News: TSG9 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 – Game of the Month Training Series Game 9
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the ninth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It’s better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Diplomatic. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Diplomatic victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time. Good Luck!

In this game you will play as Gandhi and lead the Indian civilization to a magnificent victory. It’s a standard sized fractal map played at Emperor difficulty and at standard pace. Diplomatic victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled.

A note for Mac players. Your version of Civ5 is not yet compatible with the Windows version. Results from the two version would not be comparable given the extensive game play changes. We hope your next, next patch comes out soon. :rolleyes:

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time (has this been fixed yet?). :nono:

Civ V - TSG9 game settings
Playable Civ: Gandhi - India
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Fractal
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Emperor
Temperature: Temperate
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat is disabled (You can enable it by following instructions in this link.) Promotion saving, Policy saving and No City Razing are enabled.

Playing as Gandhi, you possess Population Growth. Unhappiness from number of Cities is doubled while unhappiness from number of Citizens is halved. You can train War Elephants, which replaces the Chariot Archer. The unit is a fast ranged unit that is highly effective on flat ground. It has a higher Combat Strength than the Chariot Archer which it replaces. You can also build Mughal Fort which is a Medieval-era building that replaces the Castle. It improves a city's defensive strength and provides some culture every turn. It also provides a gold bonus once Flight is learned. Walls are a prerequisite for building the Mughal Fort.

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for two weeks and ends Monday 4 April 2011.

The Save can be found here.

Looking at the screenshot, I'll most likely settle where the warrior currently is. It'll pick up some more river hexes, and it looks to have at least one hill. I'll probably move the warrior to the east to confirm.

As for Diplo victories, it's pretty much just a straight tech race to Globalization. Focus on settling new cities near resources and scouting out all the other civs. Fractal is very random, so we could be on an island by ourselves, or part of one big supercontinent.

Personally, I plan on going one into Tradition, then Liberty for a settler, then hopefully I'll have Patronage unlocked. Depending on whether I have any horse (or Greece/Persia nearby) I'll crank out some horsemen or swordsmen (I dislike the War Elephant) and keep the peace with them, and puppet any cities that get too close.

Not sure when I'll have time though, already focused on the first HoF Gauntlet. =)

Man, I wanted to get back into Civ5 and was gonna start up with the next GOTM. But yeesh, a Diplo Victory? Guess I'll have to wait until the next month.

Thx for the tips.

How many cities and puppets should make a good empire?

As many as you can get away with. India's UA makes you think that fewer is better, but in reality the break-even point for an Indian City is four pop. You want quality locations with Gandhi, spots that can support a lot of people. I'll probably shoot for 2-3 settled cities (including the capital), and 3-4 puppets. All depends on location; since No City Razing is in effect, you have to be very careful when you grab a city, otherwise you'll be stuck with it (unless you sell it off).

As for a Diplo victory, what's wrong with that? Doesn't mean you can't warmonger; War is just another form of Diplomacy. =)

Oh no, not complaining. My post came off kind of bad.

I'm just a noob and I really never messed with Diplomacy at all. I don't think playing a Diplo game is best for me to learn Civ5.

I disagree, it's an excellent game to start with. Diplo as a victory condition is quite easy. Play nice, build a decent empire, and push towards Globalization.

Culture would be the hardest to start learning on, I think.

For somebody starting with diplo, I would mention that winning a UN vote is all about getting city states (CS) to be allies with you. By the time the UN is built, you need nine CS to be your allies, that is how you win a diplo victory. The biggest difference btwn CiV and previous versions is the CS aspect. This is the perfect opportunity to learn what CS can do for you (besides vote for you in UN). I recommend going for cultural and maritime CS, and friendly CS over hostile ones. Also, if you ally a CS near someone else, it will piss them off so watch out.

So what do you do if the Greek decide to unlock the neighborhood bully achievement, and you are not even close to them to stop them?

A note for Mac players. Your version of Civ5 is not yet compatible with the Windows version. Results from the two version would not be comparable given the extensive game play changes. We hope your next, next patch comes out soon. :rolleyes:

Comparable nothing. I can't even load these games on Mac; they just crash. I can play the 1st 4 or 5 it looks like. I'm guessing the 2nd windows patch came out after that.

Thanks, but I retired when I saw I was going to be conquered, after 160 turns.

Need to improve in almost every aspect. There's just to many choices to do that can vary - Tech, buildings, units builded, social pol, diplomacy, worker improvments, city states....

I'll just take my time...

I know this game is old, but whenever I load the game, it doesn't seem to have the settings (aka policy saving)

If I have the culture, I must use it before I can end my turn?

:wavey: Welcome to CivFanatics and Civ5 GoTM.

With so many Civ5 patches, I am not sure which version this save was made with.
I just downloaded it from the server and tried it and I cannot save policies either. My guess is that something changed in the update that won't allow older saves to maintain their characteristics. :hmm:

:wavey: Welcome to CivFanatics and Civ5 GoTM.

With so many Civ5 patches, I am not sure which version this save was made with.
I just downloaded it from the server and tried it and I cannot save policies either. My guess is that something changed in the update that won't allow older saves to maintain their characteristics. :hmm:

Thanks for the response, glad it's not just me... guess I'll just play the game and have a bit of fun

Top Bottom