News: GOTM122 Pre-Game Discussion; Saves Available!

civ_steve

Deity
GOTM Staff
Retired Moderator

GOTM 122 Pre-Game Discussion!

Please Note: This is the Civ3 PTW Game of the Month. It MUST be played using version 1.27f of Civ3 PTW, the last version. If you installed Civ3 Complete, the default game executable is Civ3 Conquests, but you do have access to the Civ3 PTW executable. You may have to navigate into the Civ3PTW directory to start it.

This has been a while coming out, so I've set this up as a Large Pangaea map, so I hope you are able to enjoy it for a while! Celts this month, Emperor level, and you will be competing against 10 AI civs, AND raging barbs! :) Good Luck!

The saves are available >>here<< October 2nd. You will have two months to play and submit.

Civilization: Celts
Rivals: 10 preset
Barbarians: Raging
Difficulty: Emperor
Land Form: Pangaea, 70% ocean, Large map.
Geology: 5 billion years old, Temperate, Normal

Conquest-Class Bonuses:
  1. Free Pottery and BronzeWorking
  2. Extra 100 Gold
  3. 2 Extra Spears
  4. Bonus Luxury

Open-Class Bonuses:
  1. None

Predator-Class Challenges:
  1. AI get 2 Bonus Unit Support and +1 Unit Supper per City
  2. No Ceremonial Burial
  3. AI get 2 free Pikes

A reminder: do not post any game information to this thread after you have downloaded the save file. Absolutely no spoiler information for this or any GOTM is to be posted in this thread!

Haha...

Anyway, Memento: this should be your type of map, isn't it? Pangea and 10 AIs... :drool: :hammer:
Hope I don't hear any more complaints... ;)

But if there isn't anything for supper in the fog, this is going to be a slow start... :D

Più Freddo;11878513 said:
20 extra Pikemen to kill, and half of them have just had supper!

Still playing Predator, of course!

Next time, we shall remember to poison their food, or at least to put some laxative in it.

Haha...

Anyway, Memento: this should be your type of map, isn't it? Pangea and 10 AIs... :drool: :hammer:
Hope I don't hear any more complaints... ;)
On my new PC i have only the Steam Version and there is no PtW on it.
But no matter, Large map and 10 AIs (and possibly iron far far away)->another long long Epic Game with to many Units.
Probably Diplo win is the fastest Option.
2 Months to play and the results come next year. Not my thing.

Have fun.

Più Freddo;11878979 said:
Still no .sav files!

Now fixed. They went into the wrong folder on the server, due to a script error that crept in when I was updating the system to use the download script for everything.

Apologies to you and Steve. It was all my fault. :blush:

Civ III is downloaded and I'm ready to play my first game in years. I've been playing Civ V but I expect I'll be rusty. :confused:

Hey, megistatos, welcome back!

Più: Civ V isn't that bad. I went to a LAN recently (hoping to find a Civ III opponent, but willing to play Civ IV like last year, if nobody could be convinced...) and then ended up playing Civ V all weekend because everybody was playing it, and I must say I really liked it. The "civ feever" stroke me again, which it didn't when Civ IV came out...
So I got myself a Steam account and bought it :shifty:

Civ V is f pretty fun and anyway, I've mostly been playing multiplayer with my girlfriend. :D

Having said that, Civ III definitely still cuts it!

the .sav files are not available.....

There's something that just doesn't add up with you, sir.

No more than 38 minutes after the thread is started, you're here complaining that the save files aren't available. It seems that you're used to download the initial save as soon as it's there. And, most of the times, you submit mere hours before the deadline.

Considering also your brilliant scores, one could think that you play so carefully and scientifically to the point that you make full use of the given time. And yet, your victories are incredibly fast, about 10 hours of game play, something that can be accomplished in, let's say, 3 or 4 game sessions. How's that?

Now, the malignant part in me would suspect that those games are actually following previously written notes or are just replayed over and over and over, until a result good enough for sumbittal is achieved.

But maybe this part of me is wrong. Maybe you just rush to download the game, let it sit unused in your desktop for a month or more, and then suddenly you realize that the deadline is almost over and rush to complete it in the final days. And still, you manage to achieve these stunningly brilliant victories.

after reading tr1cky´s post 3 times, i still cannot decide whether i find it very humerous and ironic, or if i am reading a quite harsh accusation of fraud... ;)
t_x

I am definitely not reading Tricky's post as humerous and ironic, but as a quite harsh accusation of fraud and I'm 99,99% sure I'm right on the money about that....

@ Tricky; wow, the first thing I thought after reading your post was; 'what a sore looser', but you get your fair share of (gold) medals so that can not be it (or you think you should get only gold medals?!). The second thing I thought about was a dutch saying that goes; "zoals de waard is vertrouwt hij zijn gasten".

A smart man wouldn't probably react at all to such a post but I'm just not smart like that. So for your viewing pleasure here comes the explanation!

I had some time on the 3rd of october so I was pleased to see the post of Civ_steve. But when I couldn't download the save file I posted a short message (what, imo, was not a complaint). At the time AlanH solved the problem my time for GOTM was burned that day. I actually played a bit on the 5th (all the way through 1725 BC to be exact (I still have the saves on my computer so I checked it!), than lost interest in GOTM for a solid 6 weeks. Picked it up again on the 22nd and 23rd of november, played a couple of hours on both days. Left it again for a week and then all of a sudden we were only a few days away from the final submission date and I decided I DID want to submit this game (mainly because I just enjoyed this GOTM but also because I didn't submit COTM 93 and didn't want to have 2 non submits in a row (kind of s up your ranking doesn't it :)). So I picked it up again on the 30th, the 1st and finally finishing it 2:30 in the morning of the 3rd (weird thing; the GOTM site says I submitted on the 1st but I'm very sure I did on the 3rd (and have the e-mail to back it up!).... Crazy stuff!!!!!).

So 2 summarize it; your second explantion (the sarcastic one) was pretty close 2 the truth!!!

Damn, that's a very boring story. With my sincere apologies to everyone (ofcourse -/- Tricky :)).

As for the thing of time played. I think that's about 2 things;
1) I think you most likely micro manage a lot more than me with the purpose of getting as high a score as possible. That takes time! Why I think this is because I almost always get the fastest time medal but regularly you still have a higher score than me (so you do better on happiness and terrain stuff which can be accomplished by better micro management than me). Props 2 you for accomplishing that feed.
2) I always close the game if I'm not playing. I'm pretty sure a lot of you don't do that (for example the 140 hours Paperbeetle had on COTM92! I hope that was not the net time spend on the game!)

Some quick other note;
you say "most of the times, you submit mere hours before the deadline". That was definitely the case with GOTM 122 and COTM92 but in case of the 3 submits before those; I made them a total of 6 weeks prior to the deadline.

I hope this explanation makes you happy! Finally I would like to thank you for saying that I manage to achieve stunningly brilliant victories. I also think you're a great player with very creative ways to solve the stuff that Civ_steve throws at us in the games. I personally hope we can still have a lot of battles for the gold medal (you know, with me playing open (big irritation of yours isn't it?) and you hopefully also playing open). Great competition makes victory just a lot sweeter!

Ciao

140 hours? That's quick! Plenty of games I've left running over 200 hours. I would like to know actually how much time I am playing though; I would often expect over 100 hours per game, as many times I micro every city on every turn of the game. Usually this is a terrible strategy, because I end up with only 12 hours before the deadline and 80 turns before my 20k comes in, and in my rush to hammer End Turn a lot I end up tripping the dom limit or somesuch. :suicide:

Top Bottom