News: TSG212 Announcement

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 212
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ //////////////////////////////////////
Welcome to the 212th game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series allows new and old GOTM fans to try out these features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

Must Read!
We would like to ask you to abide by our most sacred rule: Do not replay any turns!
If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to 1 turn. In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous save and play it as closely to how you played it the first time. Please let Leif or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

Civ V BNW - TSG212 Details:
Player (You): Isabella - Spain
Victory Condition
:
Culture (but all other VCs are enabled)
Difficulty: King
Map Type/Size: Inland Sea / Tiny (4 Civs, 8 City-States)
Game pace: Epic
Game options: None
Start - Ancient Era
Enabled - Quick Combat, Quick Movement

(Regardless of starting options, you may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.
Game Requirements: Gods and Kings expansion, Brave New World Expansion, Mongolia DLC.
Spain's Unique Abilities:
Spoiler :
UA: Seven Cities of Gold: Gold bonus for discovering a Natural Wonder (bonus enhanced if first to discover it). Culture, happiness, and tile yields from Natural Wonders doubled.

UU: Tercio (Musketman): 100% combat bonus vs mounted units.

UU: Conquistador (Knight): No penalty vs cities; +2 extra sight range; double defense when embarked; can settle cities on other continents.

Here is where you will start:
TSG_212.jpg

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG - Must Read if you are new to the Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.
TSG Announcement thread
(this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don't be afraid to ask questions). Its also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don't post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.
After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.
Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by earliest date and highest score ). We will issue a medal to the top winner (based on earliest date finished for each VC). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts

File Upload System
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.
This game runs through 31 July 2022.

Attachments

• TSG212_Start.Civ5Save
    413.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I don't think I've ever played a tiny map before. Should be interesting. That's definitely a SiP start; unless moving the warrior reveals a fantastic NW, but even then not sure I could move away from hill, river, mountain next to deer and flood plains.

Raid, I don’t think that observatories are going to be relevant in this game. Almost any NW revealed would be worth moving, imo, to get faith rolling early.

Epic speed does nerf Spain a little because the 500g from the NW doesn’t immediately translate to a Settler. Settlers cost 680g on Epic.

Good luck to all.

When I try to open the save, it says “Required DLC is not available.” Is there more required than just the 3 mentioned above?

When I try to open the save, it says “Required DLC is not available.” Is there more required than just the 3 mentioned above?
I think I saw that message too, in the background, but then it loaded the game anyways. Go figure...

Well... this is new territory for me. I always play HOF-rules, so I use all available DLC, but no mods. When I saved the game, it told me what DLC was required, but it listed everything I had loaded. I thought, "well, that's stoopid, it doesn't need, for example, Korea!" So I listed only what I thought the minimum would be, figuring somebody out there might not have Korea (or whatever else).

Spain (and Inca) was a stand-alone DLC, but I've read that it is included in the G&K expansion. So I didn't put Spain on the list. Try adding Spain/Inca, see if that allows loading it.

(I would guess sebtanic's successful load was because Spain IS in G&K. And I wonder if you might actually be able to load, too, by just ignoring the message. )

No, the ‘Load Game’ button is greyed out. I will delete it and download it again to see if that changes something.

Are there any players here who don't have all DLC and expansions?

iirc in civ 6, there's an option to save the game seed or map, so that you could hypothetically create an identical game without unnecessary DLC. For example, I could have accidentally made a game with the "Ethiopia Pack" DLC but not actually use any content from that DLC - then I'd be able to undo my mistake easily by copy-pasting the seed with the right setup conditions and not the Ethiopia DLC.

Yes - I don't have Explorers Map Pack, Scrambled Continents Map Pack or Scrambled Nations Map Pack, all three of which seem to be needed for this savefile.
This is what I meant about it "requiring" everything I happened to have loaded when I saved the game. This game should not require Korea, but (I believe ONLY because I had it loaded) it apparently does.

MP d' Fraud - could you generally load saves in the past? (Meaning, earlier games were created without EMP, SCMP, and SNMP?)

@aafritz17 I think when you set up a shared game, you need to go into the DLC menu first and uncheck everything that you own that you don't want to be required. (I'm not certain about the map packs when it's a map you're not using.) Everything that could have been in the game will be required, even if it's not used. HTH

@aafritz17 I think when you set up a shared game, you need to go into the DLC menu first and uncheck everything that you own that you don't want to be required. (I'm not certain about the map packs when it's a map you're not using.) Everything that could have been in the game will be required, even if it's not used. HTH
This is exactly what I was thinking I was going to need to do. Excellent, thanks for the confirmation.

And, yeah, I was trying to figure out which map came with which expansion or DLC. :run:

Last edited:
This is what I meant about it "requiring" everything I happened to have loaded when I saved the game. This game should not require Korea, but (I believe ONLY because I had it loaded) it apparently does.

MP d' Fraud - could you generally load saves in the past? (Meaning, earlier games were created without EMP, SCMP, and SNMP?)
Yes. Back in 2021 there was a Maya - Lakes - Prince Difficulty - Small Map game that was part of GOTM, and I played it with no difficulty

I believe I can extend the deadline for this game, that is, once the site is back up. I plan to extend it to next weekend, so Friday night 2359 hours.

I believe I can extend the deadline for this game, that is, once the site is back up. I plan to extend it to next weekend, so Friday night 2359 hours.

K cool....just noticing and I might give it shot.

Am partway through this and have a question...is that ok to ask here? Not really giving too much away.....but am quite bewildered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom