News: TSG144 Announcement!

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 144
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the 144th game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Don’t replay any turns! If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif, Knowtalent or me know (via Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ V BNW - TSG144 Details:
Player (You): - Haile Selassie - Ethiopia
Victory Condition: Diplomacy but all other VCs are enabled.
Difficulty: Immortal
Civs/City-States (including player): 6/12
Map Type/Size: Small/Archipelago
Game pace: Standard

Game options:
Start - Ancient Era
Enabled - One City Challenge, Quick Combat, Quick Movement

(Regardless of starting options, you may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Game Requirements: Wonders of the Ancient World DLC, Gods and Kings expansion, Brave New World Expansion.

Ethiopian Unique Attributes:

Spoiler :
UA: Spirit of Adwa - Combat bonus (+20%) when fighting units from a Civilization with more Cities than Ethiopia.

UB: Stele - This Ethiopian Unique building replaces the Monument and provides an additional +2 faith.

UU: Mehal Sefari - This Ethiopian Unique unit replaces the Rifleman and has the Drill I promotion plus a combat bonus when fighting near the capital.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG -- Must Read if you are new to our Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.

TSG Announcement thread (this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Once you have opened the save, DO NOT POST in the Announcement thread, even non game-related information. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread: This thread is used to discuss the game's opening decisions and strategies through the first 100 or so turns. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. We encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshot. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). We will issue medals to the top 3 winners (based on earliest date finished). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts.

File Upload System
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends November 1st, 2016.

The save will be available for download on October 1st, 2016, midnight Central Standard time (UTC -6:00) in the US.

The Save can be found here.

That hill looks like it's coastal, would it be worth losing 2 turns to move there? I think so...

I'm really tempted to play this one out. I've kind of checked out waiting for civ 6 release. I know I'm probably the only one who'll say this but I'm sad to see diploV get removed. Sure, it's a bit gimmicky, but at the end of the day every single victory condition boils down to beelining some key techs fastest. And world congress was pretty cool imo.

For those who aren't aware, you can get world leader vote in atomic era if you remove half the civs from the game. So eliminate three civs, and you can get world leader vote early (you'd normally wait until information era otherwise). In my experience peaceful vs warmongering method on standard really isn't terribly different (on higher difficulties). But given the map is smaller, fastest times will definitely be war-assisted to get that early vote. Also, OCC means that all captured cities automatically get destroyed meaning there's no warmongering penalties to science or anything for doing this either.

I plan on settling in place, but will move my warrior SE and then onto the hill first to see as much ground as possible. I like the idea of warmongering OCC as Ethiopia.

Tradition, obviously, but I wonder if filler policies in Honor might be worth it? Opener to deal with barbs because razing AI capitals will leave a vacuum for them to flourish in, and Warrior Code because citadels is the only way to claim land beyond 5 (or is it 6?) tiles.

I'm really tempted to play this one out. I've kind of checked out waiting for civ 6 release. I know I'm probably the only one who'll say this but I'm sad to see diploV get removed. Sure, it's a bit gimmicky, but at the end of the day every single victory condition boils down to beelining some key techs fastest. And world congress was pretty cool imo.

Actually, I used to hate diploV but I'm kind of getting the hang of it, and liking it better and better. It's more complex than ScienceV because you have to watch out for the world congress timings, and less micro-management than a DomV. CultureV is my favorite though.

For those who aren't aware, you can get world leader vote in atomic era if you remove half the civs from the game. So eliminate three civs, and you can get world leader vote early (you'd normally wait until information era otherwise).

I'm normally a peacemonger so I've never tried this option... Just curious, do you always have to eliminate half of the civs, I thought you have to eliminate all but two? Of course, with 6 civs total, both are equivalent, but in general I believe you had to eliminate all but two rivals?

Actually, I used to hate diploV but I'm kind of getting the hang of it, and liking it better and better. It's more complex than ScienceV because you have to watch out for the world congress timings, and less micro-management than a DomV. CultureV is my favorite though.

I'm normally a peacemonger so I've never tried this option... Just curious, do you always have to eliminate half of the civs, I thought you have to eliminate all but two? Of course, with 6 civs total, both are equivalent, but in general I believe you had to eliminate all but two rivals?

Yeah, all but two rivals is right, so that half of all remaining civs means when you enter a new era so does congress. Didn't word it quite right my bad. It occurred to me after making my post most the people playing immortal probably know the little tricks of this game already lol. But who knows? Maybe one guy finds it helpful.

DiploV kind of grew on me after coming back to this game from a long break. It's actually my favorite win condition right now. Just because I find it pretty laid back. Biggest concern is hitting printing press in a timely manner. World Congress timings after PP are pretty easy to manage just by popping a few natural GS as needed throughout the game.

I played a practice game with the same settings but not as nice a starting location. Tradition, Patronage(3), Rationalism(3), Freedom(6), then finished Patronage, then Rationalism. Or something like that, I might not remember the order exactly right. Perhaps I should have finished Rationalism before Patronage to start buying scientists sooner.

I normally play at Emperor level, and Immortal is a stretch. Won in 380-something turns. :rolleyes: Monty was my closest neighbor; every 20 turns or so he would declare war and try a naval attack. The fourth or fifth time I finally pushed back and razed his capital and 2 other cities. Twenty turns later and he was back again for another beating.

Killing all but 2 of the AI's to trigger the vote in the Atomic era sounds good, but the way they spam units at Immortal I don't think I can pull that off.

Played 1 practice game and won in 307 via peaceful method. A few mistakes (missed PT and LToP, forgot about Hermitage so delayed some rationalism policies) so room for improvement.
One issue with it being a small map over a standard is that with fewer CS's you now need to reach Globalization for the diplomat extra votes if you miss out on any of the bonus votes or if any CS's get captured. (Don't be surprised to see GK, Venice or Austria in this, or all 3). I had GK in my practice game and he took 1 CS.
If war path is the option then science could be a bottleneck with limited abilities for RA's and a lesser ability to produce scientists due to only having one city. There were times in the game where I would expect to be generating a lot more science if I had ability for more cities.

Yeah, on Small you need 36 votes by default. Without AI votes or Globalization you need at least two WC proposals to pass first: you can get 6 from membership+host, 24 from CSs, 2 Forbidden Palace, 4 World Religion and World Ideology. You could potentially get an AI to vote for you to win after just one WC vote, but OCC makes this more difficult. In a normal game you could liberate an AI just before the WL vote, OCC means no liberation is possible.

You can buy AI votes, however. If I remember correctly, the formula they check is [your delegates]+[their delegates]+4, and if that's lower than the WL requirement, they'll consider voting for you. So in theory you could win this after one WC vote-cycle, but I think it'd be really hard to get enough science to reach Atomic in time.

On a small map there's less competition for wonders, so fast GL might be an option here. It's a bit risky because the start appears to have low production, but even if you miss the wonder, it shouldn't set you back too much. You can't expand anyway...

Just wanted to say, a forum upgrade on the 1st of the month is kinda cruel :confused: and now I'm off to download the save!

vadalaz said:
Yeah, on Small you need 36 votes by default. Without AI votes or Globalization you need at least two WC proposals to pass first: you can get 6 from membership+host, 24 from CSs, 2 Forbidden Palace, 4 World Religion and World Ideology. You could potentially get an AI to vote for you to win after just one WC vote, but OCC makes this more difficult. In a normal game you could liberate an AI just before the WL vote, OCC means no liberation is possible.

You can buy AI votes, however. If I remember correctly, the formula they check is [your delegates]+[their delegates]+4, and if that's lower than the WL requirement, they'll consider voting for you. So in theory you could win this after one WC vote-cycle, but I think it'd be really hard to get enough science to reach Atomic in time.

I wondered about that. In my practice game, I had Forbidden Palace and all the CS alliances and world ideology (everyone hated me for that one) and that still would not have been enough votes to win in the first round w/o Globalization and a couple of diplomats. One CS had been captured by Monty, and of course I couldn't liberate it because OCC. I settled a peace deal in one of our little wars even though I had the upper hand just to keep him from capturing another CS that was in the red and I couldn't get to to defend.

One interesting thing I learned about OCC is you can totally ignore tourism. I never did get around to building a coliseum because I didn't need it, even with ideology civil resistance.

Top Bottom