1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Next 3 cities

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by 2metraninja, Jan 11, 2013.

1. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

As of now, we do have 7 cities planted and growing nice. We are collecting money, which will be enough to give us our next tech to increase our income and support growing empire. This collect money/research technology cycle will take us some 10-15 turns in which time we could produce 3 more settlers an be ready to settle them.

The question which we have to discuss and decide is where we are going to settle those.

2. whb

whb King

In the NW, I'd wonder about 1S of the horses. This would give: coastal, cow, horse, rice, 2 wine. The pigs could then be used for a more northerly city.

In the NE, I think there's a few options around getting yet more floodplains and some calendar resources.

3. vranasm

vranasm Deity

directly west 1N above pigs is very good spot with 1st ring pigs, plains hill and overlap on 2 capital cottages for some awesomness and lower maintenance

then I feel towards those wines...

not sure around more spots since you still didn't prepare the sandbox as advertised ;-)

4. 2metraninja

Sigh, right, guilty on the sandbox case. Three nights I had hard tasks - 2 nights workout at the gym and last night dueling bistrita. Cant say which was heavier LOL. Today is Friday so hopefully tonight or in the weekend I will manage to update the sandbox.

5. 2metraninja

Agree on the west pig city, it will be also coastal, which can prove very handy if we discover RB have a coastal city too while we scout their territory. Then we might want to get Sailing if we still have no road to Spaniards or we could not get OB with them. Pig city can work few less popular capitol cottages too (plain ones).

As for the wines/stone border city, I am most excited for, because it is better to claim those lands earlier than later. In fact, RB could settle it and say our border agreement was up to turn 100 only, as we renegotiated only NAP and no-espionage-spending to turn 130. So if they settle a city there we can spend weeks arguing who is right and at the end we might become the dealbreakers. You know, possession is nine-tenths of the law. Especially when backed up with stronger military. So I prefer we set the boundary and just as the locked doors - those who want will still break in, but locks are there to keep the decent people decent.

Third city I would love we to settle is the Marble in the north-east.

And fourth (but not in order, maybe even before the pigs city) I want we to settle the beaver-deer city in the south coast. It is close, it will give all our cities +1 happy and it will be good enough to be self-sustained and frowing with furs for 5 commerce tile and a deer tile for 4 food/1hammer. Then we can work coast and lakes for effortless 3commerce tiles after 70-beakers Fishing tech.

6. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I think it would be best to be ready to settle the wine city as soon as we get Monarchy, so I think that should be the first city we plant. I am not sure about where to place the others since I am not too sure where they are.

7. 2metraninja

You mean you dont know where our cities are now or where are spots which we discuss for future cities? If you see the areas, you can propose spots for settling, this is half the idea of this thread - to get possible settling spots ideas :)

8. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

If classical_hero is like me, he means that it's hard to follow the discussion without pretty pictures to look at! I'll try to get some in this thread when I have a chance to log in and take some screenshots.

I agree with 2metra that settling west and securing our Stone has to be a priority. We haven't seen the area between us and RB in some 50 turns. They could have cities on the coast of Thunder Bay or even next to the Oasis, for all we know. We need to at least scout the area, but I wouldn't mind if our next three cities went 1N of the Pigs, 1S of the Horses, and then a city to claim the Stone (unsure where exactly the best location would be, probably depends on if RB has already settled in this vicinity).

Tundra fishing villages never appeal to me. I know how good they can be, and I've seen players do awesome things with loads of worthless-looking coastal cities like that, but it's just not my style. The +1 happy from fur would be great, though, so I'm not saying I'm opposed, just I'm not used to that type of city placement.

The best overall city locations are still in the northeast, with the Marble and all those FP, but that is probably the area that is most secure for us still, so we can probably wait a bit before planting more cities in that area.

9. whb

whb King

It'd be handy if we could put somewhere screenshots of the surrounding terrain, not just our cities, so that those of us who don't log into the game know what the territory looks like.

10. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Ask, and you shall receive.

West
    Spoiler :

Northeast
    Spoiler :

South
    Spoiler :

11. whb

whb King

Thank you! :)

12. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Thanks for screenies. I think our general goal should be settling those areas that are closer to dispute areas than areas we have control over. I would say that the south area is only useful once we have currency, so I would wait until then before settling there. The area near the stone needs to be scouted since we could be able to settle a few cities there if the terrain above what we know it fertile enough to support a city around there. So my first city would be around that region with a leaning towards being on the coast and by the river so we can expand to get the stone. Well this could change if we find that it is better to found a stone city a further north. If we do find better land for a stone city, then I would say we settle that first and have another settler ready to settle on the wines if we don't go for the first option.

The NW region looks like it could hold 5 cities if we place them right.
    1 North of the southern pigs is a good site to eventually found, but we can wait on that one since it is in our region of control.
    1 SW of the northern pigs looks to be a far better site on the desert hill, since we get some added protection for it being on an hill.
    Then there is the corn we can settle and if we don't get the fish with the stone/wine city, then we want it with this city.

For the NE if we want to get the marble, I think we need two cities for that. The desert hill by the 1 tile lake that we have marked for potential city and then we settle the marble city.

So if ewe want both the stone and marble it will more than likely require 4 cities to get the benefit out of those resources. Two make each resource viable.

13. Aivoturso

Aivoturso King

I'm with Classical Hero. I think we can afford to settle now the cities to where we want our borders to reach (before wars anyway). I'm actually a bit nervous of not having a single city between our capital and RB. We do have NAP with them but we're still very open for pink dotting and we don't have any agreement on settling or borders with them yet. In fact, if I remember correctly, they have pointedly not responded to our requests of establishing a border agreement.

Hence my suggestion is to put the next city in the wine area. The second should grab rest of the FP to the direction of Spanish Apo. Third, I think would be wise then to use to put into between the wines and our capital to make our empire easier to defend.

14. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Our next two settlers should definitely go to the West to claim the land between us and RB.

City 1 should be on the river 1W of the Western wine (the "or city?" location). This gets us 3 wines, fish and stone and the oasis. Location-wise it gives us access to thunder bay and blocks RB getting across the isthmus.

City 2 should follow as soon as possible and should be 5 tiles North of City 1 to secure the northern approach to the isthmus. This river city gets us bananas, clams, rice and 2 floodplains.

15. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

We really need to scout this area. I would not be at all surprised if RB has already placed a city here. They'd have to have pretty good land in other directions to ignore this nice location with their first 8 cities.

Likewise, they could already have a city on Thunder Bay that contests the Fish, especially since they have a culture advantage with SH.

16. 2metraninja

Agree with that. But I think we must not settle "just to secure the land". We of course must send there scout/representative, even garrison, but we must settle good land, which can become productive quick. In the NW such city could be "Or city here?" - north of the floodplain between Copper and Cow. It have cow in the first ring and a forest in the first ring to be chopped in to a quick temple for 5-turns second border pop-up to get the very strong Pigs tile in the north and Horses west. Will have also a flood plain in the first ring and 4 lake tiles to work for 2 food3commerce after the 70-beakers Fishing. Will be good food/production/whip city, which we need in this stage to whip those settlers/workers to claim the rest of the land. As for with this postponing having the Stone, well, Stone was crucial for Pyramids. Right now - not much.
    Agree with that, it is a good region. Also, right now WPC wont be able to build there, and IIRC we have no strict border agreement and we can cross the mathematical border with half a city or two?

On the RB border issue,
    They actually made a statement that they "dont plan on settling provocative" but you point is valid. I can imagine that if they settle all the land between us and settle right close to our capitol they might say: "this is our next city in this direction, we did not traveled empty land to come and settle here." But I think they will still think twice and three times before provoking us. They know what history we had and they know how bad an ancient war can be for all the teams involved. The whole idea of us wanting a border agreement with them was to be able to settle all the other directions and just then we come back and settle towards each-other. Maybe we must reinitiate the border discussion? They already know where our capitol is so they can judge where would be "reasonable" borderline.

I think this must be settled after the city which to be closer to the capitol I described earlier. If we already have Monarchy, maybe, but otherwise just to claim the land? Is it worth?

Yes, this could be a great city. A bit distant I think and more like number 5-6 from now in my opinion though.

Agree with that. In the Northeast, I think we must settle first the desert hill marked "city?". I checked this site versus the proposed by Cav location on the green tile. What I have counted is that the desert hill location claims more good cotteageable, non-shared with Raj tiles. With moving to the green tile we gain nothing, while losing the good green tile for settling itself and of course, losing the hill-top defense bonus for what is going to be border city.

17. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Here's a potential dot-map of our west.

Spoiler :

Although I doubt we'll get the Fish and Corn for our Stone city, as RB has had a long lead over us on settling this area. We'll probably have to settle it north where it gets to share the dry Rice, maybe 1E or on top of the Stone.

18. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

I like it. Let's get moving.

19. 2metraninja

Didnt we said to RB that we wont contest the corn on their side of the border?

20. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

Yeah, well, that city is a stretch even if we hadn't said that. But the other two ought to go up yesterday, if not sooner.