1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

NEWS: Sid Meier's Next Big Thing

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Thunderfall, Apr 28, 2003.

1. GreatGold

GreatGold Chieftain

Wow -

The memories of X-COM are intense. It was my first true addiction (not my last though ;) )! My friends and I would take screenshots, or just draw the maps, of some battles just so we could go over possible tactics for hours. Hell, we even created SOP's for boarding scouts/harvesters/battleships/etc. Not to mention the strategic considerations needed!! Who didnt dread watching a Battleship coming right at your main base...only to pass over it...and then double back for the kill?!

Of course, the sequals blew it for me. Completely, in my opinion, did not live up to the original. But...BUT...if Sid Meier could pull it off with the results of Civ then i would shi....er....soil my pants!

Just this talk of X-COM makes me wish I had a copy from days of yore. Of course, even if I did, I doubt it could run on a modern machine. A shame...

X-COM was THE game that started gaming for me. It had everything...atmosphere, intelligence, and even fun. God, to see it revived in all its glory would be a dream.

Heres to dreams,
    Golden

2. Civ

Civ Chieftain

I hope it will be turn based strategy game ..

3. Apolex

Apolex Chieftain

PIRATES!!!! I hope it's pirates... god I loved that game

4. Aggie

Aggie Deity

Indeed, and they are going to give us Rise of Nations :) I hope it's CIV4. I've played CIV3 a lot (really a lot), but I have the feeling that I'm slowly learning the secrets of the game.

5. Fr8monkey

Fr8monkey Deity

I paly 'Sea Dogs' by another company; but it doesn't do the origonal Pirates Gold! justice. As for Civ 4, I think they reall have a good thing going with Civ III / PTW. Another expansion with different mods would make it much better!

6. MaXXXXXuM

MaXXXXXuM Chieftain

Cmon XCOM!!!! WOOOOO

7. Gen

Gen Prince

I hope it will be Master of Magic 2 :D

8. Mariusz

Mariusz happy to go blind

I think that new X-Com is being made by someone else. It's going to be named: UFO:Aftermath.

9. Paalikles

Paalikles Emperor

Though I think I d like to see all the titles mentioned in this thread, I sincerely hope Sid Meier's next big thing is something new. I would look forward to Colonization 2, Pirates, X Com...., and I suppose the teaming up between Firaxis and Infogrames must be because they will be reviving a good old one (since Infog. has rights to many Sid titles).

10. Chris1111

Chris1111 Lurker

In a move to compete with the ever increasing popularity of online games Sid Meier announces Civilization Online!

Live and die in a world where you can be part of the populace and throw riots or party at a whim. Run around in bearskins as a warrior fighting for an anonymous immortal leader. Get promoted to leadership through many battles and lead armies or construction crews in the development of mighty wonders. Coming in a later expansion become a spearman and learn the skill of Tank Sabotage......

*gets booed off forum* :p

11. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

Nope.

It's Dinosaurs. A prewiev of the units is already included in the PTW/extras/prehistoric/art/units -folder.
    Yep, all those 12 (?) dino's are in the game.

So, It's completely something new this time...

:lol:

12. kaslks75

kaslks75 Chieftain

I hope that Sid will announce that for the last year Firaxis hired twice as many programmers, and cancelled all vacations, sick time, smoke breaks, potty breaks, lunchtimes, weekends, holidays, etc... to produce Civ 4 :)

13. Greyhawk1

Greyhawk1 King

So long as they keep the turn based genre going - I hope they dont sell out to the whizz-bang RTS crowd ;)

14. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

I'm hoping for Colonization II....

15. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

Maybe it will be another game entirely. Who holds the rights of Fantasy Empires these days? :)

16. cwood

cwood Chieftain

watch it be some lolly gaged game that everyone will think its cool by what the box says. but truely it will be almost worst than pong. oh i post my vote for pong 2 yeah pong 2. pr a game where you can shoot whales

17. NetDanzr

NetDanzr Chieftain

SMAC II: Rights owned by EA; it's very unlikely they'd sell the rights to Infogrames.
    RRT: The RRT 3 is already in production, and not by Sid Meier.
    Pirates 2: Considering Bethesda is working on Pirates of the Caribbean (a tie-in to a movie, and built upon Sea Dogs), I don't think another pirates-themed game can do well in such a small niche.
    X-Com: Considering the current trend of resurrecting old games (Secret Wepons of the Luftwaffe, Sam & Max, etc.), I don't see why not. Considering the trend in the X-Com series, I'd rather not see any other X-Com game (even though UFO: Aftermath looks promising).
    Colonization 2: Sorry, a little too politically incorrect. There was a controversy with the original Colonization for not including slavery in the game, and I can't imagine a game that deals with the genocide of Indians and slavery to be released in current day and age.
    Sid Meier's Golf 2: Publishing rights owned by EA. No way Infogrames would publish it.
    Civil War strategy game: I think there's been enough of them. In addition, with a few budget Civil War-related games on the shelves right now, the niche seems to be moving away from mainstream publishing.
    Covert Action 2: Now this is a game I'd really love to see :)

18. Moulton

Moulton Monarch

Having played ALL his games and loved them all (BTW Pirates Gold was not as good as the original..)
    Any good sequel would be welcome, but I think it is time for his imagination to break new ground.
    I loved X-Com and Jagged Alliance -- but these are tactical

A trading game -- East India Co on a global or Galaxy scale?
    Combination of Colonization War on an alien planet?
    Given the current fad interest in covert ops -- I could go for that as a strategic game.

19. dguichar

dguichar Warlord

...but where is Master of Magic 2?

Hey... Master of Magic (and Lords of the Realm), as far as i know is the only turn-based games that require you to have food to support your units.

Also, i really wish it's a turn-based game. I really dislike real-time games where everything is about to building a huge army as soon as posible to destroy everyone else.

I will be glad, if it has an AI with different rules they are stated in the manual and shouldn't be guessed out during the game.

Keep civilized

David

20. Generalissimo

Generalissimo Chieftain

I just wanted to put my two cents into the ring. I really really really hope its Colonization II. For some reason my old version of Colonization won't run on my machine now, it always crashes after I find a leader or whatever they are called and I would love to play a new version of that game.