[BNW] News: TSG213 Announcement

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 213
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ //////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the 213th game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series allows new and old Civilization V fans to try out many features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

MUST READ!
Our most sacred rule: Do not replay any turns!
If you make a mistake, accept it, and try to recover through game-play. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to "1 turn". In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous autosave, then play on the same way you played it the first time. Please let Leif or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

TSG213 Details:
Game Settings:
Player (You): Harun al-Rashid - Arabia
Victory Condition: Domination
(but all other VCs are enabled)
Difficulty: Emperor
Map Type/Size: Inland Sea / Standard
(8 Civs, 16 City-States)
Pace: Standard
Your Unique Characteristics:
UA: Ships of the Desert:
(1) Caravans gain 50% extended range (2) Trade routes spread religion twice as effectively (3) Oil resources doubled.
UU: Camel Archer (Knight): Ranged unit (unlike the Knight). Can move after attacking.
UB: Bazaar (Market): (1) One extra copy of each improved luxury resource near this city (2) Each source of oil and each oasis provides +2 gold (3) Trade routes from others to this city gain +1 gold for both you and the sender.
Required DLC: (1) Wonders of the Ancient World (2) Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon
Starting Era: Ancient
Required game options: None
Enabled game options: Quick Combat, Quick Movement
(You may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.

Here is where you will start:

TSG_213.jpg

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG - Must Read if you are new to the Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.
TSG Announcement thread
(this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don't be afraid to ask questions). Its also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don't post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.
After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.
Results and Congratulations thread: We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by earliest date and highest score ). We will issue a medal to the top winner (based on earliest date finished for each VC). There are no long-term records kept for these results, they are just given out to top finishers to reward their efforts

File Upload System
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.
This game runs through 15 September 2022.

Attachments

• TSG213_Start.Civ5Save
    441.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
aa, did I miss the file somewhere?
No, I don't have the start file uploaded yet, waiting on a couple of instructions (as I'm not yet familiar with some of the GOTM processing). Hoping to have it today, so stay tuned.

Also, when I put TSG_213 together, I did not notice that I was repeating with an Inland Sea map. I have a routine in the Hall-of-Fame that helps me keep track, but I haven't had a chance to set it up for the GOTM yet. So, sorry for the repetition, I'll try to do better next time!

No, I don't have the start file uploaded yet, waiting on a couple of instructions (as I'm not yet familiar with some of the GOTM processing). Hoping to have it today, so stay tuned.

Also, when I put TSG_213 together, I did not notice that I was repeating with an Inland Sea map. I have a routine in the Hall-of-Fame that helps me keep track, but I haven't had a chance to set it up for the GOTM yet. So, sorry for the repetition, I'll try to do better next time!
(Although I DO love Inland Sea and Desert Folklore. Just sayin'...)

Nice! Since the Save Game isn't up yet, I'll try to get a practice game in...

Nice! Since the Save Game isn't up yet, I'll try to get a practice game in...
Yeah, still having trouble uploading it. We haven't figured out (yet) if I'm doing something wrong, or if something in the changeover didn't go quite correctly.

I really want to settle on that Sugar. But Petra will be possible on Emperor so moving away from those hills is not ideal. It might even be worth moving NW if there's more hills up there. Of course if there's hills to the east it would be worth settling on the Sugar too. I might take a couple of turns to explore a bit.

I really want to settle on that Sugar. But Petra will be possible on Emperor so moving away from those hills is not ideal. It might even be worth moving NW if there's more hills up there. Of course if there's hills to the east it would be worth settling on the Sugar too. I might take a couple of turns to explore a bit.
The silver looks like a good spot to settle, too. It has fresh water from the lake, and all those desert hills are still in range

So we move the warrior a bit to explore before choosing a spot to settle. Do you move it 2 tiles up the river? or one tile NW to see over the hills? or do you go in a different direction?

FYI, there is still some wrinkle giving them grief. Waitin' for the fix...

FYI, there is still some wrinkle giving them grief. Waitin' for the fix...
OK, the system is still not quite working, but they have told me that I am able to upload the file here (I have put it in the opening post), and you all can GET GOING. You won't be able to upload (more or less obviously), but we don't need that for a few weeks, anyway.

So we move the warrior a bit to explore before choosing a spot to settle. Do you move it 2 tiles up the river? or one tile NW to see over the hills? or do you go in a different direction?
Been debating this. I think I'm going to move both the warrior and the settler. The warrior NE to the hill (if there is no river north of it so that my second move can be N then W.). Otherwise I'll move him up the river to the flood plain then W to the hill to see what's on the other side (this might be the better move anyway).

For the settler I may move him across the river to the Sugar to see what's over there. Then can move him back or back and up one if nothing is there for a T2 settle. Of course I could move the settler to the hill NE and then move the warrior NW twice to see what's over there. Although as @zxcvbob said, the Silver is a good settle, especially with Petra. But I so love settling on calendar resources. What to do?

P.S. @aafritz17 Maybe you should post the screenshot a couple days before the file all the time so we could discuss the first moves like this.

I’ll move the Warr 2 east. Depending on what I see, I’ll prob settle the SE Sugar or the Grass Hill. Only prob is the hammers. That Silver settle seems enticing, but the lack of growth tiles scares me.

Domination is my weakest game; I'm good enough at one or two wars, but run out of steam or get bored before finishing. So I'm playing a practice round with the same settings. Not sure what to do when Babylon has the Great Wall and hills. (I have one camel with the Range promotion, and he can safely hit the cities but won't do enough damage. Other camels have Logistics and will get Range eventually) I should probably turn around and go the other direction and capture a few more civs that *dont* have the GW, save Babylon for last, or at least until I have artillery or battleships. Everyone hates me already anyway, especially my friends :lol:

P.S. @aafritz17 Maybe you should post the screenshot a couple days before the file all the time so we could discuss the first moves like this.
Yeah, I hope to do that. I used to play GOTM 3 or 4 years ago, seems like it was that way back then.

Domination is my weakest game; I'm good enough at one or two wars, but run out of steam or get bored before finishing. So I'm playing a practice round with the same settings.
Same here :)

Camels are awesome! What Wonders (if any) are you going for while teching toward Chivalry? I lost both the Great Library and Petra to someone else, due to low hammers in the capital. It looks like we will have limited hammers in the GOTM too...

... I lost both the Great Library and Petra to someone else, due to low hammers in the capital...
You must mean in one of your practice games (not in actual GOTM save), right?

Camels are awesome! What Wonders (if any) are you going for while teching toward Chivalry? I lost both the Great Library and Petra to someone else, due to low hammers in the capital. It looks like we will have limited hammers in the GOTM too...
Hanging Gardens, Oracle, Sistine Chapel (the Chapel is not really on the way to Chivalry but I went for it immediately after Chivalry). Petra would have been a priority except I didn't have that much desert in my practice game. I got HG and SC, don't remember about Oracle but I don't think so.

Top Bottom