News: TSG_214 Announcement

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 214
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ //////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the 214th game in the GOTM V Training Series! This Series allows new and old Civilization V fans to try out many features from Civ5's expansions and DLCs in a friendly environment. Participants are encouraged to post questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads (described below). Each game will specify the Civ you will play and the Victory Condition to strive for. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread.

MUST READ!
Our most sacred rule: Do not replay any turns!
If you make a mistake, accept it, and try to recover through game-play. To ensure fair play and prevent results exclusions, please set your Autosaves to "1 turn". In the event of a computer crash while playing, just reload to the previous autosave, then play on the same way you played it the first time. Please let Leif or me know (either in the forums or through Private Message) if you experienced a crash and how many turns you replayed.

TSG214 Details:
Game Settings:
Player (You): Pocatello - Shoshone
Victory Condition: Culture
(but all other VCs are enabled)
Difficulty: Immortal
Map Type/Size: Four Corners / Standard
(8 Civs, 16 City-States)
Pace: Standard
Your Unique Characteristics:
UA: Great Expanse:
(1) Founded cities start with additional territory (2) Units receive a combat bonus when fighting in their own territory.
UU: Pathfinder (Scout): (1) "Native Tongue" ability - may choose benefit when discovering Ancient Ruin. (2) Strength 8 instead of 5. (Upgrades to Composite Bowman)
UU: Comanche Riders (Cavalry): (1) "Full Moon Striker" ability - one extra movement. (2) Cost 200 hammers instead of 225.
Required DLC: None
Starting Era: Ancient
Required game options: None
Enabled game options: Quick Combat, Quick Movement
(You may turn on/off Quick Combat/Quick Movement using the game options menu at any time during gameplay.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 Brave New World version 1.0.3.279.

Here is where you will start:
1662925446862.jpeg

The start file is attached below.

Information about threads associated with each individual TSG - Must Read if you are new to the Game of the Month!
Spoiler :
Please note: If you wish to make a video of your game, please do not post any links to it until after the game submission date has passed. This is because of the potential spoilers that are created by posting before the end date. Thank you for your cooperation.
TSG Announcement thread
(this one): This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don't be afraid to ask questions). Its also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don't post any game-related info once you open and play the save. Instead use the next thread.
After Actions thread: In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after one month, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.
Results and Congratulations: We will post the results at the end of the submission period in the After Actions thread (sorted by earliest date and highest score ).

File Upload System
We have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature) Please note: you must submit your game on the turn following Victory. If you continue to play, the game overwrites the data and your submission could be rejected by the submission system.
This game runs through 15 October 2022.

Attachments

• TSG214_Start.Civ5Save
    444 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
That doesn't look like the most inspiring start to me, still, we'll see how it goes... I guess settle on the bare hill is the obvious choice

Last edited:
Yeah, I’ll prob go E-SE with the PF, but the hill looks pretty good. There just has to be some food after the Shoshone Settler explosion.

Never played a Four Corners. Are the ‘corners’ separated by water or what?

Yeah, I’ll prob go E-SE with the PF, but the hill looks pretty good. There just has to be some food after the Shoshone Settler explosion.

Never played a Four Corners. Are the ‘corners’ separated by water or what?
IIRC, you can pick either ocean or mountains (or random). To me, mountains would be terribly limiting, so this one has oceans.

Doesn't look great but maybe those plain tiles are full of horses (or iron) And perhaps there's some bananas or gems to the south in the jungle that we can't see yet. I'll probably settle on the hill; the marble is still in range.

I started a practice game with the same settings and was reminded why I don't play at Immortal. In the Classical era, several neighbors declared war on me because they thought I was pathetic because I hadn't yet caught up to all the bonuses they start with. My cities had walls and I'd built plenty of military yet they still captured one of my 3 cities and almost took a second. When I recovered it, the population and all the buildings were gone including my free monument and aqueduct.

Ok…so, all the corners are connected by a land bridge or something?
Yes, there's a small section in the middle where they all meet. I don't know how many tiles wide it is. On a standard sized map, you'll typically share a quadrant with one AI, and they will covet your lands however small that may be. And depending how close to the center you start, you may have 3 other close neighbors but there will be a chokepoint for them to reach you.

Thanks bob

LOL…in my first practice, I have 3 PF Comps and The Wheel on t25 with a free pantheon. Easy mode. No way I get that good a start in the actual game.

Thanks bob

LOL…in my first practice, I have 3 PF Comps and The Wheel on t25 with a free pantheon. Easy mode. No way I get that good a start in the actual game.
In my practice game, I got a ruin right away and took culture. Upgrade to composite bow was going to be next, but I found about 3 other ruins just in time for Hiawatha to get there at the same time and grab them first. And that was all of them. (I'm assuming I really suck at this game, but at Emperor and below I can manage okay anyway)

What ruin are you going to pick first? Get the culture flowing? A population bump? Catch up on one of those techs the AI has?

I'm thinking CB upgrade first, culture second, population third. Then another CB hopefully. Kill the neighbor quickly and secure the entire corner to yourself.

I like it when vad is humble and pretending he won’t own 2 quadrants in the first 100 turns. He’s sandbagging us, luring us into a false sense of hope.

[
Is the save file missing?
FYI, I didn't upload it until this morning, the 15th, the first day to play it. I'm not confident I understand the administrative steps yet, at least not thoroughly, so I didn't rely on it automatically being there. I did it manually, this morning, before heading to my salt mine.

About the map - I rolled a bunch of 4-Corner maps, NONE of them had good food. So I finally went with this one, and it seems pretty representative of the other maps I saw. Horses were not as plentiful as I thought they ought to be, either. Pretty sure I picked "strategic balance" for the resource option, so the lack of horses surprised me.

[

FYI, I didn't upload it until this morning, the 15th, the first day to play it. I'm not confident I understand the administrative steps yet, at least not thoroughly, so I didn't rely on it automatically being there. I did it manually, this morning, before heading to my salt mine.

About the map - I rolled a bunch of 4-Corner maps, NONE of them had good food. So I finally went with this one, and it seems pretty representative of the other maps I saw. Horses were not as plentiful as I thought they ought to be, either. Pretty sure I picked "strategic balance" for the resource option, so the lack of horses surprised me.
I've been practicing on some 4-corners map with water dividers, and they've all been terrible in one way or another. I haven't finished one yet. Usually not enough strategic resources. It might just be their nature. It makes for a lot of wars. Don't know about this one yet. :)

That's a relief. I thought I was missing something obvious about this map. Knowing its not *meant* to be an awesome start helps. Strategic balance just gives you horses iron and oil at your (and everyone else's) start location. Whether or not you get the other resources like Aluminium is still random, and it only guarantees one horse/oil/iron tile near you.

I might take a few turns to walk around a bit. See if I can find another luxury. But its immortal so don't want to waste too much time. CB rush sounds good, but I can rarely pull it off so may not try it depending on the neighbor and land.

Top Bottom