1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Next city location

Discussion in 'Team Mad Scientists' started by Tinkerbell, Jan 8, 2009.

1. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I think it's important to get a commerce city going next. I'm usually not a fan of re-improving tiles, but I suppose we don't have much choice in this case. At least until Calendar we'll need to work a couple of farms.

I'm in favor of settling the site labeled Commerce next: CERN 6 6 6 9

2. Rantamplanzzz

Rantamplanzzz Chieftain

I woudl go for a commerce city so i would vote for commerce 1, but ¿have you thougth on moving it 2 one tile?, that way we would have access to gems, wich is happyness resource and lots of commerce.

I think we should work that tile as soon as posible.

3. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Well, we'd lose 1 riverside, 3 grasslands, and 1 grassy hill, but gain Gems, 3 riverside grasslands, and 1 mountain.

That seems better, unless I'm missing something :confused:

4. topas

topas Prince

You should consider further cities, when looking for the city-site.

Moving the city 1 tile southwards makes it significantly harder to place reasonable cities around in my opinion.

... have to look into the game in the next days to make my own proposal.

5. Rantamplanzzz

Rantamplanzzz Chieftain

I prefer to priorice explosive cityes than future cityes, Civ is an inertial game, that means teh faster you do something in the begginging the faster you are abel to do things in the future.

I would sacrifice future cityes for having explosive cityes now withouth doubt.

6. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Interesting observation.

7. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Prince

I agree, I just hope the cities won't really explode, would give quite a mess. :lol:

8. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

We need a next city location.
    Please ideas

9. topas

topas Prince

How about gems-8?

- In the beginning we build a cheap granery with mine. that Leo can build now.
    As soon as we have founded we build 1 or 2 farms on grasland to grow the city. Then we can work some (riversite)-cottages (and the gems after IW).
    - With a granery growth will be ok, but we need not whip the city anyway.
    - Probably no need for early culture.
    - some chops and some hills should help with production

After that we might want to settle ivory+cows...

Further we can settle another good cottage-city 9 of the northern banana.

10. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Gems-8 is good with me. It should be the commerce city.

11. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Let's have a picture please.

12. Hummel

Hummel Warlord

I think, I would found the city at gems 2.

At the beginning we have rice an a mine to get this city run (granary, monument). And then we have the choice between building units or get a nice commerce-city.

13. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

Here is a picture for gems 8

Attached Files:

14. topas

topas Prince

That's true. Gems-2 would be a good spot, too. Maybe even better...
    We loose river-bonus (health, easier TR, levee), but it would be quite strong from the start and fit with other city-sites.

I made a rough dot-map with the gems-2-position, because I think it's wrong to forget about future cities.
    Another city with cows+ivory is possible and should be settled rather soon with hunting and AH, but has some overlap with other cities.

(It's right, that cities should be explosive from the bat, but, if we totally loose great tiles that way, we will be behind in the middle ages or later, when the game will be decided.)

Attached Files:

15. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

Topas
    What is with the ivory, you don't want it? And I would also prefer coastal cities if possible.

So the next city 'll be at gems!

16. Hummel

Hummel Warlord

Wow, the northeast is a very nice area to place some cities. What about founding the next city at the pig/fish and create a second settler-production-city to colonize the whole surrounding area?

Cern is not really good in building settlers (especially without wood) and a city at the gems could not really help Cern.

17. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I don't like Gems-2 at all. That's a production city, not a commerce city. The gems resource isn't leveraged there. Also, 3 tiles are mountains.

I still think our long term interests are better served by starting a commerce city at Gems-8. Only 1 tile is mountainous, and we utilize 8 or 9 riverside tiles - maximizing our financial trait. It is crucial we not forget that!

I will try to post a dot map as well... (please be patient :))

18. topas

topas Prince

I also prefer coastal cities, but if we found gems-2 and want to found another coastal commerce-city (i.e. banana-9), we would waste some great riversite-graslands.
    (With the dotmap above we get a huge cottage-city in the east of CERN, but it's not coastal, has no fresh water and has 1 coastal tile...)

(If we found on gems-8, the city will be slower in the beginning, but we could found a coastal comemrce-city (banana-9) and another mediocre coastal city 2-1 of the 2nd rice. But we would have much more overlap...)

ivory+cows
    I still want to found it rather soon, but there are several positions possible, that look good. There is no clear position for it, so I just left it out of the dotmap.
    Probably it should be our fourth city, but we'll have to decide on research (and position) first.

The dotmap is just what I would do when founding gems-2.
    A rough draft with founding gems-8 is somewhere above as well...

Right now I lean a little more towards gems-2.
    (... but that has nothing to say, because I haven't read much more discussions/opinions on future city-placment, that could help me in the decision...)

19. topas

topas Prince

The NE is definately worth settling fast.

I agree, that pigs+fish could really help producing settlers, but I fear it's too far away for 3rd city.
    We'll have quite some barbs inbetween our cities rather fast and need some extra defense in CERN and the new city.

20. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

x-post w/ Topas..

Okay, here's my dotmap.

City A: Great Commerce, modest production
    City B: coastal, modest production (will grab Ivory w/ culture)
    City C: coastal, good production (naval base)
    City D: GP farm, great commerce (super-spy city)

Yeah, we've got some settlement challenges to work out, that's for certain :lol:

And I'm certainly still open to persuasion on all positions.

Attached Files: