News: TSG58 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 58
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the fifty-eighth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 Gods & Kings to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Culture. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Culture victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time.

In this game you will play as Maria Theresa and lead The Austrian Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized mystery map played at Emperor difficulty and at standard pace. Culture victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. Please note the game options below. You will have until May 1st to complete the game and submit.

Welcome back to our Mac players. Hope you will not be patched out again soon. :wavey:

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. In addition, once you receive your two free techs from Rationalism, and should you switch to Piety, you may not switch back to Rationalism to gain an additional two free techs. :nono:

Civ V G&K - TSG58 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Maria Theresa - Austria
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 20
Map type: Mystery
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Emperor
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Promotion Saving and Policy Saving are enabled. Ancient Ruins are turned off. Quick Combat is disabled (You may now turn it on using the game options menu.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Gods & Kings version 1.0.2.44. There is no dlc in this game.

In this game, you will be playing as Maria Theresa, you possess Diplomatic Marriage. You can spend Gold to annex or puppet a City-State that has been you ally for 5 turns.

You can train the Hussar, which replaces Cavalry. The Hussar are great scouts and flank attackers. They are slightly faster than Cavalry and start with promotions that give them +1 hex sight and increases their bonus when making a Flank Attack by 50%. You need to discover the technology of Military Science and you need the Horse resource to build it.

You can also build the Coffee House, which replaces the Windmill. The Coffee House is a Renaissance-era building that increases city's production and increases the speed at which Great People are generated by 25%. You need to discover the Economics technology but you do not need a resource to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please do not use this thread once you have opened the game save. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Action thread. This thread is used to discuss the first 100 or so turns in your game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots and videos.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for a month and ends Wednesday, 1 May 2013.

The Save can be found here.

Looks like setting in place is fine (hill, river, double wheat). I'll probably just start on Pottery and try and get my granary out as soon as possible.
Usually I'd go Piety for cultural victories, but not sure whether I should opt for Rationalism instead to keep up with the techs...

I might cross the river to get the mt. in my second ring.

I will look for a chance to pull a Yoinks! achievement, marry a cs with 15 units. I might try a liberty tradition opener for culture. Last time I did and racked up lots of culture that way.

I would want to walk the warrior 2E first before I decided to move or not.

Can you still build the UB if you are on a hill?

Pretty excited for this as it will be my first proper attempt at a GoTM!

I'd say settling in place would be fine. Two lux and two wheat will be great early growth. I will probably go and grab both the Tradition and Liberty openers, just to get early cpt but as of now I'm unsure whether tall or wide(r) would be best :confused:

We'll soon find out, best of luck!

Pretty excited for this as it will be my first proper attempt at a GoTM!
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Best of luck and hope you enjoy the game. :yup:

Can you still build the UB if you are on a hill?

Yes, you can build the coffee house even if you settle on a hill, unlike the windmill it replaces. I know this for certain because I've done it.

I think moving up on to the NE (across the river) is ideal. Gets you within two tiles of a mountain for some wonders. Just curious how many wonders will I miss to the AI on Emperor.

I cant start this until after work. E-NE looks like a good move. There could be desert to the right which would allow Petra and you cant pass up on that for a fast finish if its open to the others. Even though settle in place looks good, I think you are compelled to move.

A couple of fast scouts might give a pantheon because of the extra CS.

Looking forward to this one. Never played with Maria Theresa before. I look forward to seeing how some of the upper echelon players make use of the ability to puppet allies, as far as how many they puppet, how many they annex, etc.

First attempt at GOTM, going for first win on Emperor. We will see how this goes!

First attempt at GOTM, going for first win on Emperor. We will see how this goes!
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :)

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Policy Saving should be very interesting, haven't done one of those in quite a while!

And yeah, those hills to the east look like desert, gonna move my warrior east and if those are deserted (hahah, get it? "desert"ed?), I'll settle over there. Petra ftw.

I will definitely move if there is desert nearby, plus that start looks to be very light on production which is pretty damn important for culture. E, E with the warrior, perhaps E, SE and settle on the ivory if those are desert hills or at least next to some.

I forget, what was the strategy that originally led the game away from policy saving? I remember not liking it but feeling like I had to do it to be competitive. Saving culture at what point and until when? Is there an old GOTM thread that lays this out? I'm not sure how I want to approach this, but I would like to be aware of the old standard way of approaching this before i decide.

Top Bottom