1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

News: SGOTM 11 Sign-up Thread

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession GOTM' started by AlanH, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

BtS SGOTM 11 - Welcome the Goddess

Please join me in thanking the inestimable DynamicSpirit, for creating this new challenge, ably assisted by the incomparable Erkon. Here is DynamicSpirit's description of the game and its goals.

You are playing as Gandhi and, appropriately, your civilization is dedicated to the worship of the Goddess of Peace, Eldine, who will enter the world to bring in an era of everlasting happiness on the very day that you prove her righteousness to the world by securing a peaceful victory over the other civilizations. There is but one problem. Eldine is currently naked and must be clothed when she enters the world. In order to clothe her in a manner as befits a great Goddess, you must have access to fur, dye, silk and ivory. Your Holy books tell you that Eldine will use the fur as a portal through which to enter the world, and to demonstrate your devotion to her, you must have a welcoming party ready on the fur: Four great people (to symbolise Eldine's greatness) and four warriors (to symbolise the toil and labour as you raised Eldine's great civilization from a single settler). This will be no easy feat, since rumour has it that fur is so rare that only one unique supply exists, and that is heavily guarded by the most vile barbarians. Doubtless this was the result of meddling by the Devil Satan when the world was young and the Gods not paying sufficient attention.

Oh, and Eldine detests war and all its trappings. On the day she enters the world, she will question your brother and sister AI civs to ascertain how you have treated them, and will be distressed beyond belief should she discover that you have been excessively warlike towards them - in that case she will reject your civilization and look for more worthy worshippers.

Your aim in this game is to welcome in Eldine by securing a cultural or diplomatic victory that satisfies the following conditions:

• Every AI is still alive and running a state religion.
    • All your cities have access to fur, dye, silk and ivory.
    • You have the welcoming party of four great people and four warriors standing ready on the only fur in the world. (The great people can be of any type)
    • You are running a state religion which has been spread to every one of your cities.
    • No more than two AIs have a 'you declared war on us' negative modifier towards you.

The winner of the competition is the team that secures the earliest (measured by date) cultural or diplomatic victory where all these conditions are satisfied on the turn of your victory. Obviously your game is forfeit should you lose the game or win by some other victory condition. If you win a cultural or diplomatic victory without satisfying all the conditions, your game will be listed and ranked within a secondary group for the amusement of other teams (especially if you do something silly that makes it impossible for you satisfy the conditions, like letting ivory become obsolete, or having fewer than 4 warriors when your tech becomes too advanced to let you build any more).

The game will be played on emperor level.

Starting Position
    Here's the starting position - click the image below to see a larger version.

Map Parameters
    • Playable Leader/Civ - Gandhi of India
    • Traits - Spiritual, Philosophical (starts with Mysticism and Mining)
    • Unique Unit - Fast Worker (replaces Worker)
    • Unique Building - Mausoleum (replaces Jail)
    • Starting Era - Ancient
    • Difficulty - Emperor
    • Game Speed - Epic (750 turns)
    • World size - Standard
    • Rivals - Six
    • Landform - Fractal
    • Sea level - Medium
    • Climate - Temperate
    • Other settings - No goodie huts, No events
    • Victory Conditions - All enabled
    Notes
    • Versions
      This game will be played in Civilization IV Beyond the Sword, version 3.19, using the HoF Mod BUFFY-3.19.003. This HoF Mod version is available here.

If a later BtS patch, or BUFFY version, is released during this game you will NOT be able to use it to play. You will need to complete this game in the above versions before updating your copy of BtS, or create and update a separate copy.

Mac players can only join in if they are able to run the Windows game on their system.
    • Awards
      Teams will compete for up to four awards - the Gold, Silver and Bronze Laurels for the Fastest victory that meets the above stated conditions, and the Wooden Spoons for the lowest scoring finisher.
    • Timetable
      The start files will be published on Friday, April 23. As in SGOTM 10, I shall set a deadline for you to finish.
    • Sign-up
      Please post in this thread as soon as possible if you wish to join a team and take part in the competition. The information required to place you in a suitable team is as follows:-
      1. Have you played any Civ4 GOTM games before?
      2. Have you played any succession games or SGOTM before?
      3. Do you have a group of players you want to play with?
      4. If you are new to GOTM/SGOTM, which level (noble, monarch, etc.) are you comfortable playing in a solo game?
    • Rules and Procedures
      Please visit the Civ4 SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.

All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.

Spoiler information will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

Please sign up for this game as soon as possible by posting your own details in this thread. I shall publish draft team lists below in the next ten days.

2. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Current team lists - live feed from the database.

3. remake20

remake20 :)

I would like to join a team.

1. Have you played any Civ4 GOTM games before? No
    2. Have you played any succession games or SGOTM before? No, but I've looked through a few
    3. Do you have a group of players you want to play with? I am on team Phoenix Rising.
    4. If you are new to GOTM/SGOTM, which level (noble, monarch, etc.) are you comfortable playing in a solo game? Well I feel fine at Deity, but to actually be in the top half of the points, Monarch/Emperor.

4. babybluepants

babybluepants Deity GOTM Staff

5. Link

Link Scarves

1. Have you played any Civ4 gotm games befor? no
    2.Have you played any succesion games ot sgotm before? no
    3.Do you have a group of players you want to play with? team pheonix rising
    4If you are new to GOTM/SGOTM, which level (noble, monarch, etc.) are you comfortable playing in a solo game? price/monarch

6. dima42

dima42 Prince

1. yes, one (this month's "deity" botm)
    2. no
    3. no
    4. emperor/immortal

7. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. OSS
    4. Whatever XOTM is up.

8. cas

cas Emperor

1. yes
    2. yes
    3. Who Dat?
    4. emp

9. Backwards Logic

Backwards Logic Emperor Palpatine

Yes
    Yes
    Smurkz, assuming we get the crew back together.
    Emperor

10. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

11. Mad Professor

Mad Professor Deity

Yes
    Yes
    XTeam

Now I know what took so long. The testing necessary on this one would have been a tad complex. :eek:

12. Mitchum

Mitchum Deity

1. Have you played any Civ4 GOTM games before? Yes
    2. Have you played any succession games or SGOTM before? No, but I've been a lurker for the last 2 or 3 games
    3. Do you have a group of players you want to play with? Fifth Element
    4. If you are new to GOTM/SGOTM, which level (noble, monarch, etc.) are you comfortable playing in a solo game? Emperor

13. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

I am open to joining an existing team or to forming a new team.

1. I have played many Civ4 GOTM games and have been known to win the odd award from time to time.
    2. No, I haven't played in a Succession GOTM game. I have, however, lurked for a few of the SGOTM games and have lurked in many open Succession Games on the Forums.
    3. Fifth Element. Thank you to all others for your interest and I wish you the best of luck in the competition!
    4. I am comfortable playing and usually winning at Deity (Cultural Victory), Immortal (Diplomatic and Conquest Victories), and Emperor (Space and Domination Victories).

14. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Yes.

Yes.

I would like to rule the Unusual Suspects so that I can play with them as though they were tin soldiers. ;)

Deity. Not that I win much, but I'm comfortable with that.:mischief:

15. beestar

beestar subdeity

- Yes
    - Yes
    - Who Dat?

16. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. One Short Straw
    4. Immortal/Deity.
    I do not like to play Deity, because one con not experiment and I always like to play differently.

17. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. One Short Straw
    4. Immortal/Deity

18. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Yes
    Yes
    One Short Straw
    under Murky Waters (guys, give us a chance to beat you!)

19. DwarfSleepy

DwarfSleepy The Sleeper

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Maple Sporks
    4. Monarch

20. BLubmuz

BLubmuz HoF Quattromaster

Yes
    Yes
    Fifth Element, if we manage to recruit enough players
    Monarch