1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Next best leader poll part A

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Gwynnja, Jan 8, 2014.

?

Second best leader part A

1. Alexander

2.6%
  2. Asoka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Augustus

12.8%
  4. Bismarck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Boudica

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Brennus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Catherine

2.6%
  8. Churchill

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Cyrus

2.6%
  10. Darius

33.3%
  11. De Gaulle

5.1%
  12. Liz

10.3%
  13. Frederick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Gandhi

28.2%
  15. Genghis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Gilgamesh

2.6%
  17. Ham

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

Instead of arbitrarily choosing 25 of the leaders that I thought might be the next best leader, I'll go ahead and give everyone a fair shake by having three sets of polls so that every leader has the opportunity to be voted upon. In a couple weeks, I'll have a championship poll.

2. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

Still cannot make a choice between Darius and DeGaulle. DeGaulle's IND trait vs far better uniques of Persia... eeeerggghh DeGaulle.
    Because of alpha order I would have to make another diff choice between Pacal and Pericles and Ramesses ;/

3. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I went with Darius. I've gotten a bit of an epiphany over how useful the spiritual trait is, but the combination of traits, UU and cheap courthouses, lighthouses and factories with Darius is much more beneficial. Cheaper upkeep is the cherry on top, making him a very, very strong leader IMO.

Industrious for fast wonders or failgold economy is ofc great, but overall I rate Darius' strengths as better.

4. Aje

Aje Chieftain

Voted Darius

Tier1: Darius & Gandhi
    Tier2: Augustus, De Gaulle, Liz and Giggles

5. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

@Aje
    Asoka and Cyrus are not so far away from optional leaders of those civs. It is just changing 1 or 2 traits into also strong traits, so I am astonished you did not put them in Tier2 (+ Cyrus has really nice war synergy, IMP for faster generals from early warring with powerful UU boosted by charismatic trait, charismatic meaning also you can whip immortal rather than chop with no unhappiness impact compering to Darius)

With Persia it is just a matter of choosing victory condition. I rather go space than BC conquest, so value Darius more

6. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

I voted Gandhi. I'm not much of an early rusher, but usually like to rex and develop my lands peacefully and break out later. Gandhi's fast worker is by far the best UU for this as it is the only really useful UU in a peaceful early game (except that some military UU might be good for barb defense). And the fast worker is always useful on every start, allowing me to develop my lands faster. His traits provide a fast track to lib which gives a larger window of opportunity when it is time to break out.

Asoka also benefits from the fast worker, but ORG is not as strong as PHI unless you rush someone to grab a lot of land early.

7. Aje

Aje Chieftain

I agree to this, but it somehow seems wrong for me to pick two leader from the same Civ. I now realize though that I voted Rammy in one of the polls and said that Hatty is top tier in another. So much for consistency :crazyeye:

8. Macksideshow

Macksideshow Prince

Do I vote in all polls or just the poll with the leader I think is #2?

9. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

Which ever you prefer

10. Izuul

Izuul Level 86

IMO this is easily the best group of leaders out of the 3 polls. Augustus, Darius, and Gandhi are all fantastic and De Gaulle and Lizzy are very good as well. This one is difficult for me to decide, but i think i will take Darius a bit ahead of Gandhi.

11. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

Darius for obvious reasons. Then believe it or not De Gaulle. His traits work amazing together with IND providing big early research (fail gold) and CHA allows you to work more tiles and whip more. Also, IND in conjunction with his starting techs makes virtually any early wonder/sling shot possible.

3rd would be Gandhi because of the fast worker (otherwise I'm not a big fan unless I see stone).

I'd give Izzy more love if it weren't for her horrible starting techs which play a significant role in how strongly a leader can open. She just starts too damn slow when compared to so many other leaders that have worse traits/uu/ubs.

12. Strickl3r

Strickl3r Prince

Do you mean spain or england with Izzy?
    I don't think England is to bad, a sea food opening is not that rare and mining still is usefull without sea food. AH start is a problem though.

13. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

Bella.

Easy levels like Monarch (perhaps Emperor) and below Gandhi/Asoka are some of the BEST rushers for units like chariot/axe/sword all because of the fast worker which gives them the most production via fastest chops possible. Gandhi the Barbarian!!

14. Sun Tzu Wu

Sun Tzu Wu Deity Supporter

I voted for Augustus. Almost any map will have Iron and a technology path that prioritizes Iron Working relatively early enough will almost always permit a settler to claim Iron and thus allow the production of Praetorians. Mining is a great starting technology that allows an easy beeline to Iron Working through Bronze Working. Fishing allows early Sailing for water maps and Industrious provides a great chance of securing The Great Lighthouse. The Industrious trait permits a fail wealth economy and also a good shot at The Oracle for Metal Casting which allows cheap Forges and extra happiness via mining resources. The Forum does add much, but +25% GPPpt is much better than nothing. The Imperialistic trait allows quick settlers to claim early resources in addition to Copper, Iron and Ivory; the extra great generals really helps too. Where the Imperialistic trait can really help is with settler spamming near the end of a domination victory.

Darius I is also good, but Immortals provide a bonus only versus archery units, though the fortification bonus is nice. There is also a good chance that Horse will not be available. Darius I has one great trait, Financial, and a good one, Organized. Just doesn't match the great unique unit and synergy that Augustus has.

Elizabeth has great traits, but she primarily expands peacefully until Redcoats. Redcoats can be drafted and they dominate until Infantry.

De Gaulle has a nice unique unit that can capture a few cities with espionage and spies. They can of course be used as draftable suicide units to damage top defenders in a cuirassier rush. It just doesn't make him second only to Huayna Capac.

Sun Tzu Wu

15. drewisfat

drewisfat Prince

Wooot I converted STW! Augustus for president !

16. babar

babar King

Gandhi. My favourite unrestricted leader, and there is no better UU than the fast worker really. Surprised Asoka hasn't got a vote. He has to be one of the best leaders for an early war.

Liz is definitely next for me and probably objectively better.

I guess most of us have gone off ORG since BTS discouraged pre-gunpowder war, but Darius is great in the right circumstances.

De Gaulle is fun - lots of promos and wonders, or if you're playing more seriously, strong with whipping and fail gold.

17. Sun Tzu Wu

Can someome explain how BtS discouraged pre-gunpowder warfare?

I've been considering using a beeline to Alphabet to use the espionage slider or great spy infiltration or even settling great spies, etc. to support early warfare. So, I'm not even sure the highlighted statement above is true, when leveraging the espionage subsystem.

Sun Tzu Wu

18. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

Cuirassiers combined with a standardized AI beeline for engineering and guilds vs liberalism.

19. Sun Tzu Wu

Although I still think Augustus is the second best leader, I did want to mention that I really like Gilgamesh. His starting technologies of Agriculture and The Wheel are really great. His unique unit, the Vulture (strength 6 axeman with +25% versus melee), is the best Bronze Working based unit. His unique building, the Ziggurat, is available at Priesthood and costs only 75% of the base Courthouse cost. His Creative trait is one of the best. His only drawbacks are the Protective trait, which provides more benefit (primarily free Drill I and City Garrison I on archery and gunpowder units) than generally recognized and the real possibility of no Copper.

Sun Tzu Wu

20. GKey

GKey Emperor

Can't believe, Liz got 0 votes by now. I voted Gandhi though.