News: WOTM 72, Montezuma, starts Feb 20

Deckhand

Procrastination at its finest
GOTM Staff

WOTM 72: Montezuma of Aztec.

Unique buildings were introduced in Warlords, including the amazing Sacrificial Altar. And yet, the player has never been Montezuma for WOTM.
Until Now.
Monarch level, so probably too easy for most of you and too hard for some; hopefully just right for somebody. No map edits.

Game settings:
Playing as: Montezuma of Aztec
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Monarch
Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No goody huts
Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Continents
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Worldsize_standard
Climate: Climate_temperate
Sea level: Sealevel_medium

Montezuma is Aggressive and Spiritual, and you start with Mysticism and Hunting.

The Aggressive trait gives free Combat I promotion for melee and gunpowder units and double production speed of Barracks and Drydock

The Spiritual trait gives no anarchy and double production speed of Temple

Unique unit: Jaguar (replaces Swordsman)
The Jaguar benefits from: base strength = 5, requires access to nothing, +10% City attack, free promotions: woodsman1, and 35 hammers to build (on normal speed). This compares with the Swordsman which has: base strength = 6, requires access to iron, and 40 hammers to build (on normal speed).

Unique Building: Sacrificial Altar (replaces Courthouse)
reduces Maintenance 50%, only 50% Anger Duration from sacrificing population :mad:, costs 90 hammers (120 for Courthouse)

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 20 Feb 2016, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 4 Apr 2016.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Warlords (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Beyond the Sword), patched to version 2.13, and with the HOF mod version 2.13.003 installed. You can download the HOF mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

If you have not installed BtS, you will need to update the relevant DLL files in order to match the Locked Assets checks. These are available here.**

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Warlords (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Beyond the Sword), patched to version 2.13, and with the Mac HOF mod version 2.13.001 installed. You can download the Mac HOF mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

72 games and first time Monty!? About time.
Let us each slaughter fifty thousand slaves to celebrate this auspicious occasion.

While SIP is not the ideal capital I'd hate to spurn the fish, especially with Aztec, so probably SIP if the scout finds nothing moving to the plains hill.

Conversely, I'd wager to guess Monty has been used the most in GOTM.

I hope the Jag actually has his bonus in Warlords...he's terrible in vanilla.

Kinda odd seafood start, but can use the FPH to get out fast wb. Probably start warrior first here since it will take forever for a worker to do anything. Just whip worker out after BW. Fish>Mining>BW. Then a Jag or two for worker stealing/choke fun.

Prolly some resource 2S1E of scout.

Conversely, I'd wager to guess Monty has been used the most in GOTM.
:goodjob:
7 times in GOTM and 3 times in BOTM.
Isabella, Julius, and Qin have also starred 7 times in GOTM.

I hope the Jag actually has his bonus in Warlords...he's terrible in vanilla.
+1 City attack

How exactly does the sac. alter work? If I build it with say 30 turns of unhappiness already built up, does it drop to 15?? Or is it just that my next whip will push it only to 35 instead of 40?

My memory is a little hazy, but I don't think the sacrificial altar alters the duration of any unhappiness that was already there before you built it. And presumably if for any reason it got destroyed, I'm guessing (but haven't tried it) that would likewise not alter the duration of any existing unhappiness. It is amazingly powerful once it's built though - being able to whip every 5 turns without the unhappiness building up is quite something!

On the start, if the scout reveals no seafood to the South then I'd be rather tempted to settle in-place, build workboats as soon as we have fishing, and then use the capital as a settler-worker pump. Not ideal I know in terms of slow start, but it looks like if we want to move, it'd take ages to move somewhere worth moving to. Capital will probably have to be relocated quite early in the game though :(

btw that's a very gruesome picture you've chosen for this game, Deckhand!

Warlords is a pretty decent expansion for Monte:
We get Woodsman I and Combat I for free on our Jaguars
Our Jaguars get the 10% City Attack bonus
We have cheap Barracks, allowing for instant Woodsman II units or an instant Cover Promotion (25% against Archery units)
One downside is that the Woodsman III Promotion only exists in BtS, so while Woodsman II is a good Promotion, it is still a dead end in the Warlords' Promotion tree.
Warlords has Anarchy during Golden Ages, so the Spiritual Trait is stronger here than it is in BtS
Spoiler :

Also, a Sacrificial Altar is brilliant! Let's say that you have a ton of Whipping Unhappiness stored up. Let's say that you then complete the Sacrificial Altar. Then, enough turns pass that 1 Whipping Unhappiness has worn off (I'm not sure exactly how the fractions get calculated for that first Whipping Unhappiness wearing off). 5 turns later, though, another Whipping Unhappiness will wear off, even though you whipped before owning the Building!!!

If seafood gets revealed by the Scout moving 1S, then it may be tempting to settle the capital on the PH For, but then City 2 might be a lot weaker than it could have been, while one of the Fish will have been wasted.

There could be a case made for being able to build more Cottages by moving to the PH For. But, why not just stick with the Fish, whip a lot of units, and then go capture an AI capital that's better than ours for Commerce and move the Palace?

Don't forget, there is no woodsman III promotion in Warlords.

edit, :ninja:

ack! No Woody III in Warlords. I always forget that. Really the only true fun with Jags. You can still choke and steal though, but Woody III not only gives you the medics, but also great odds on Archers in forests.

I won't play this because of Warlords.

Sacrificial Altar afaik simply cuts the whipping-anger-duration in half, so if you have 60T, then you have 30T but you'll have the same amount of :mad: , it just wears off twice as fast.

Top Bottom