News: GOTM124 Pre-game Discussion; Saves Available!

civ_steve

Deity
GOTM Staff
Retired Moderator

GOTM 124 Pre-Game Discussion!

Please Note: This is the Civ3 PTW Game of the Month. It MUST be played using version 1.27f of Civ3 PTW, the last version. If you installed Civ3 Complete, the default game executable is Civ3 Conquests, but you do have access to the Civ3 PTW executable. You may have to navigate into the Civ3PTW directory to start it.

GOTM124 is up! It's the Americans! Difficulty reduced to the lower levels at Warlord. Pretty middle of the road Map, and 8 AI to contend with. And, perhaps a surprise or two :p Good Luck!

The saves are available >>here<< February 2nd. You will have 1 1/2 months to play and submit; that's roughly March 17th.

Civilization: America
Rivals: 8 preset
Barbarians: Restless
Difficulty: Warlord
Land Form: Continents, 70% ocean, Standard map.
Geology: 4 billion years old, Temperate, Normal

Conquest-Class Bonuses:
  1. Free Ceremonial Burial
  2. Extra 100 Gold
  3. 2 Free Spears

Open-Class Bonuses:
  1. None

Predator-Class Challenges:
  1. AI get +1 Unit Support per City and +2 Bonu Unit Support
  2. Loss of Pottery
  3. Each AI gets 2 Free Spears

A reminder: do not post any game information to this thread after you have downloaded the save file. Absolutely no spoiler information for this or any GOTM is to be posted in this thread!

Having just finished COTM95. It's time to turn my sights on to this challenge. The Warlords setting should be just a little bit easier than COTM95's Deity level. Conquest or Domination on Warlords seems too easy (though getting a medal isn't) perhaps culture would be a challenge.

America means no risk of an early golden age by the unique unit. Settle in place looks OK, but it would be nice to save popping the Goody Hut until later. Looks to be a flood plain 2E, nearby hills and mountain mean shields shouldn't be a problem. No nearby luxuries means happiness may be an issue.

Beeline to Mapmaking if we are alone or on a small continent with just 1 other Civ.
Build a couple scouts to get as many goody huts as possible?? I can't remember, do scouts count as a fogbuster for Barbs or are they like Workers?

No nearby luxuries means happiness may be an issue.
On Warlord 3 people start content. That's like an Emperor start with 2 luxes, so should be ok

I can't remember, do scouts count as a fogbuster for Barbs or are they like Workers?
I think a in order to suppress barb camps, the unit needs to have an attack value > 0, so my guess would be "no".

yippiee , finally a competition game that can't possibly make me cry ...

Top Bottom