[RD] News Thread of the Americas

My forecast is for a Duterte-like presidency. There's an outside chance of a military autogolpe, but more likely that will prove unnecessary. The form of government that is on the rise in the early 21st century, namely illiberal democracy/electoral authoritarianism, should suffice.

No, there is one big difference: Duterte is kind of nationalist, Bolsanaro would sell his own mother to the US. He will sell everything he can in Brazil. The vast majority of brazilians are going to suffer as a consequence.. He got the (reluctant, only because they're not sure about him) support of the local plutocrats in this last stretch of the campaign, I'm guessing he'll deliver to those because he doesn't care about those consequences. And they in turn will provide all the propaganda cover Bolsanaro needs , at least until the next international downturn (2019?) or the consequences of increasing even more the inequality and corruption (2022 or later...) sink Brazil even further.

My guess is that he'll only try a coup if the world economy makes him toast sooner that the local situation by itself. And then it'll likely fail. Otherwise he'll built his own network of graft from the existing ones in Brazil and rely on that. Doing a coup now would not only be unnecessary, it would mean that he'd get the full blame for whatever happened later.
But then again I think that he's more a political idiot who got a stroke of luck rather than a bright political strategist. Which means that trying to reason what he'll do is not going to lead to good guesses.

If Bolsonaro wins the US should kill him and topple his government.

I hope this is sarcasm.

The US has interfered enough in Latin America over the last two hundred years. Me thinks it is far from what an optimal state for the region can be.

Let the Brazilians have their fascist. Let him let them down. Let them learn that he's just another side of the old coin. Only then they might decide to look for a new one altogether. When the sewers remain non-existent, the Favelas and crime-lords adapt to the new police and the economy is milked by international corporations and the average Brazilian is in the same state in 2022 as 2018, maybe then we'll see a world-class power start to arise.

Here some statements of Bolsonaro collected by the Guardian:

• “I had four sons, but then I had a moment of weakness, and the fifth was a girl.”
• “I’m not going to rape you, because you’re very ugly” – to a female representative in Congress.

* “I’d rather have my son die in a car accident than have him show up dating some guy.”
* “They don’t do anything. I don’t think they’re even good for procreation any more” – referring to quilombolas, the black descendants of rebel African slaves.
• “You can be sure that if I get there [the presidency], there’ll be no money for NGOs. If it’s up to me, every citizen will have a gun at home. Not one centimetre will be demarcated for indigenous reserves or quilombolas.”
• “You won’t change anything in this country through voting – nothing, absolutely nothing. Unfortunately, you’ll only change things by having a civil war and doing the work the military regime didn’t do. Killing 30,000, starting with FHC [former president Fernando Henrique Cardoso]. Killing. If a few innocent people die, that’s alright.”
Bolsonaro has also said he will not accept the election result unless he is the winner – only to backtrack after a negative reaction.

Hmpf, Bolsonaro is a monster if he feels that way about his own blood.
I'll pray for Brazil.

Is there anyone he does like?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jair_Bolsonaro

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...-issues/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7a2254547ed5
More recently, Bolsonaro professes to have adopted a profound shift in favor of the free market — and promises what could be a deep dive into capitalism. He has tapped University of Chicago-trained economist Paulo Guedes as his financial czar. Guedes, a staunch disciple of economic liberalism, has had to convince the market that his views will prevail should Bolsonaro be elected. Knowing that Guedes would be steering the economy made investors much more willing to take a chance on Bolsonaro.

“He listens to me when it comes to politics, I listen to him when it comes to economics,” Bolsonaro said of Guedes. “We’re dating.”

Guedes has said he wants to privatize or shut down state companies, cut down on public spending, ease international trade and pass austerity reforms. Investors are swooning, but whether Bolsonaro can actually deliver on these divisive promises will depend on the strength of the coalition he is able to build in the National Congress.

Some worry that the Bolsonaro-Guedes match won’t last, and that Guedes might leave — or Bolsonaro might oust him — before he’s able to implement meaningful reform.

Well, if investors like him :hmm:

Crime
“A policeman who doesn’t kill isn’t a policeman,”
Bolsonaro said last year. That pretty much encapsulates Bolsonaro’s views on law enforcement.

Brazil is so bad off that they need Robocop?

Last edited:
Let the Brazilians have their fascist. Let him let them down. Let them learn that he's just another side of the old coin. Only then they might decide to look for a new one altogether. When the sewers remain non-existent, the Favelas and crime-lords adapt to the new police and the economy is milked by international corporations and the average Brazilian is in the same state in 2022 as 2018, maybe then we'll see a world-class power start to arise.
Yes, I can agree with this, but I hope he's muzzled. Bolsonaro wants to destroy the Amazon jungle, for fun (it will really annoy a lot of people) and profit (a lot of people will make money out of it). In doing so he'll destroy what effectively acts as one of the planet's lungs. Well, he won't be able to completely destroy it, but he might actually cripple it.

And his approach to everything is modelled along those lines. (continues below)
Hmpf, Bolsonaro is a monster if he feels that way about his own blood.
Time to pray for Brazil.

Is there anyone he does like?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jair_Bolsonaro
He loves himself.

Read the actual title in the URL: ‘declara que seria incapaz de amar um filho homosexual’: he states that he would be incapable of loving a homosexual son (literally). That is, he wouldn't hope for his homogay son's death as a sort of release from a curse, or something that would prevent him from sinning. It's simply that what he doesn't approve of must be destroyed.

(continued from above)
The real thing is, you have an entire political class conspiring to set the public an impossible choice: PT(/PMDB) vs. PSB. :ack:
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the electorate could choose between something other than corrupt inept self-proclaimed saviours on one side and corrupt inept self-proclaimed saviours on the other?

Wouldn't it be wonderful if people actually stopped seeing the tree (Bolsonaro/Haddad) and started seeing the forest (the interests behind each)?

Last edited:
What I want to know is, how many rolls of tape has Bolsonaro stockpiled?

The form of government that is on the rise in the early 21st century, namely illiberal democracy/electoral authoritarianism, should suffice.
I'm starting to hope that they take a lesson fro the Boneparte dynasty and start declaring themselves emperors. It would at least add a touch of theatre to the whole grim business.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be wonderful if people actually stopped seeing the tree (Bolsonaro/Haddad) and started seeing the forest (the interests behind each)?

I know you're a cynic, and I know that the PT made many errors, basically playing the same game as the others in order to govern. It is easy to say that they should have broken with the past, but that was not actually easy to do. Given that they were very far from having a majority in congress Brazil was impossible to govern without either political corruption (which they played at) or carrying out a real revolution. (which they did not had the strength to do).

Haddad was one of the cleanest candidates in this election. Dilma was clean even if some of the people around her were not. Lula possibly took a little peanut (even by "western" standards of political corruption) and was made a political prisoner because he'd have won the election if he could have run. The judiciary, which is very much part of the upper class in Brazil, put Bolsanaro in power. It was not their intention but it was the outcome of their deliberate coup. And now they are willing to be his creatues. It stinks a little of Weimar. I do think that this will end badly for Bolsanaro and this upper class, but only after a lot of unnecessary suffering in the country.

I wish Haddad had had the good sense to withdraw and given his support to Ciro. A more left-wing candidate still not compromised by associations with power in the past could have carried the election. Much as Sanders would have done against Trump in the US.

I'm starting to hope that they take a lesson fro the Boneparte dynasty and start declaring themselves emperors. It would at least add a touch of theatre to the whole grim business.
The Brazilians have already been a monarchy, man. Formally, I mean.
I know you're a cynic, and I know that the PT made many errors, basically playing the same game as the others in order to govern. It is easy to say that they should have broken with the past, but that was not actually easy to do. Given that they were very far from having a majority in congress Brazil was impossible to govern without either political corruption (which they played at) or carrying out a real revolution. (which they did not had the strength to do).

Haddad was one of the cleanest candidates in this election. Dilma was clean even if some of the people around her were not. Lula possibly took a little peanut (even by "western" standards of political corruption) and was made a political prisoner because he'd have won the election if he could have run. The judiciary, which is very much part of the upper class in Brazil, put Bolsanaro in power. It was not their intention but it was the outcome of their deliberate coup. And now they are willing to be his creatues. It stinks a little of Weimar. I do think that this will end badly for Bolsanaro and this upper class, but only after a lot of unnecessary suffering in the country.

I wish Haddad had had the good sense to withdraw and given his support to Ciro. A more left-wing candidate still not compromised by associations with power in the past could have carried the election. Much as Sanders would have done against Trump in the US.
PT, by running as PT to try to save themselves and their name, threw the country to Bolsonaro. But that's not the only thing I have against them. I have their links with Hezbollah. I have their longstanding association with PMDB. I have all the people killed in building the stadia for the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympic Games. Their support for the murderous Chavez and Maduro, and the Kirchners and Correa and Morales and all the rest. They had the mandate and the opportuniy to steer their country away from all that.
One thing that has come up in the pentiti horror show that started in Argentina in August was that more or less all public works in Peru, Venezuela, Brazil, Argentina, etc. wherever Odebrecht had a hand were corruption hubs. People have testified in bribery cases involving Hugo Chávez.

I do agree, as I have stated many times, that imprisoning Lula da Silva and deposing Dilma Rousseff on corruption charges while leaving her VP and the entire congress free was completely hypocritical (as was done with Kuczynski in Peru, but his pardon of Fujimori's been reversed). But that does not, still, absolve them of anything.

Just because I think Bolsonaro is a monster puppetted by people in the shadows does not mean I am going to absolve PT of the huge damage they've done to their own country and the entire region.

Still, I don't think Brazil's business class wanted Bolsonaro. He might be better than some leftwingers and at least he'll sell away the Amazon forests which will net them a lot of money, so they'll back a re-election bid unless he screws up even worse than PT did.

Bolsonaro says that his priority is the relationship with Argentina; his economics guru says that Mercosur is a four-letter word. I wonder who'll win out. In this sense, at least, it sounds as though Bolsonaro really was a disciple of Vicente Fox, of all people.

So judge Moro has agreed to become Bolsonaro's justice minister… while I have no doubts (so far) about his professional cabaility and his courage in the face of power, this is completely disheartening. You cannot jail a politician and then when his opponents take the presidency accept a position from them even before they have actually taken office without arousing suspicion. :shake:

Also, ten state legislators from Rio de Janeiro have been arrested, along with 12 other people, for corruption, embezzlement, etc. by the federal (not local) police.

Not anymore, maybe, (and possibly also in hindsight; as I said, it's a disappointment) but it's not that easy to proceed against those sitting in power.

In yet another worrying development, Russia has flown two nuclear-capable Tu-160 bombers to Venezuela while Maduro spouts nonsense about defence and what-not. Of course, Venezuela suddenly does have money to sign an agreement. I suppose that the agreement is that Venezuela allows Russia to use its air bases and naval bases (as Russian defence minister Sergei Shoigu says) in exchange for Russia blocking anything that other countries might attempt in Venezuela via the UN or any other association or forum of which they might be members. After all, they are preparing some joint exercises already.
Year-on-year inflation in Venezuela currently stands at 1.3 million %, but that is a minor concern compared to staying in power.

Meanwhile, in Bolivia, Evo Morales has once again managed to get the Supreme Court to make up an excuse for why re-election is illegal in everyone's case but his and there are ongoing violent protests with a few injured and one dead already (as of Monday night). :(

Nicaragua's government has refused permission for a demonstration to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Jair Bolsonaro goes on in wrecking-ball mode.
First he denounced the fact that Cuba always retains its doctors' wages and holds their relatives hostage to prevent defection and called it a political stunt, in answer to which the Cuban government, ever helpful to the people, decided to withdraw its doctors from Brazil.
Now he's allowing his future Foreign Minister to state that under his leadership Brazil will withdraw from the Global Compact for Migration (presumably to suck up to Donald Trump?)
It seems as if the man really is an epic-scale troll as I've always believed and will stop at nothing to score points.
But of course, a man like him building on a campaign against ‘corruption’ will, suddenly, have his son, state senator Flavio Bolsonaro, have a driver who has unjustifiable amounts of money just sitting in his bank account, and the incoming first lady Michelle Bolsonaro also apparently under investigation.
If what Dilma Rousseff did is enough to have her removed from office then the same should apply to the current culprit.

Peru has had a referendum!
There were four proposals:
  • reform of the hyper-corrupt judiciary (passed, 87.1%)
  • campaign finance control (passed, 85%)
  • limits on reelection of legislators at the national level (passed, 85.2%)
  • parliamentary reform, going for bicameralism (rejected, 14.9%)
    (the results aren't definitive; they're from exit polls, but with such a slant they are irreversible)
Logically, the judiciary and political reform were all opposed by Fujimori's followers in parliament so president Vizcarra had to force their hand and have a referendum.

To my great dismay but total lack of surprise I'm just reading that Daniel Ortega has expelled two missions from Inter-American Commission for Human Rights from Nicaragua, breaking an agreement signed only last June.

Which is even more worrisome because Argentina has just started its own #metoo only last week, centring on an Argentine actress accusing a far older actor of having raped her when she was 16 and they were both on tour in Nicaragua, which might not be investigated at all if Ortega insists on toeing the Cuban-Venezuelan line.

Also a worrying development is China ‘donating’ military gear for police special units in the fight against drug smugglers and people smugglers. I found a photo gallery.

Eeep! Now I'm just watching Al-Jazeera and the crawl says that sitting president Michel Temer has been formally charged with corruption. A bit too late in my opinion.

So right now the Guyanan (Guyanian? @Mise) government has lost a vote of no confidence and Venezuela's military has seized an Exxon ship that was exploring for oil in Guyan(i)an waters which Venezuela claims as its own. Just now the US government has issued some sort of warning that Venezuela should respect other countries' sovereignty, etc.

So right now the Guyanan (Guyanian? @Mise) government has lost a vote of no confidence and Venezuela's military has seized an Exxon ship that was exploring for oil in Guyan(i)an waters which Venezuela claims as its own. Just now the US government has issued some sort of warning that Venezuela should respect other countries' sovereignty, etc.

https://www.apnews.com/cd10f639212147f7a8552d1f34122a48

Seems like a bad idea to give the US reasons to advocate for military action against Venezuela.

Top Bottom