News: GOTM80 Pre-Game Discussion

civ_steve

Deity
GOTM Staff
Retired Moderator

GOTM 80 Pre-Game Discussion

This month we'll revisit the civ that started GOTM - Persia! I hope to have all in order for a timely release, but it is Father's Day in the states, so the game might be delayed a day.

Civilization: Persia
Rivals: 7, preset
Barbarians: Restless
Difficulty: Monarch
Land Form: Continents, 70% ocean, Standard map.
Geology: 4 billion years old, Wet, Temperate

Conquest-Class Bonuses:
  1. Free Pottery
  2. 2 Bonus Spears
  3. 100 extra Gold

Predator-Class Challenges:
  1. No Masonry
  2. AI get a bonus Musket to start
  3. AI bonus support and starting units increased to Emperor level

A reminder: do not post any game information to this thread after you have downloaded the save file. Absolutely no spoiler information for this or any GOTM is to be posted in this thread!

I guess the worker climbs the mountain to see what is up. On conquest, I'd climb a mountain with each spear - but if I see no reason (like another food bonus), I'd move the settler east and the worker to the wheat. Lots and lots of BG's, so a 6 turn warrior/settler isn't an issue at all.

Is it safe to assume you mean settler west, AT? I'm thinking I'm likely to settle in place - it would be nice to have the wheat in the starting 9, but that looks like more coast to the west (any real fog-gazers agree?). I'd like at least a half ring around my capital.

I'd take a chance on 1N with the settler, worker to build road/mine in place and continue to build road/mines. After warrior/settler, 2nd settler adjacent to wheat on coast.

I must be silly... why not move the settler onto the forest and settle there? Coast AND lake, 4 BGs, the wheat... what more could an aspiring dictator want?

I will probably settle in place mine a BG, irrigate the wheat and then chop the forest for a quicker granary. I will get one maybe two warriors out exploring before I build the granary.

This will give 4BG, plus the irrigated wheat, enough for a settler pump. I will most likely use 3 RCP but will depend on the surroundings.

Gotta restrain my 20K urges... I did 20K the last two games and won the medal too, but this place looks soo good!
Nevermind, I'll try Immortal Conquest this time. Will go for MM, GLH and see how it goes.

Probably go with Settler -> W for a better RCP and faster growth.

Hey, I finally caught one of these before it started!
And it's at my difficulty level, I'll have to read the rules and find out about this more.
Looking forward to it.

I think I'll plant my town on the spot, it looks fine, and having a town that fast is key for me.

An Empire building Lombax

My calculations give the following result. I go for a Warrior-Settler Combo Factory at sizes 4..6 always working the Lake in both cases.

Settling in place:
o Two early Warriors in 3750 BC and 3550 BC free to explore

Settling 1W:
o Only one early Warrior in 3550 BC, with limitation
o First Settler 1 turn earlier
o Later Settlers 3 turns earlier

Alphabet can be reached in 2350 BC in both cases, if the "1W" exploring Warrior is returned to the capital for MP duty 1 turn (!) before the third Warrior is produced. After this point, "1W" has slightly stronger research, since cities are founded three turns earlier. Later, "in place" could catch up if RCP is better. Exploration is much better if settling in place.

I expect to settle in place. Once the saves come out!

chop the forest for a quicker granary

That Forest tile is worth the same as a mined Bonus Grassland tile, since +4fpt doesn't fit well to the 10 food/pop situation with a Granary. You can work the Forest every turn in a +3fpt, +3fpt, +4fpt scheme, where the forest is selected automatically by the Governor on growth.

One more mined BG can then be left to a RCP3 first-ring city.

...or you can use a +4fpt, +4fpt, +2ft scheme and alternate the usage of the irrigated wheat with one (or possibly two) RCP first ring city.

The forested tile could also be a bonus grassland tile.

Top Bottom