1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Next city location

Discussion in 'Team Mad Scientists' started by Tinkerbell, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Rantamplanzzz

Rantamplanzzz Chieftain

I would go for A, that position is a great commerce city, you dont need any farm or anything just cotagges like crazy and maybe a granary.

2. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

Perhaps we should go at the coast (in the NE) to see after possible water-res befors we decide the locations there.

Peter
    you don't want the ivory like Topas

3. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I don't see gaining the Ivory better than losing a riverside grassland. The ivory is certainly nice to have before cottages are towns, but once we have the town + beneficial civics + levee + commerce modifiers, working a riverside grassland town will be much better than a plains ivory.

That doesn't mean another city could not use the ivory - I just don't see it as part of a commerce city. :)

4. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

ivory gives :) and war elephant, so we need it, I think.

5. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Ahh - I'm not saying we can't use it. I'm just saying that it doesn't need to be utilized within a city's big fat cross. In other words, I'm fine with the Ivory being achieved through culture, rather than settlement.

Does that make sense?

6. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Yes, but culture will take a long time to grow to a 2nd expansion. ;)

However, I'd probably take the ivory with another city further east.

7. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

That second expansion comes with 100 culture points, which I think we could get in a reasonable amount of time. Our commerce city will get a library, religion, monastery = 5 cpt. Yes, it takes time to build the buildings, but I really don't think there's a pressing need to get the ivory so quickly.

Upon further reflection, I won't protest if the team decides to settle Gems-2. But my preference is still for Gems-8. I don't see the logic to settling a coastal site in the NE just now - to me it seems more important to grow our commerce (and cottages) to leverage our Financial trait. The sooner we do that, the sooner we can start to make up for the better starts the other teams seem to have gotten.

8. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

Coastal is commerce too and ivory is good becuse + 1 luck in few turns, precise after hunting and build a camp, at gems we need iron first. Your idea of tiem we need ivory is at 0 AD or later.

9. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

In few turns we get a settler in Peri.
    Where should the new city found?

In the game we 've places in the north of Gottingen or in the south near the frontier to Cav.
    I would prefer the city in the north, it is nearer and we need not so many other units to help.
    The red circle shows the tiles in the pictures below.