Next best leader poll part B

Second best leader part B

• Total voters

Gwynnja

Deity
Instead of arbitrarily choosing 25 of the leaders that I thought might be the next best leader, I'll go ahead and give everyone a fair shake by having three sets of polls so that every leader has the opportunity to be voted upon. In a couple weeks, I'll have a championship poll.

Pericles vs Pacal and possibly Hanni, Joao and MM. But still: Pericles

Voted Mansa
This was a though one for me:

Tier1: MM, Pac, Hatty
Tier2: Peter, Pericles, Hanni, JC
And a lot of the others aren't bad

Still a though choice.

Tough choice as there are a lot of good leaders there, and it's not easy choosing between Mansa, Hatsepshut, Pericles and several others. Went with Hatty though. Strong rush unit, good traits, and creative goes well with rushing.

I feel many of these polls comes down to playstyle though. If I was more of a peaceful REXer with GP focus I'd go with Pericles (or Mansa as I love financial), but rushing is fun! :hammer:

Mansa for me. He is incredibly strong for building an early economy with his traits, and the UU keeps you safe for a good while. Strong starting techs as well. The UB is so-so, but boosting a building that I build in most cities anyway doesn't hurt!

Hatty might be the best, but I'm not going to vote for her here since I'm voting for Ramesses in the 3rd group.

Pericles has great early game traits, but IMO his poor starting techs often prevent them from really shining. He's a very slow starter since in many cases neither of his starting techs are useful. You would think that cheap library + Philo would be amazing but the truth is that it just takes Pericles so long to get to Writing most of the time that this advantage is largely negated. Additionally, Fishing is actually quite detrimental to Pericles as he would otherwise be quite good for the Engineering bulb play.

Also, I don't really have much use for the Phalanx. I hear the argument "it has no counter" quite often, but it also has little purpose. It's still just an axe for purposes of attacking, nobody is going to pull off any Phalanx rushes at the top levels, and one spear or even some swordsmen in a stack can defend against chariots. I still think Pericles is pretty good, just not in the very top tier.

Louis XIV gets my vote here as he is my favorite leader without a power UU and there are no real power UUs in this group aside from Hatty whom I've already discounted since I'm voting for Ramesses in the next poll. Hannibal, Mansa, and Pacal would be my next choices behind Louis.

Julius Caesar has the Praetorian which is a great unique unit. Only Hatshepsut's War Chariot might be better in this group. Julius Ceasar is nearly identical to Augustus, except he has Organized rather than Industrious. Organized can be a really good trait to have after capturing many cities with Praetorians.

Praetorians have a much longer useful life at normal speed than War Chariots although they do have superior plot movement on flat land. I have to go with Julius Caesar this time due to lack of another leader in this group that matches him.

For peaceful expansion into a technology lead, Pericles has some really great traits, creative to build cheap libraries and philosophical for early universities. Despite the slow start, he can always get Oxford University completed earlier. Just needs a unique unit with a useful bonus.

Sun Tzu Wu

1. Hatty if only for her UU. Aside from that she has the best starting techs available and a killer trait combo that allows for very flexible play (settling cities, adjusting to diplomatic situations and so on).

2. Next, I'd say Mansa Musa (I'm a big fan of spiritual trait). Wheel+Mining is potentially a bit odd though, since it won't let you work food if there are pigs, cows or sheep in BFC. UU situationally useful and UB isn't too bad I guess.

3. I know it's frowned upon by most Deity players but I always have great games with Mehmed. So many cheap buildings, good UU (since you can just draft it with cannons) and UB is excellent even though he already gets +2health from expansive trait. It allows the capitol to grow very large relatively early into the game which is especially important if the capitol happens to be in a floodplains area.

I like Mansa. He's well rounded with excellent traits and a powerful unit, decent starting technologies, and a building that will be built in every city.

Top Bottom