News: TSG 143 Announcement

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 143
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the 143rd game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif, Hammer Rabbi or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ V BNW - TSG143 Details:
Player (You): Gandhi of India
Victory Condition: Domination all other VCs are enabled, Difficulty: King
Civs/City-States (including player): 8/16
Map Type/Size: 4 corners/standard
Game pace: quick

Game options:
Start - Ancient Era
Enabled - Quick Combat, Quick Movement

(Regardless of starting options, you may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Game Requirements: korea, mongolia , Wonders of the Ancient World DLC. Gods and Kings expansion, Brave New World Expansion.

India Unique Abilities:

Spoiler :
UA: Population growth unhappiness from cities is doubled. unhappiness from population is halved

UU: War Elephant. - a Unique unit that replaces the chariot Archer it is stronger but slower than the chariot archer. it doesn't require horses

UB Mughal Fort -replaces the castle. provides 2 culture per turn .

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by earliest date and highest score ). We will issue a medal to the top winner (based on earliest date finished for each VC). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends october 15th, 2016.

The save will be available for download on september15th, 2016 midnight Central Standard time (UTC -6:00) in the US.

The Save can be found here.

Never played Four Corners before... The description says "This map is sectioned into 4 equal sections, separated by water, with land in the very middle." Will have to run some tests to see if Optics is enough to get to all the capitals on this map.

Never played Four Corners before... The description says "This map is sectioned into 4 equal sections, separated by water, with land in the very middle." Will have to run some tests to see if Optics is enough to get to all the capitals on this map.

I don't think you even need Optics to get to all the sections, but there's a severe bottleneck in the center of the map if you don't have it. (I've never played this map before)

It might be interesting to rush a settler to the center and block it, and build roads thru the chokepoint -- in your territory so nobody else can use them,

I have never played that map type, and speed is quick. This might be another GotM settings worthy of a test game!

I don't think you even need Optics to get to all the sections, but there's a severe bottleneck in the center of the map if you don't have it. (I've never played this map before)

It might be interesting to rush a settler to the center and block it, and build roads thru the chokepoint -- in your territory so nobody else can use them,
You're right, no need for Optics, and the central area is spacious enough. The map itself is really small though, just 36*36 tiles. Even Great Plains is slightly bigger at 44*32.

Elephant and horse rush (mostly elephants) with a few spears? And totally ignore all the unhappiness? Gold might be a problem.

Elephant and horse rush (mostly elephants) with a few spears? And totally ignore all the unhappiness? Gold might be a problem.
Elephants and scouts, I think. Unhappiness might be annoying as India, I don't think it's even worth expanding here, probably better to just stay on 1 self-founded city.

I played a quick 50 turns at lunch. Went right side Honor to Military Caste, then switched to the left side. The tricky part of this one is the quick game pace. Elephants take a lot of hammers, so even if that's all you build it takes a while. Level-up the first 2 on barbs while building the third and your scouts are still out exploring. Tribute a CS or two. Converge all your units (except one garrisoned archer) and your free great general on your closest neighbor and declare war. Meanwhile build a library and more elephants and an occasional spear or composite bow. Easily wipe out your neighbor, even tho' it's Monty or Alex

The first war cost one inexperienced elephant. The rest are leveling up nicely but don't have Logistics yet. Now what? There are still 6 more civs to go, and you're falling behind in tech and the 'phants will be obsolete soon. The cities are starting to hit back a lot harder. It shouldn't be too hard to take one more capital, but after that I bet it stalls because the AI's will have pikes and a few might even have knights and castles.

I also wonder if March might be the best 3rd elephant promotion instead of Accuracy III or Barrage III since they are your front line.

It might be interesting to rush a settler to the center and block it, and build roads thru the chokepoint -- in your territory so nobody else can use them
How confident can you be that you are moving towards the center? Seems to me that you have a 3 in 4 chance of going in the wrong direction?

How confident can you be that you are moving towards the center? Seems to me that you have a 3 in 4 chance of going in the wrong direction?

In my practice game, it was very easy to figure out which quadrant I was in and which way to the center by finding 2 edges with my scouts. The Aztec capital was in the center (this also mean *you* might be right in the center.) When I captured Tenochtitlan I met most of the other civs.

War elephants will be op the first few civs. Mayyybe they can go all the way idk. I almost never play quick but usually on king you can sweep with pretty low tech units if you just spam them.

Happiness management could be a problem though. India UA will be detrimental if sweeping the map fast.

...by finding 2 edges with my scouts.
Okay thanks for the clarification. I thought you were advocating trying to claim the middle with your initial settler.

So four quadrants should be two civ per quadrant, correct? I will try to kill the neighbor with the elephants, then probably turtle until Rocketry. My track record for making progress before Rocket Artillery is terrible.

I started another game last night. I opened Liberty and Honor, but I took the free worker (and the extra hammer) before the free settler. Actually, I finished the left side of Honor before the free settler. Killed my neighbor (Morocco) and annexed Marrakesh, and was headed for Portugal when I saw that Assyria was attacking a city state, and the CS was defending very well. (Assyria had the biggest military and I was a close second) I waited for him the capture the CS and then I DoW'd. Liberated the CS and while I was pushing to Assur, I found the Assyrian city of Copenhagen :) I took it first, then Assur; they are still puppets.

I stopped warring to get my gold and science under control. Petra and Pyramids hadn't been built so I tried for them and got beat by one or two turns, then realized "what the hell am I doing building wonders?" I declared war on Maria and I'm busy killing all her units. I'm trying to get March and Cover on some of my WE's so they will be really good knights pretty soon. But they are still doing a good job even against pikes and knights.

Gold is tight, even with Copenhagen and Assur carpeted with trading posts. I had to rush buy a pike back home to take care of barbarians that were causing trouble and throw some gold at a mercantile CS, and Marrakesh was on production focus while building Machu Picchu so I had negative GPT for a while, but it's positive again I just don't have any reserves. And now Marrakesh is building East India Company so that will help with GPT.

All the CS's love me, even the ones I tributed early on. That's helping quite a bit. I was going to open Patronage next, but took Commerce instead because I'm going to have some really long roads before this is over.

--
BTW, one reason I stopped building units was I was over the unit cap. I've been getting lots of free ones from militaristic CS's, including Forest Elephants (lots of those), a trebuchet, a regular sword, and two Kris swordsmen (with really good secret promos, "Restless" and "Invulnerable") But even when I wasn't building more units I should have been at war with someone.

I did not capture Nineveh; it's way up in the corner of the map and I didn't want it. Right after the war was over, he built the Great Wall. :lol: Now I don't have to worry about someone else building it. Maria declared war on Ashurbanipal (he had 0 military when I was done with him) and burned up a lot of her military throwing units at it right before I DoW'd her.

trendy said:
Happiness management could be a problem though. India UA will be detrimental if sweeping the map fast.

That hasn't been a problem. I'm only keeping the capitals, and leaving lots of open space for barbs to spawn. I'm allied to half a dozen CS's just from barb quests. Delhi is growing rapidly, and the UA is making it act like a Tradition capital. I'm just now getting around to building coliseums. One of the few wonders that I built was Notre Dame, and one of my follower beliefs is happy temples. Now I just have to spread it to my other large cities... My happiness only dipped negative for a few turns while I was razing a city.

I played a quick 50 turns at lunch. Went right side Honor to Military Caste, then switched to the left side. The tricky part of this one is the quick game pace. Elephants take a lot of hammers, so even if that's all you build it takes a while. Level-up the first 2 on barbs while building the third and your scouts are still out exploring. Tribute a CS or two. Converge all your units (except one garrisoned archer) and your free great general on your closest neighbor and declare war. Meanwhile build a library and more elephants and an occasional spear or composite bow. Easily wipe out your neighbor, even tho' it's Monty or Alex

The first war cost one inexperienced elephant. The rest are leveling up nicely but don't have Logistics yet. Now what? There are still 6 more civs to go, and you're falling behind in tech and the 'phants will be obsolete soon. The cities are starting to hit back a lot harder. It shouldn't be too hard to take one more capital, but after that I bet it stalls because the AI's will have pikes and a few might even have knights and castles.

I also wonder if March might be the best 3rd elephant promotion instead of Accuracy III or Barrage III since they are your front line.

When you meet the other civs and they decide your warmongering is an issue, they slow down as they build military so you can knock out 3-4 civs before you are heavily in need of upgrading.

I expect great players will get 60 turn win easily with worker abuse exploit. Rest of us can expect 100+ turns. If you hit 150 just quit.

When you meet the other civs and they decide your warmongering is an issue, they slow down as they build military so you can knock out 3-4 civs before you are heavily in need of upgrading.

I expect great players will get 60 turn win easily with worker abuse exploit. Rest of us can expect 100+ turns. If you hit 150 just quit.

It'll probably take me almost 200 turns ;)

My second practice game is going much better, and it's a lot of fun; I'm going to finish it. (I hope I don't burn out on these settings before starting the real game) I went Liberty mainly for the extra hammers and the faster workers. At first I wasn't even going to use the free settler, but I was above my unit cap and also I wanted the Great Scientist from the finisher.

I also took God-King for my pantheon; that's another hammer. So I was able to quickly get 2 elephants built to start my rampage, joined shortly by another elephant, and then I kept building elephants. And scouts work just fine for taking cities until you train some beefier melee units, just make sure you always send them in 2 at a time unless they can move 3 tiles.

The war elephants are still doing okay against early-renaissance units, they just have to attack in mass. They are tough enough to take a punch from a knight or a 27-strength city (maybe not both in one turn) and they can outrun pikes. It helps that I also have forest elephants gifted by a CS. I have to clear out all the defending units first, soften up the city a little with crossbows, then move my trebuchets in. The crossbows give the city something to shoot at while the trebs set up. Pretty soon I'm going to need cannons...

I don't know if even the best people here will make it in 60 turns since being forced to duck in and out of each corner takes a little time. Honestly, with early rushes they may not need to worker abuse at all (only take workers from legitimate wars). It will be all about spamming archers, then maybe war elephants until everything's dead.

With a little practice everyone here should be able to easily clear a map like this in 100 turns. Just have to not make buildings and spam build units. Domination at lower levels like this really isn't that complicated. You don't have to be some superskilled tactician or anything. Monument and granary (maybe colosseum) are really the only buildings to consider unless you're intent on teching to crossbows. Even without any buildings at all you should be able to win pretty fast.

My practice game stalled after I took Salzburg and then tried to push on to Vienna. The military advisor said it was in the bag, but I was losing a lot of experienced units, and my supply lines were way too long. And she built the Red Fort. She offered me Graz for peace, and I might should have taken the deal and razed it, but I took all her gold and GPT instead.

While waiting for the peace treaty to expire, I finished the road all the way across the map so my units can get there, and I annexed Salzburg. I'm gathering all my troops on the border, and building barracks, armory, and a factory in Salzburg. But I think I'm going to wait until dynamite to declare war again (I'm pretty close to it now) If I leave to go attack Rome in the last quadrant, she will declare war on me and recapture Salzburg (it's full of wonders) I'm also just a few turns away from picking Autocracy. I bribed Caesar to attack Babylon to soften them both up for me; the game should be over pretty fast once I take Vienna.

Something else weird is going on with religion in this game, and I wonder if it's because of the quick pace. My great prophet wasn't able to convert a 9-pop city state that already had a follower of my religion and none of any other religions. So I didn't even try, I moved him one of my own 8-pop cities, and it took 2 tries to convert it. After 2 hits, the city only had 6 followers. Same thing at a 10-pop city. A plain old missionary should be able to do better than that.

Honestly, with early rushes they may not need any workers at all. It will be all about spamming archers, then maybe war elephants until everything's dead.
You'll need at least a few roads, and luxuries hooked up. The first war can probably be won w/o any workers.

Long time since i last visited this board. I came back to Civfanatics looking for some info on Civ6 but figured i could have a look at GotM too. Since this is an unusual setting i started 2 games as tests. Some points to consider
  • The central area isn't much smaller than the corners, but the map creates choke points making moving army difficult (in both games, one of the corners access was occupied by a CS), in addition there can be mountains between the central area and some corners, creating more choke points. It might not be easy to just rush everyone with elephants.
  • Quick speed will make your elephants obsolete faster while they are trying to reach all the corners
  • Corners are not very big, you might be able to plant 1-2 more cities, but that's it ... of course you probably don't need more.
  • The game will feel much different if you start near the center or in the back of the corner you share with another civ, especially if that civ is Shoshone. Sure you'll conquer it sooner rather than later, but you'll have much less early CS gold.
  • It's possible to cross the water without astronomy. Might be faster than moving throught the center depending on where you start, where the choke points are.
  • Starting location looks rather bad. We need a strong start with production and i don't really see it. Well, at least there are plains.

Top Bottom