News: TSG 198 Announcement

Knowtalent

Emperor
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 198
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////
Welcome to the 198th game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.
Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Dont replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif, Hammer Rabbi or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.
Civ V BNW - TSG198 Details:
Player (You): Enrique of Venice
Victory Condition
: Science all other VCs are enabled, Difficulty: Prince
Civs/City-States (including player): 12/24
Map Type/Size: huge/archipelego
Game pace: Standard
Game Options
Start - Ancient
Enabled - Quick Combat, Quick Movement,
no ancient ruins 400 turn limit
(Regardless of starting options, you may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Game Requirements: Korea,Ancient Wonders,Babylon,Dlc_sp_maps,Gods And Kings,Brave New World.
Venice Unique Abilities:
Spoiler :
UA:Serenissima Can't acquire settlers or annex captured cities can create 2 times the number of trade routes. upon discovering Optics a Merchant of Venice appears. May purchase in puppeted cities
UU: Merchant of Venice replaces the Great Merchant Produces twice the trade mission gold, and influence. Faster movement when embarked. May buy a city-state that you are not at war with. All of its units and territory become yours.
UU:The Great Galleass A more powerful and costlier version (110 vs 100) of the standard Galleass extra strength (18 vs 16) and ranged attacks (20 vs 17)

This is where you will start:
198.jpg

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.
TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (dont be afraid to ask questions). Its also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please dont post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.
After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.
Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by earliest date and highest score ). We will issue a medal to the top winner (based on earliest date finished for each VC). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system
This game runs for a month and ends October 15th, 2020

Attachments

• TSG198_Start.Civ5Save
    666.2 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Thanks, will try it out. Just to double-check, the ui mod is ok according to gotm rules, right?

I also have no experience with huge maps, anyone know if I can expect to get any wonders with this many AIs in the game? Colossus would be nice, but I don't think I will try for it with this start.

Some good growth tiles nearby, but I don't see any sea resources, I guess since it's archipelago I may as well waste a few turns to make sure I settle the best spot available.

Thanks, will try it out. Just to double-check, the ui mod is ok according to gotm rules, right?
Yes, the UI mod is allowed for Civ5 GotM.

Hmm, Venice archipelago. I've never won with Venice before but I should be able to on Prince - although never count your chickens...

I don't see any reason to not settle in place. Nice food and nice production once those jungles are gone. I'm going to try taking over lots of CS. Last time I played Venice I didn't do that enough.

I'll give it a shot too.....have won easier difficulty with Venice. We shall see if can win on Prince.

Moderator Action: Moved the edit to the spoiler thread because once you open a game save, you are not allowed to post in the Announcement thread because it introduces spoilers for other players. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an interesting perspective @billybgame! It has never bothered me – and maybe it should have – that the player is not competitive for most of the early Wonders. The early game has always been interesting enough to me without them. For this game, I am going to try for Stonehenge and Great Lighthouse.

Interesting start. Since it's archipelago there's not likely any better spots to settle so I'll just settle in place. Calendar early is a must because of the plantation resources but I'll need bronze working to chop the jungles first. I'll probably go for the Colossus since it's a small stretch from bronze to iron working. Early exploration is almost an afterthought since I can't settle or find ruins, so it's only about finding camps to destroy and early trade partners and city-states.

Just saw this. I've never done a GOTM before and I'm going to give it a try! I actually love Venice. Settlers and cities are the fundamental component of C5 and not getting any is pretty radical. The gameplay is so very different from every other civ it forces you to take a different approach (sometimes very different). It can be a welcome change from the same old (sometimes stale) gameplay. I rarely win playing Venice but I play at much higher difficulties, I think it's very doable on Prince I've read the rules and set my autosave to 1 turn, no reloading (except for crashes) and no peeking at the After Action thread!

Question: I just download the save and fire up Civ 5 (no mods) and load the save? That's it? Also of course, no replaying turns - that will be the hard part for me! I will add my thought on the game before I download the save. I want to think about it for a bit first

Spoiler My Plan :

"No plan survives contact with the enemy" - Moltke the Elder

Note: I have not opened the save file yet.

The start: It looks good, a nice balance of growth and production. The settler tile looks like a hill so that's huge. Since this is a Science Victory, I think I will not chop most of the Jungle, saving it for University science yields. Except for the two Cocoa (and any other resources).

No goodied huts! So I will not be starting with a Scout. That's also huge and opens up some possibilities ...

There are two paths depending on neighbors. If an aggressive civ (Aztecs anyone) shares my island, I'll need to get my military going pretty quick. So Archery, and BW, pretty much right away and Construction pretty soon (for Composite Bowmen) Two or three Spearmen and an Archer or two should do it to start. If I have a close neighbor, early conquest might be an option. Maybe.

I believe on Prince the AI does not get any techs for free so if I can play a peaceful game, a religion and the Great Library are both doable. Assuming I don't have nasty neighbors, I will go for it.

Techs:
So Pottery-Writing and after that Trapping to improve the Deer, BW and Calendar to get Plantations on the Cocoa. If the sugar is on a Marsh, Masonry to clear it. Then Currency ( for the Market) then on to Education/Compass using Oxford University to get Astronomy to start on Rationalism. Quite a long road. I'll need to rely on my navy for defense until the Renaissance Era. A bit of a stretch, we'll see how it goes.

Religion
Usually I don't go for a Religion. Since I'm saving the jungle my pantheion will be Sacred Path. Founder Belief: Interfaith Dialogue. I've never played with that one, It won't do much early on but in the late game, I'm hoping it will be worth it. I've never seen the AI select it so it should be available. (Tithe is the goto for almost all religions but gold is not an issue for Venice.) Follower: Pagodas. My usual goto building. After that, we'll see what's available

Policies and Culture
Liberty is a must with Venice, two MoVs can't be beat. Since this is a science victory, Rationalism is also a must. But what else? Usually I go Patronage for the Forbidden Palace and Philanthropy (since Venice needs all the friends it can get). Then Commerce for Entrepreneurship and faith buy MoVs.

I think Patronage is still a must. So, I will give up Commerce. Which means I'm thinking I'll want the "To the Glory of God'' reformation belief. So, Piety. Can't have everything so it's a tough call. I may just leave Piety and Patronage unfinished before starting an Ideology. We'll see.

As for culture in general, If I can get the GL, I might build Parthenon. The extra culture early on is so nice. Sacred Path will help a lot with culture too. As for other wonders, if the Great Lighthouse is still available when I get to Optics, I might go for it. Oracle would be nice too but fat chance with that one. I will be ignoring Colossus.

Ideology will be Freedom, getting to Space Procurement ASAP. Almost a no-brainer. Order with Spaceflight Pioneers and Glory to God works too! I will do my best to get the first Ideology for those sweet, sweet, early adopter tenets. Should be doable.

If I can manage a peaceful science game it should all snowball pretty quickly. If you're trying this GOTM, good luck.

Question: I just download the save and fire up Civ 5 (no mods) and load the save? That's it? Also of course, no replaying turns - that will be the hard part for me! I will add my thought on the game before I download the save. I want to think about it for a bit first
Yes, that should do it.

Best of luck and hope you enjoy the game. :)

Top Bottom