NEWS: Sid Meier's Next Big Thing

Oh yeah, a game about colonizing space and alien planets, cool idea ! It would still reminds us of Civ, but I fancy playing as a commercial confederation ;) or as an evil empire ;) or as rebels ;) or as wookies ;) . No just kidding, but that would be a nice backgroung to play : spaaace !

Originally posted by dguichar
...but where is Master of Magic 2?
Master of Magic was designed by Steve Barcia and the SimTex guys of Master of Orion fame. The closest it came to Sid Meier was that it was published by Microprose. I only listed games that were at least partially designed by Sid Meier.

(Other than that, I think that Age of Wonders II does a pretty good job as an unofficial sequel to MoM.)

It should be x-com, i love all of the first 3 games, interceptor was pants and that enforcer was even worse, good ol` turn based games are brilliant

RRT 3 is being done by PopTop, expected to be out next year.

I have to believe that Sid is getting tired of doing CivXXX. In fact, I heard that he really didn't have that much to do with Civ3. I think Firaxis will come out with Civ4 within the next 2 years, and it will probably have Sid's name on it, but the next big Sid game will be something completely new.

Of course, I could be wrong, and Firaxis may redo one of the old Sid games, and put Sid's name on it. But I still believe if it really is a new project that Sid really is involved with, it will be totally new. He did mention in an interview last year when people were asking him what was next, that there were several of his original games that he would like to redo, with current technology, but most of them were owned by another publisher. I interpret this to mean that he is up to something totally new.

I want either a new Pirates or Colonization game. I wish they would run on my pc. I hate XP for not letting me run the games.

I would not be surprised if it is Civilization 4 because it has been a long time since Civilization 3 was released (4 years). After all Sid left Jeff Morris to create PTW so Sid could have started on Civ 4. ;)

There is a downside, however. If it is not civ 4 and something different (that is addictive) than all the people will abandon this forum and start a different one about the new game. It would not be cool! :cry:

Nothing is impossible! :)

I noticed that not all people wanted civ 4. Hhhhmmmmmmm, I thought they were *Civ* fanatics!:lol:

Whatever it is GO SID!!!!!!:goodjob:

Civilization 4 already?!

No. No. Nonononono. Not only two years (civrules, it was released in 2001) after its predecessor was released. Besides...I just got Civ 3! :(

Hmmm. Someone said it has been 4 years but o well. Maybe they were talking when they first anounced it?

And there goes my idea. I know how to find out what Sid’s game is going to be. Ask his son!:) Or maybe Sid is keeping it a secret from him too. I would not be surprised.:wallbash:

This IS Sid Meier we're dealing with. Hopefully it'll be something completely new, Sid generally doesn't go wrong.

If it is Sid Meier, and not another shameless licensing scam (Sid Meier's Civilization III indeed...) then it'll probably be a brand new game, since his previous record suggests that he doesn't 'do' sequels.

Originally posted by unrelated
This IS Sid Meier we're dealing with. Hopefully it'll be something completely new, Sid generally doesn't go wrong.

But he does look like a toad.

Hey guys, even if it is Civ4, think about it. . . They announced Civ 3 almost four years ago, and it was two years later it was released.

So we're looking at at least another year for development, then betatesting, publication. . . it'll be a while.

If it is Civ4, great. If it's another SMAC, I'll probably check it out. I missed SMAC, so I don't know anything about it, other than what I've heard here.

Two more weeks. . .can we wait?

Sorry to ask but, what dose “SMAC” stand for? I have never played it but probably heard it’s full name.:rolleyes:

Can someone give me it’s full name so I can check it and maybe buy and play it?;)

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is what it stands for

I spend about equal amounts of time playing Civ3 and SMACX (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Alien Crossfire). I'd certainly get a sequel to either game. In fact, a combination of both would be great. SMACX's AI, diplomacy and government system are better than Civ3's, however you have to play with seven factions (no more, no less, regardless of map size).

May 14th is only two weeks away. We can all wait until then to see how Sid is going to get more of our hard-earned money. [party]

Hopefully MoM2, maybe Dinosaurs, possibly something new...

Its not going to be Dinosaurs. The reason the Dino units were included in PtW was because they were going to make a DIno game but then decided against it. They already had the animations so they converted them to Civ units.

It will be something in 3D because they just bought the rights a 3D Engine. My guess is it will be either X-Com or Pirates because both of those could be done in 3D. Though if you look at the Job Openings page you will see that they just hired 3D artists with
>Must be well-versed in real-time production process
>3DS Max proficiency
>Real-time modeling and/or animation experience required
>Ability to model convincing real-time characters from concept sketches
Not only that but they were looking for programmers who had
>Experience with real-time perspective
>Key involvement with at least 2 multiplayer titles from a major studio

So that seems to indicate a 3D Real Time Multiplayer game. X-Com could be made along the lines of Freedom Force with 3D pausable real time. Pirates could be made like that too. Or it could be something completely different. :) Whatever it is, I think it will be a lot different than Civ3 or SMAC.

But before that comes out I think we can expect to see another Expansion for Civ3. I think they need to recoup some of the good will that they lost when Infogrames rushed PtW out the door.

Top Bottom