News: GOTM65 Pre-Game Discussion

civ_steve

Deity
GOTM Staff
Retired Moderator

GOTM 65 - India!

OK, we'll take a "short" break from the Expansionistic civs, and play as Gandhi, leading the Indians. He's usually a great builder civ, and if you desire, you can put your builder skills to the test while playing this Large, Pangaea map, only 60% Ocean. There are 13 Deity AI sharing the world with you ... not too hard to overcome, I'm hope! :)

Civilization: India
Rivals: 13 pre-selected.
Barbarians: Raging
Difficulty: Deity
Land Form: Pangaea, 60% ocean, large map.
Geology: 5 billion years old, Normal, Warm

Conquest-Class Bonuses:
TBD

Predator-Class Equalisers:
TBD

(Special Note: Being a Large Map, and roughly spring break time, you'll get an extra week to complete and submit your game.)

No need to take a walk - I will certainly settle in place.
Certainly granary first - on deity after 2-3 warriors.
The games are tough to improve - chops in Ptw suck. It might take some time before the chop is in order. But certainly at least one for the granary.

So research on Pottery - than Writing. MM if we are alone.
Raging barbs on Deity - quite a challenge. :shifty:

Ouch. Large map?!? Looks like another one not to submit for me... :sad:

Raging barbs on deity? That makes it half a level harder I think...

India isn't the civ I chose when playing deity.

Commercial is nice but provides as an early bost only the knowledge of Alpha.

Building a half priced temple pretty early is nice. No anarchy is nice.

Still not the perfectciv, especially because the UU in PTW sucks.
It just requires no ressources and doesn't have any other difference to the normal Knight, right?

Hmmm...

Those game tiles are nice...I don't know when I 'll chop them cause they give a nice early production boost. OTOH, just chopping gives +1 food, irrigated +2 food.

Research: definitely min run on writing.

That's a lotta land...

Raging barbs on deity don't have to be tough - just don't fight them. Let the AI send their stacks of 12 warriors through your territory on their way to barb camps and hope they don't stop :scared:.

Still not the perfectciv, especially because the UU in PTW sucks.
It just requires no ressources and doesn't have any other difference to the normal Knight, right?

Yeah, another UU to go in the dunce's corner in my classroom. Worse than a knight by dint of the fact that you can't build it by playing disconnect/reconnect. Here's hoping for some resourceful predator bonus.

Raging barbs on deity don't have to be tough
That's right; as soon as the AI civs have you hopelessly boxed in, the raging barbs wont be a problem! :D Actually, there's a lot of space on this map, but the AI will have lots of bonus troops to send after the barbs.
Here's hoping for some resourceful predator bonus.
Like coal, perhaps? :) I thought about requiring Iron, but that would make Predator strategies potentially too different from the other two classes.

That's right; as soon as the AI civs have you hopelessly boxed in, the raging barbs wont be a problem! :D Actually, there's a lot of space on this map, but the AI will have lots of bonus troops to send after the barbs.

So to make Predator more difficult, maybe the AI shouldn't start with any extra units :mischief:.

Or to look at it from another angle: the barbs are there to distract the AI... maybe the predator bonus should include a lower barb setting.

100K with only 4 cities will never work :lol:

I'll start this one, but I'm not sure if I'll have the time to finish it. Diety games seem to eat up a lot more hours than Monarch and while a large map will help get a little more space, it'll just make the AI exponentially tougher.

I agree with settling in place. I'll get those furs roaded ASAP and start with a warrior for MP duty (that gets Delhi to size 3) and then try to get a second city before going for a granary. Hopefully there will be another luxury nearby. As for research writing, literature (for Great Library) unless we are all alone on an island, then Map Making for galleys.

What would make this a little easier is very few sources of iron & horses (and SP). That would give our jumbos some weaker targets.

I finally have time to play again and I come back to this. Crap. Just crap. I guess I'll try to complete the current COTM before the 30th. Here's hoping! Cheers!

my first gotm was the deity ottomans. was all set for early war, beat up the opposition... and we were next to greece *and* carthage... *sigh*

Is there any possibility that we can have the pre-game discussion three days before release and not as now only one? Travelled yesterday and missed it all.

I think I better try deity on PTW random game with these settings before trying this. I'll settle in place when I do start and assume we are not alone on an island with that central start on the mini-map. Early contacts would be nice, too.

My suggestion to all in the AA period - Be Nice - When the AI asks for something, of course your majesty - When the AI whacks you, you say "Please sir, may I have another"

I vow to submit if I can get hold of a disc. Just to prove that what I like best is to barely beat the AI, I will go deity and thereby make sure I risk losing.

Quote of the day: "Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away?"
Alone on a deserted pangea we should definitely go for Map Making!
And an immidiate retraction:
SORRY, I have no interest in insulting anyone. Anyone can misread. I just wanted to get the Aliens quote in. Strike back at me if you feel like it. ;)

Top Bottom