Nex-Gen Discussion: Six Months Later

A representative from LucasArts said months ago in a Nintendo Power issue that a lightsaber game would be 'very intriguing,' or something along those lines. Knowing how many Star Wars games are made and the possible demand for a good lightsaber game, most people agree it's just a matter of time.

I heard those rumours, something more solid would be nice. Much like an official announcemnt regarding KoTOR 3 would be very welcome

No nintendo did not win anything. Have you seen any great killer apps for it yet? NO! 80% of launch 360's broke within the first year. And 50% of the new ones are likely to break. I was at my friends house when his 360 decided it wasn't good enough to read any disc anymore. He had never moved it. As for taking time. Microsoft launched the 360 4 years after the launch of the first XBOX. Giving them little time to improve. PS2 came out in 2000. PS3 came out in 2006. Giving a huge leap in technology and features. You have no idea what you are talking about. And for your info I am not a fan boy. I just use my opinion on which I think is best with the given software and hardware. PS3 is the winner.

Well 400% of the PS3 will kill their owners in their sleep. I was at a friends house and it fired a lazer and killed him.

Seriously while the failure rate of the 360 is pretty high. Having a 80% failure rate of launch 360 (and 50% of current) would make MS recall them.

Right now I have a 360 and Wii. I must say I like the 360 more. With games Halo 3, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, and Lost Odyssey (just to name afew); and Crackdown, Dead Rising and Gears of War out now. It has a great line up.

Winning what? Sony has seen thier stocks slip, the PSP was blown out of the water and is largely a commercial failure, the PS3 is overpriced and hopelessly far behind.

If they lowered the price to around 200-250, I would probably get one, but 600 is just...too...much if your wanting to sell massive quantities. Many a game system has failed because of overpricing (there is a myriad of them in the early nineties especially).

EDIT: Console wars are fun! It reminds me of my immature youth :p

Dont discount the PSP just yet. Its just comming into its for now though miles behind the NDS. PSP prices have been recently cut though i would like to see another drop (very unlikely) into the NDS range.

the manufacture cost of PS3 = way to much thanks to BR drive is the MAJOR reason why ps3 is tanking at the moment. If the ps3 came out with DVD drive it could reduce pos cost dramaticly.

the manufacture cost of PS3 = way to much thanks to BR drive is the MAJOR reason why ps3 is tanking at the moment. If the ps3 came out with DVD drive it could reduce pos cost dramaticly.

FriendlyFire, this was explained on the last page. The PS3 games are all released on Blu-Ray discs; it's impossible to release a DVD-only version of the PS3, because it wouldn't be able to play any of the games!

Sony's made some questionable decisions, but they aren't that stupid. :)

FriendlyFire, this was explained on the last page. The PS3 games are all released on Blu-Ray discs; it's impossible to release a DVD-only version of the PS3, because it wouldn't be able to play any of the games!

Sony's made some questionable decisions, but they aren't that stupid. :)

Apparently they are which is why after ps1, ps2 sony are tanking with the ps3.
the DR drive is why the ps3 is way above the market price for a game console. I know its not going to happen with 7 DVD per BR. which means dvd swapping, bigger HDD or develers cut corners.

Anyway sony made the dicision and now they get to have there cake.

Nintendo Employees Generate $2.5 Million Each

Yay! for Nintendo, but you think they could drop the prices. :rolleyes:

Here's a chart I found comparing the first 6 months of this generation with the last generation. Interesting how the 360 and PS3 did weaker than the Gamecube because of production shortages at launch.

Of course that's just the first 6 months and won't likely tell the full story.

because those are just initial results. as soon as people starting telling others about it they figured out just how crappy the thing is.

The wierd thing is, the PS3 at launch sold over 50,000 more units than the 360 since its launch time to the PS3 launch. So why is it getting 'Oh my God, PS3 is teh most hugest failure in video games'?

Huh? Am I understanding this correctly? :confused: (The wording is extremely confusing.) It sounds as though you're saying that the PS3 at launch sold more units than the 360 did in its first year ("since its launch time to the PS3 launch"). That's definitely not true, no matter how you spin the numbers. At the time of the PS3/Wii launch in November 2006, the 360 had sold about 5.5 million units worldwide. The PS3 still hasn't sold anywhere close to that number TODAY, much less during its launch.

Or perhaps you wanted to compare the early months for each console? Six months into the lifespan of each console, they had both sold almost exactly the same amount, roughly 3.3 million worldwide. The PS3 had been trending above the 360 in this category, but recent slow sales have slightly pushed it below its competitor. But they're really so close as to be no different.

Of course, it would be more accurate to say "this statistic is meaningless" because no one cares how well the PS3 sold compared to the 360 LAST YEAR. What matters is how each is doing NOW. And the competition between these two is rather silly anyway, since the Wii is outselling both of them combined in every region. (For comparative purposes, the sales of the Wii in its first six months were about 7.9 million, compared to 3.3 million for 360/PS3, although this is again a dubious stat.)

We'll get a clearer picture of how things are going right now in America next week with the official May NPD sales info. All numbers in this post were courtesy of vgchartz.com, for the curious. :)

But wouldn't total sales be more important than what is sold each month? The 360 is still the top-selling next-gen, but Wii will soon surpass it. And I meant the PS3 sold more in its first three months than the 360, over 50,000 more units.

And actually the PS3 is being discriminatory media. "The media is just plain stupid" says Michael Pachter, analyist with Wedbrush Morgan Securities.

People say the PS3 is a failure, because they haven't met the outworldly expectations in sales. Negative perception of the PS3 happened because of scarcity of PS3s that were mostly being sold at outrageous prices on eBay. Then, those auctions stopped, and a surplus of PS3s appeared in stores. Also, great PS2 games are still appearing. (God of War II)

(Source: Game Informer Issue 170 Volume 17 Number 6 June 2007)

And I believe that the PS3 fanbase will grow higher and surpass the 360 and Wii by the end of the decade, mainly because by then, Nintendo and Microsoft will work on the Xbox 460 and Wii 2 or Super Wii (Or if going Japanese numbers, Wii Ni). :p

wii has only just started. do you honestly think they are going to drop the wii at its best stages? i highly doubt that, they are going to stay with the wii for awhile and come up with a new system when all things wii arent selling that much anymore.

But wouldn't total sales be more important than what is sold each month? The 360 is still the top-selling next-gen, but Wii will soon surpass it. And I meant the PS3 sold more in its first three months than the 360, over 50,000 more units.

No, you're still missing the point. Comparing launch numbers doesn't really tell much of the story. Heck, the Dreamcast had an amazing launch in the United States, but it didn't make a difference because sales fell catastrophically afterwards. No one cares if the PS3 sold more than the 360 did in their respective first three months on the market. (Although this is also untrue; the 360 sold 1.86 million units in this timeframe compared to 1.68 million for the PS3.) What matters is that ever since the two have been on the market together, the 360 has consistently outsold the PS3 (everywhere except Japan, that is). Just for discussion's sake:

November 2006
360: 5.11 million worldwide
PS3: 0 million (had not launched yet)
Difference: 5.11 million

June 2007
360: 9.91 million worldwide
PS3: 3.37 million
Difference: 6.54 million

The PS3 is further behind now than it was before it started! THAT'S why this whole "comparing launches" thing doesn't mean jack. Conversely, since you brough up the Wii, let me add those numbers too:

November 2006
360: 5.11 million worldwide
Wii: 0 million (had not launched yet)
Difference: 5.11 million

June 2007
360: 9.91 million
Wii: 7.95 million
Difference: 1.96 million

Total install base IS important, but the most important thing that publishers look at is which platforms are moving the most hardware and software. That's why the 360 is in relatively good shape in America; the Wii is doing better at moving hardware, but the 360 consistently sells more software. Whether this will continue to hold true as the Wii's install base inches closer to that of the 360 is an open question.

PS3 is far from dead, but definitely needs to improve hardware and software sales significantly. This holiday season will be critical.

And actually the PS3 is being discriminatory media. "The media is just plain stupid" says Michael Pachter, analyist with Wedbrush Morgan Securities.

People say the PS3 is a failure, because they haven't met the outworldly expectations in sales. Negative perception of the PS3 happened because of scarcity of PS3s that were mostly being sold at outrageous prices on eBay. Then, those auctions stopped, and a surplus of PS3s appeared in stores. Also, great PS2 games are still appearing. (God of War II)

Michael Pachter is a moron and has no idea what he's talking about. He was predicting a worldwide victory for the PS3 as recently as four weeks ago, before the April NPD figures came out and showed just how big of a fool he'd made of himself.

People saying that the PS3 is a failure are definitely being harsh, I'd agree. But those claims aren't too far off the mark either, especially compared to the PS2. Again, just to throw out one example: in its entire lifetime (2001 to present), the PS2 has only sold less than 200k consoles twice in the official NPD data. Twice! Over the last six years! And the PS2 has NEVER sold less than 100k consoles in America, at any point in time. Yet the PS3 has been under 200k for the last three months running (February, March, and April) and it was under 100k last month, only selling a paltry 82k units. All signs are that it will be even less than that for May, which would be very, very bad news for Sony.

Maybe the bar was set unfairly high after the runaway success of the PS2, but these are still historically low number for the Playstation brand. You have to go all the way back to 1995-96, when the original PS1 was getting on its feet, to find numbers this low. I'm not trying to bash the PS3, just report on the sale figures here.

And I believe that the PS3 fanbase will grow higher and surpass the 360 and Wii by the end of the decade, mainly because by then, Nintendo and Microsoft will work on the Xbox 460 and Wii 2 or Super Wii (Or if going Japanese numbers, Wii Ni). :p

That's certainly possible, but why would the most successful systems be abandoned first? That makes no sense. The "losers" are almost always the ones who rush new nex-gen systems to market. (See: Sega Master System -> Genesis/Megadrive, Saturn -> Dreamcast, Microsoft XBox -> 360.) The most successful systems always have the longest lifespans, surviving long after they've become graphically outdated due to their huge install bases. (See: Nintendo NES, SNES, Gameboy, GBA; Sony Playstation 1 and the continuing success of PS2.)

Anything can happen, but if the Wii hits 50% market share, I'd bet that it lasts longer than the third place console, whichever one that happens to be. It's all about the money, after all. :)

without any games either thats sad. people need to learn PATIENCE. hmm should i pay 10000 on a game system when i could wait a couple months when there are some actual games to buy and its only 800$ to buy?

If Xbox 360 didnt get the early start Wii would have surpassed it awhile ago. but that would be if the nintendo company didnt want to perfect their game system. i must admit that the xbox 360 came out fairly fast and functional. if nintendo had this speed with its ability to make new ideas for systems such as the wii they would be unstoppable.

Top Bottom