News on the upcoming patch

Beamup

Higgs boson
Anyone who reads the Strategy forums over at IMG most likely saw this there already, but Glenda Adams posted there recently with some news on the upcoming C3C patch:

Glenda Adams said:
Good news for Civ 3 Complete players, we just got a Universal build that is in QA right now. Once it's all shaken down over the next couple weeks we should be ready to release that patch. It also fixes some of the weird permissions errors people have been reporting on powerpc.

Thought people might be interested. ;)

Beamup said:
Anyone who reads the Strategy forums over at IMG most likely saw this there already, but Glenda Adams posted there recently with some news on the upcoming C3C patch:

I wasn't sure if the UB thing was "secret" or not, but yeah - the upcoming patch is Universal. It also fixes compatibility with PBEM games and third-party mods, lets you use Cmd-Tab or Cmd-H to get out of the game when it's fullscreen and a few other things (the "missing sounds" bug is still at large).

A side-effect of fixing PBEM compatibility is that it breaks compatibility with current Mac net games. So users who don't patch will not be able to play online against users who have patched (it will give a version mismatch error if you try).

jornaa said:
Will there be unit attack sounds?

See Brad's comment above:

"(the "missing sounds" bug is still at large)."

Any news? I would love it if Civ3 complete took up less cpu, etc., on my MBP, and a universal binary would help that.

Scott

Brad commented on this in passing in a Civ4 thread. He said:

the indefatiguable Brad Oliver said:
As for the Civ3 patch, I believe it was decided to wait until Civ4 ships so I can return to it and finish it so we only have to do one patch ever for Civ3. I have not touched Civ3 in a few months now because of Civ4's death march of a schedule. Of course now that I've said that, watch us release a patch next week and prove me wrong.

AlanH said:
Brad commented on this in passing in a Civ4 thread. He said:

Yeah. To clarify, at one point we were talking about releasing a "beta" Civ3 patch, since a few bugs (like the sound thing) are still outstanding. But I believe the current thinking is that it's not really worth it since Civ4 is nearly done and what's a few more weeks at this point since I'll have time very soon to get back to it.

I had not spotted that thread. I agree about a few weeks not really being that big a deal. (Aside from a bit of tasteful want-everything-now whining. :mischief: )

Scott

While the patch was coming "any minute now", I didn't bother looking for extras for FileValet to do. However, if there's anything that people need it to do now that we know he patch will take a week or three for a rework cycle, please shout.

One open issue I'm aware of, and know how to fix in the saves, is the research queue corruption, but if everyone is working round it OK ...

So with forthcomming release of CIV4 will the sound patch for C3C now receive some (or more) attention?
:rolleyes:

Hydrogen said:
So with forthcomming release of CIV4 will the sound patch for C3C now receive some (or more) attention?

With or without the sound patch, I'd like to see the patch that will make C3C compatible with GameRanger again.

Good luck to Brad and the entire Aspyr team with CIV4, but I hope those of us who bloncked down $50 for C3C will not be forgotten.

Robert

I just read in another thread that C3C is working with the current version of GameRanger. I haven't had much luck there, but I'll try again.

Don't think so. The list is still inside Aspyr, and probably still being worked on. The bugs I'm aware of that it would be good to have fixed are:

- Manual saves are not compressed
- Some unit sounds are not played
- Problems with cross-platform play, caused by occasional extra data in PC saves
- Problems with mods and file paths
- Occasional crashes

There may be more, and all of the above may not get fixed.

Virtual Alex said:
No gameplay changes? Like making the AI stop using riflemen as attacking units?

The mac version is to be the same as the windows version, besides purely technical problems, such as chrashes and compatibility issues, Aspyr will not make any patches unless the original depoleper, Firaxis, does so.

And Firaxis is not going to make any more patches for Civ3, not even to fix some very serious bugs in the windows version. So you can forget about changes in AI strategy, its not going to happen.

I'm sorry too...

Top Bottom