NEWS: Sid Meier's Next Big Thing

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Avault reports today that Infogrames and Firaxis will reveal Sid Meier's next game at a gala event to be held during E3. The companies will make their announcement at Los Angeles Convention Center on May 14th. The event comes four years to the day after Meier announced Civilization III at a similar gathering during E3 1999.

My guess is it's either 3D Pirates or 3D X-com... :)

Can I write a prediction in a sealed envelope?

I have already heard a civ 4 rumor on another cite. The jist of the rumor is that some programming had already started on civ 4 which promises a much grander ai....You heard it here first.....;)

SMAC II would be way cool. I think it's got a better chance of being SMAC II than CivIV. We did just get PTW!

Doesn't EA, and not Infog, have the rights to SMAC?

As much I wouldn't mind a Civ 4, I doubt we will see it this soon. I think we will see a Civ 3 XP2 announcement long before we see a Civ 4 announcement.

Thank you for the update, Thunderfall.

Originally posted by dreadknought
I have already heard a civ 4 rumor on another cite. The jist of the rumor is that some programming had already started on civ 4 which promises a much grander ai....You heard it here first.....;)

Nooooooooooooooo, he didnt say........dread. ;)

I hope its Civ 4, and that much grander AI would be nice!

It wouldn't be all that strange if it is Civ4. If he announces the beginning of the making of Civ4 now, it will probably be at least two more years before it is released. I think that gives plenty of time to enjoy Civ3 and PTW.

I think it will be different from anything we have ever seen.

Maybe another expansion?

Or would that not be worth the announcement at e3?

Definitely not Civ4... Too soon, compared to Civ3 and PTW, and I'm just starting to fully enjoy Civ3, so I don't want Civ4 now !! Even if it needs a couple of years for development.
We can expect a great thing from Sid... I think it will be a totally new game, but a "Sid game", you know what I mean. It just can't be another expansion pack for Civ3, it would not deserve this advertisement, and I don't know what could really be done to enhance Civ3 now.
As for a SMAC II, I really don't know, I've never played it (shame on me :D ) ; I'd find it surprising but it's not impossible.

I have been waiting on a new version of Xcom that plays like 1 or 2, but that actually runs on a current box, for so long, I can't stand it. I know there are projects out there to do an Xcom remake, but none of them have anything approaching beta quality yet.

Xcom is the only reason why I still have a 486/66 running (woohoo for Vesa Local Bus).

Perhaps Sid will make a foray back to his Railroad Tycoon days. It's still an all-time fave of mine ;D

Originally posted by skorn
Perhaps Sid will make a foray back to his Railroad Tycoon days. It's still an all-time fave of mine ;D

The originall rrt was awesome. I still have a cd I picked up several years ago that has rrt and b17 on it. It still runs, although at hyper speed on newer machines. So, it goes on my 486 as well (along with doom, descent, rott, civ1, kroz and the ever popular Commander Keen series).

I donft mind if its Civ4, or SMAC2 or RRT orc anything made by that man is just great!!
But if I should make a guess I believe it something new.

I dont think it is going to be SMAC II, and I do not want it to be.
SMAC was disigned by B. Reynolds and most of people who programmed and contributed to SMAC including BR left FIRAXIS.

Top Bottom