News: WOTM 64 - Starts 27 December

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by neilmeister, Dec 25, 2014.

1. neilmeister

neilmeister Lentils have feelings too GOTM Staff

WOTM 64: Ragnar of Vikings.

You play as Santa... well, sort of. Ragnar of the vikings was well known for his Christmas visits, or raids, and for presents. Most of the presents were for himself, but that is just a minor detail!

Have fun in this Warlords Immortal game.... a hard ask always!

Game settings:
    Playing as: Ragnar of Vikings
    Rivals: 6 AIs
    Difficulty: Immortal
    Starting Era: Ancient
    Speed: Normal
    Options: None, All Goody Huts removed
    Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings:
    Map: Snaky Archipelago
    World Wrap: Cylindrical
    Mapsize: Standard
    Climate: Temperate
    Sea level: Medium

Ragnar is Financial and Aggressive, and you start with Fishing and Hunting.

The Financial trait gives +1 commerce on any plot that already has at least 2 commerce

The Aggressive trait gives free Combat I promotion for melee and gunpowder units and double production speed of Barracks and Drydock

Unique unit: Berserker (replaces Maceman)
    The Berserker benefits from: free promotions: amphibious, and 10% city attack bonus. This compares with the Maceman which has: 0% city attack bonus.

Unique Building: Trading Post (replaces Lighthouse)
    The Trading Post is a normal lighthouse except it also gives all boats built there an extra movement point. Very handy for coastal berserker raids!!

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 27 Dec 2014, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 11 Feb 2015.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Warlords (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Beyond the Sword), patched to version 2.13, and with the HOF mod version 2.13.003 installed. You can download the HOF mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

If you have not installed BtS, you will need to update the relevant DLL files in order to match the Locked Assets checks. These are available here.**

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Warlords (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Beyond the Sword), patched to version 2.13, and with the Mac HOF mod version 2.13.001 installed. You can download the Mac HOF mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

2. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Apologies to any Mac players. I am away from home, and didn't bring all the bits I need to make the Mac starting save. I'll build it as soon as possible when I get back on Jan 6.

3. Ronnie1

Ronnie1 Deity

So what you're saying is, there's a chance! Best Warlords leader for this map type imo. We all know the AI struggles when boats are involved. Great starting spot! Happy New Year! ;)

4. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

TGLH and the Colossus can make this game a bit easy.

SIP even thought I would like to find a better start :p.

Agri, AH, mining and sailing are first techs. Then BW, Myst and Mason before heading to Oracle techs. Too bad Mason prevent GP bulbing CS.

Worker first followed by boat.

5. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Why not mining first for the gold while building a workboat?

---------
    edit, mining won't be any use without a worker
    I seldom ever test starts, but this one is a good candidate.

6. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Pigs is the best tile present and can't be ignored. AG is unnecessary.

7. Minou

Minou King

Please do make a Mac save, at least one of us will use it! Looks like a great starting location...

8. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

It would have been nice to see a piece of settleable land SW + SW + W of the Settler, to share the Clam and Rice, but it looks like the square to the SW + SW + S of the Settler is a Plains square that can at least share the capital's Clam... unless I am mistaken and that's a Coast square?

To the east be Desert... let us hope that there be Riverside Flood Plains squares that way.

To the north I see a Peak... naturally occurring or a possible barrier placed by the map maker?

Worker or Work Boat first? I'm not sure. Let's see...
    Work Boat first: 5 turns x 3 H + 4 turns x 4 H + 1 turn of movement gets the Clam being worked for a 10-turn Worker arriving after 19 turns (1 overflow Hammer + 1 turn of not working the Clam while the Work Boat is moving + 9 turns of working the Clam = 1 + 5 + 9 * 6 = 60 H Worker). You will then start with some Food in the foodbank once your Worker gets completed and you'll have earn a bit more Commerce from working the unimproved Gold square while building the Work Boat for 4 turns.

Worker first: The Worker appears after 12 turns and the Pig takes 5 turns to improve, thus we would have less turns of working an improved square, but we would get 3 extra Worker turns (assuming that you count having a single square improved as being a defining criterion) and we'd get to Size 2 faster, but we wouldn't have our Clam netted for quite a while, so we wouldn't be growing as quickly to greater City sizes as we could with 2 improved Food squares

I'll have to think a bit more before deciding which approach sounds better.

9. Orel

Orel Chieftain

SW-SW-S looks like plain hill to me!

And apologize my poor knowledge but why is it so interesting to have cities sharing special tiles?

10. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

I think it's because it's not always possible for one city to use the very good tiles all the time. For example, if a city grows to its happiness cap, then there might not be any point it working high food tiles - they'll just make the city grow into unhappiness. Better for it to work commerce and production tiles. That means that those food tiles will be wasted for a while unless another city shares the tiles and can use them.

11. Dhoomstriker

Also, with a Financial Civ, working non-riverside Grassland Cottages in the capital will be decent if those Cottages can be matured, but the capital will probably be busy working the Pig, Gold, the Clam, and some Hills squares, and then probably riverside Grassland squares before it works its non-riverside Grassland squares.

So, it will be nice to have a couple of helper Cities that can share Cottage squares with the capital, especially the non-riverside ones. Being able to share food Resources early on, as DynamicSpirit mentions, allows a nearby City to borrow the food Resource and grow more quickly... pre-Religion and before you have the Hammers to invest in Monuments, it can be nice to have a food-based Resource already in your cultural borders, when an alternative City location that you might choose might only have a food Resource in its outer squares, which could require a long wait for you to use it.

If a helper City were to be able to use the Rice, I'd even work that square in the helper City as a Cottage later, assuming that we had another source of Rice available, since getting it irrigated post-Civil-Service would require having 2 less Grassland Cottages in the capital. Put another way, Cottaging it allows for +3 net Cottages. You definitely want it Farmed early on for the +2 Health in any City with a Granary, but later on it can make for a decent Financial Cottage once you have another Rice Resource connected or received in trade.

I'm slightly tempted to move the Settler 1N, which would provide more land-based squares for the capital and would allow for a helper City to work the Rice (later a Rice Cottage), but doing so will depend upon how many additional Peak squares and other junk squares the Scout reveals after moving NW + NW, or whether another food Resource gets revealed to the north that would be out of reach of settling in place. Still, I'll probably end up settling in place, as its hard to give up the Plains Hills starting square, the food from the Clam to balance the loss of food from working the Gold Mine, and a Financial Coast square is still far better than a Peak. Then there's the inability to build The Great Lighthouse in a non-coastal capital to consider, too, meaning the need to find another good coastal City site early on.

12. Htadus

Htadus A and L's dad

Mining first will speed up the tech progress while building the WB. But there is no better option for worker being the first build. Mining first actually use the worker more efficiently too (no wasted turns). I may test that.

Pig is the king at that start location. AG is unnecessary for ideal play. I typically play an inefficient game, often. I should consider skipping Ag. And go Mining first :p. :lol:

@Dhoom
    Would you really walk away from a 2H city center? Gain a mountain (likely) and a 1 food ocean tile so you can gain 2 unknown tiles, loose a turn and a HPT?

13. AlanH

I've upload the Mac save now. Apologies for its late arrival, and Happy New Year - especially to our small band of Mac players.

14. Dhoomstriker

It depends upon what the Scout reveals, but likely not.

NW + N of the Settler looks like either a Peak or a Plains Hills square. If it is a Plains Hills square, then it might also be an acceptable spot to settle, if something else good gets revealed.

Still, probably the best play is going to be to settle in place and focus one's tech path on building The Great Lighthouse in the capital.

After that, head to Civil Service and Machinery, building a navy over time. Naval warfare is hit-and-miss, but if you have 6+ Galleys amassed (and a Trireme or two to guard them after getting Metal Casting), then your navy should be able to withstand the odd AI boat that comes at it. Then, raid from the seas, stealing Workers and Cities, like any good Viking would do.

Don't forget to build Trading Posts (aka Viking Lighthouses) before building the majority of your navy, for the free Promotion! On this difficulty level, you MIGHT want 1 Galley before getting a Trading Post, to fend off Barb Galleys or to settle a nearby island.

It probably wouldn't hurt to toss in Construction at some point... I think that Catapults cannot Bombard from a boat but can at least suicide attack from a boat, with a chance to survive and heal in safety.

Some Berserkers could promote up the City Raider line, since so many people love those Promotions, but be sure to have at least a couple of units promoted up the Combat line to help hold a captured City from a potential mix of enemy Maces, Knights, Catapults, and Musketmen.

15. Minou

Minou King

@AlanH Thanks for uploading the Mac save. I promise it will get at least one use.

16. The-Hawk

The-Hawk Old Original Geezer

The good news is the GOTM web page seems to be back up. The bad news is it won't accept submissions for WOTM64, I assume because the date has passed. Will submissions be reopened for a day or two?

17. AlanH

I've extended all deadlines that expired during the outage to 15th February. See my sticky announcement in each of the xOTM forums.