago and I found CivFanatics back when I was playing Civ 2 and liked the game of the month idea. Before I played in the CIV 2 GOTMs I had no qualms about restarting a game or going back a few turns. The GOTMs taught me to live with my mistakes and I learned many errors can be overcome.

The CIV III GOTMs started shortly after the game was released and GOTM I was my very first CIV III game. Over the years there have been many, many months when the GOTMs were the only civ games I had time to play.

I'm not a very good player especially by the fast finish standards of the GOTM scoring system. I like to build big civilizations and have all the buildings in all my cities and I don't like being a bully to the AI and I don't like slaving so you can see why I lose alot. (I have the same problem in Civ IV.) I also am not a micromanager so you won't see settler factories in my games. I figure there's not much to talk about from my games which is one reason I rarely post in the spoilers. Another is I play the games very fast some times and usually can't remember what was going on in the ancient age or whatever the cut-off is for the various spoilers. Many times I start a game intending to play more deliberately and submit a quick start save but next thing I know I'm way past 1000 BC. I do look at the pre-game discussions. I've toyed with the idea of trying to improve my GOTM scores but old habits are hard to break. :lol:

9. bmd

bmd Chieftain

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, fairly new to the game, about four months of Civ III PTW. So I downloaded the 117 GOTM save and went to work. So here are my questions. 1. All those extra buttons that don't come but are on the save, how do I get them? 2. Is there a place were I can read about this version of the game? 3. How do you guys and gals remind yourselves to save at the right time?

BTW my attempt at GOTM 117 is less than stellar.:(

10. tR1cKy

tR1cKy taking over the world

1. those buttons are basically useless, btw you can activate them in the preferences menu, the voice to tick is 'show advanced actions' or something similar.
    2. if you follow the link on the first post (saves are available here) you get all the info you need to play this game. if you need further advice, please ask :)
    3. you only need to save at 1000 bc, and only in case you want to submit a QSC result, or else you can go straight to the end without saving. personally, i just save when there's something relevant happening that i could want to post a screenshot about, and of course when my game session is over, so there's no need at all to 'remember to save' :)

finally, my first performances weren't stellar either, but one can improve a lot over time, so don't be afraid if you suck at first, everybody needs to learn :D

11. bmd

bmd Chieftain

Thanks Tricky,

I didn't realize those buttons existed. Next month gonna come up w/ a pre AI beatdown strat, but I can rite tha ship on 117 and finish strong.:king:

12. Raliuven

Raliuven Chieftain

I think the rules say something about saving at 1000 BC, 10AD and 1000 AD for comparison purposes - or maybe so a moderator could validate your game, but I've never had anyone ask for them. Sometimes I blow past those dates by mistake but it doesn't really seem to matter. The only one you need is, as tR1cKy said, the 1000 BC if you are going to post to the QSC.

As for advice, I'd read through the war academy first. Just remember that a lot of it was written during the time of Play the World (PTW), so it applies to the GOTM (Ring City Placement, dual production cores with the Forbidden Palace, wonder rushing with a great leader, etc.), but the game is different for COTM. So keep in mind what version the author was using.

And if you have general game questions, post to the forum with your question, but you can't ask for advice on a current GOTM. For example, if you want to know how a settle factory works, that is a valid question. If you want to know how to make a settler factory given the starting position on GOTM117, that's not allowed.

There are many great players that participate in the forum discussions, they'll be your best source of information. They are very generous and it is a great way to 'up' your game.

13. bmd

bmd Chieftain

The Great Wall Wonder: gives free walls in all your towns/cities on the continent
    Explorers and equivalent unique units have been moved from Navigation to Astronomy.
    Space Race - SS Stasis Chamber Has been moved from Synthetic Fibers to Robotics.
    Republic Government Unit maintenance cost is 2 gpt/unit with free unit support of 1/3/4 for town/city/metropolis.
    Archer/Bowmen added defensive freeshot at 1/0/1.
    Longbowmen added defensive freeshot at 2/0/1.
    Marines Increased attack strength from 8 to 12 and cost increased to 120 shields.
    Radar Artillery Movement increased to 2 and rate of fire increased to 3.
    Air Unit Operating Ranges most have been increased up to the maximum hardcoded limit in Civ3v1.29.
    Lethal Sea Bombardment for all air units that can bomb targets.
    Lethal Land Bombardment for all bombers and steath bombers.
    F-15 stats increase to 8/4/1 (range of 8) with bombard at 6/0/2 lethal land & sea
    Helicopter transport capacity has been increased to 3.
    Stealth Fighter stats increased to 8/6/1 with bombard at 6/0/2.
    Stealth Bomber stats increased to 0/5/1 with bombard at 18/0/3.

These settings. Are these settings something I have to set or does the download ready them to play?

Whatever mod or version of PTW that you are using for GOTM runs so much better than out of box. How do I get this version. I know this way off post.:mischief:

Looking forward to submitting my GOTM if my Vista os will let me. It likes to crash at the end of the game.

14. CKS

CKS Chieftain

The settings are all done for you in the save you download.

These changes make PTW more like conquests, so you could just buy conquests instead of modding PTW. I don't think modding these changes into PTW is difficult, but I've never done any, so I can't tell you how.