News: TSG82 Announcement

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 82
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the Eighty-second game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of features in Civilization 5 Brave New World to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

Please note:
1) If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.
2) As of TSG82 we are banning the intentional use of the Beaker Overflow exploit. Submissions using this will be excluded from results.

In this game, the designated VC is Science. All VCs are enabled but results will be published by fastest Science victory turn.

In this game you will play as America and lead the American Empire to victory. It's a standard-sized map played at Prince difficulty and at standard pace. Science is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until April 15th to complete the game and submit.

Civ V BNW - TSG82 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: - Washington - America
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Pangea
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Prince
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Raging Barbarians are enabled. Quick Combat is enabled. (You may turn it off using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.144. NO DLC are required for this game but the Gods and Kings expansion is required.

In this game, you will be playing as America, you possess Manifest Destiny. All land military units have +1 sight. Your cities receive a 50% discount when purchasing tiles.

You can train Minutemen, a powerful melee unit that replaces the Musket. Only America may build it. This Unit may move through rough ground as though it were flat, receives a bonus when fighting in rough terrain, and earns points toward a Golden Age when it defeats an enemy.

You can also build the B17, a Unique air unit that replaces the bomber. This Unit has a chance of evading interception, and does additional damage to Cities compared to the Bomber, which it replaces.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Opening Actions thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. During the time the game is active, please do not post any information concerning the game outside of the spoiler threads including screen shots, videos, or recorded/live-cast Let's Plays on other websites.

After Actions thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the one month submission period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note, you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.

This game runs for a month and ends Tuesday, 15 April 2014.

The Save can be found here.

I didn't think I could do better than settling in place.

Moderator Action: Removed any reference to what you actually did because that is a spoiler. Once you open the save, please do not post in the announcement thread.

I think I will chance the desert hill two squares to the north-west, I`ll lose the river, but hopefully gain more food and Petra :p

You don't have to settle on desert to build Petra, next to the desert tile is enough. With only 2 visible desert tiles settle on one of them makes Petra fairly worthless. Settling on that grassland with the wine, lake, wheat and marble all in the first ring would qualify for Petra, keep both wheat tiles workable by the capital and still allow building the garden at the cost of the observatory.

Alternately settling on the plains 1 tile NE of the start is still next to a mountain for the observatory and next to a desert hill for Petra, but means needing the Hanging Gardens if you want a garden to boost GS production.

It is a copy and paste error. If you look under game settings, it says Pangaea, just as it was announced.

We used to do mystery maps all the time, until a bug got into the software that showed the map type when you mouse over the question mark on the game description page when loading a game. That killed mystery maps, but the legacy continues... :mischief:

and hopefully it won't be in my future copy-pastes.

HR

It's what I always say when I fail in copy/paste. And I frequently fail. :D

For the bug, I don't know how you make the map (random or editor), maybe I think Shuffle may help you. It still show Shuffle and you don't know if it's pangea, continents or islands until you explore the map.

Settling on place seems perfect to me, I can ahrdly see any neearby location beating river+mountain+marble+other resources.

Helloooo

I've been away from the forums for a while. The combination of G&K and BNW has helped encourage me to play more Civ V.

I consistently play Emperor level but would still like to participate in this GOTM.

The only time I tried America I got tired of the patriotic music :crazyeye:

Anyway, I don't see any reason not to settle in place.

Looking forward to seeing some old faces and new ones. Thanks for all you guys and gals do.

WELL (didn't have the heart to try out the last GotM... I hate killing people and see the poor world sink into a dark age in general) I'll play this one just for fun though although I wish they'd have more immortal-deity level GoTMs... On prince you're like 4 eras ahead of the AI.

btw if that coastline is long enough for 3-4 cities, the food ships to your coastal capitol will be worth much more than HG, but its tundra so I'm afraid of the coast being blocked by ice. It's prince so I know I can afford to settle on t20 if I must... just gotta avoid barbs and try to find that mountain grassland river if it exists... I think I'll take my chances and move north.

btw overflow exploit on prince is hardly going to be an issue :lol: you are very unlikely to fall behind in tech.

Hey everyone, first GOTM attempt and first message. I hope it will bring me luck. :)

Hey everyone, first GOTM attempt and first message. I hope it will bring me luck. :)
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Hope it does bring you luck! :thumbsup:

That's a good starting location.
So how does GOTM work? Do we take screenshots throughout the game and finally share after the deadline?

GOTM is more about learning from one another than about competition.

In your write up, if you can include tech path, social policies selection and timing, decisions to go to war and who you select and why, and city placement and worker actions to support your goals. Screeshots are nice to assist in showing how your game went together.

Please feel free to look around at past games to get an idea of what players include in their write ups. A hint, you should decide what you want to keep track of before you start playing as many people get lost in the game and forget what they did later. :)

Coast south, ill send the warrior to the forest south or east to see what is down there before deciding, but settling in place seems best, with mountain for observatory. I might waste a couple of turns exploring with settler, i want to see what that coast looks like before settling.

Raging barbarians, might get some early archers and level them up nicely. Do some warring to prevent falling asleep on prince. :p

Top Bottom