News: TSG 173 Announcement

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 173
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////
Welcome to the 173rd game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.
Must Read!

Civ V BNW - TSG173 Details:
Player (You)ODA of Japan
:
Victory Condition
: Domination but all other VCs are enabled.
Difficulty: Emperor
Civs/City-States
(including player): 10/24
Map Type/Size: large/cont+
Game pace: Standard
Start - Ancient Era
Enabled - Quick Combat, Quick Movement, Raging barbs

(Regardless of starting options, you may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Game Requirements: Korea, mongolia, Wonders of the Ancient World DLC, Gods and Kings expansion, Brave New World Expansion.

Japanese Unique Attributes:
Spoiler :
UA: Bushido - Units fight as though they were at full strength even when damaged. +1 Culture from each Fishing Boat and +2 Culture from each Atoll.
UU: Samurai - This Unit fights more effectively and helps produce Great Generals more quickly than the Longswordsman, which it replaces. Embarked Samurai can build Fishing Boats in one turn without being consumed (which makes them useful even in times of peace).
UU: Zero - Air Unit designed to wrest control of the skies and intercept incoming enemy aircraft. This Unit has a bonus against other Fighters and does not require Oil.
B

This is where you will start:

tsg173.jpg

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.
TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Once you have opened the save, DO NOT POST in the Announcement thread, even non game-related information. Instead use the next thread.
Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.
After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.
Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.
This game runs for a month and ends September 1st, 2017.

Attachments

• TSG173_Start.Civ5Save
    576.9 KB · Views: 263
Hopefully, no surprise turn limits this month! Warrior 1E to bust some fog, but almost certainly SIP. Since we are looking for a Dom VC, I can usually get there ... eventually.

I'll move my warrior first to take a look around, but will probably move my settler east one tile to have a coastal hill with fresh water instead of grassland.

I haven't played much with Japan -- other than I know to keep at least one Samurai around forever to rebuild pillaged fishing boats. But I just thought of something... Zeros don't need oil, so you can build them without researching Biology. So you can pretty much beeline Radar and only pause to backfill the top row of techs when they get ridiculously cheap (one or two turns to complete), then spam Zeros while the AI are still using triplanes and GW bombers because they had to find and develop oil first. You can add battleships and bombers later.

The only problem is not having submarines to protect your carriers from enemy subs. I have no idea if that matters on this map.

Cool, I tried to start several Japan games last week since I never played them before. Rolled 3 terrible starts in a row though so didn't play them.

This start; never seen a start without any lux at all, hope that's not some trick. I'll move the warrior east to see what's there. Probably settle on the hill to the east as well.

I used to play these TSG's a lot but never joined or posted. Bored and have the day off so I think I'll bust through this one since I don't see 174. I might start playing more again and actively post here, but this game can be like drugs to me so we'll see.

I'll probably SIP to preserve the nearby hills for mines, that way I can justify chopping to nab a wonder later on. It's domination so wonders aren't really necessary, but Brandenburg could make for some ridiculous Zero's in the later game. Chopping to deny the Wall to others is always nice too. Though I'm hoping to have won or "guaranteed" victory earlier on this one, barring any surprises.

Other things I notice: Large and continents increases the chance for a longer game if the other civs are unassailable for some time. If I start with only a few neighbors I will go for quick eliminations and preserve some barb farms for honor culture. Raging barbs can really make honor powerful in the early and mid game and I am shooting for kill VC. If I start isolated I will grab tradition instead or in addition to. Unless I immediately see 4+ great city locations I will pass on liberty. Starting build order will be scout>scout>monument/shrine (depending on ruins, CS neighbors, and a few other factors), after that I think I'll pump out archers and an occasional settler. Gonna snipe a few workers off my closest neighbors. If all civs are easily accessible from the start I'm just gonna pump units and go for the quickest possible victory

P.S. I realize submissions are over for this one but figured I might share my experience anyway.

Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month. Please do post and share, we appreciate your effort.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom